Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning recognition?

Options
  • 07-04-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

My wife wants to do a course, maybe freelance journalism or something from www.Kilroyscollege.ie or something from open university.

How do employers view these does anyone know? Has anyone used their cert/diploma/degree to get a job?

Might do one myself to further my IT skills, or more to the point to get something on paper saying im qualified to do the job i do every day :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, from my own experience, people who've been interviewing me for jobs etc have been curious about my courses with the OU, what subjects I'm doing, why I'm doing it, is it hard etc.

I'm not sure if it made any signifigant difference though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The distance education courses offered by Oscail (Irish equivalent of OU) are accredited by DCU (IT) and Maynooth (BA), so you get a degree from them.

You want to be careful about distance education courses. Anyone could set up a course and offer an advanced diploma in <insert subject here>. Accreditation is the key and is what employers would look at.

Advertisement