Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US money question

• 07-04-2005 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question,,

my lilttle bro is going to the states for a few months, and i got him some money, and he got some himself,

but they are different , take a look at the image i have attached,

http://www.davidstokes.com/US_money.jpg

will both types be accepted in stores/bars/etc.

I've seen the bottom type before but not the top one, is it new?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The top one is the new $50. It has more security features in it. The bottom one is the old ones. Both should be accepted.

Having said that I had problems changing $2 bills and $1 coins. Some people don't even know thier own currency.

Should be ok though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

yea $2 bills and $1 coins can be hard to pass because you rarely see them in circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

tovalee wrote:
    yea $2 bills and $1 coins can be hard to pass because you rarely see them in circulation.

You rarely see them in circulation because most people consider them collectors items and therefore often hang onto them. Nice thing about american currency is you never really have to worry about it being rejected, even the old stuff. There are still coins in circulation from the 20s (maybe older, even). And when new bills are issued, the old ones are just slowly taken off the market instead of the government setting a deadline to use them. This is how it's been for the last 20 years, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1 dollar bill is the most anooying note ever, Hey i gots of money ehhh no i dont.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's one thing i don't get about american money (it's been awhile since i was there last about 4 years or so) is that all the bills are the same size.

what the hell are you meant to do if you are blind? trust a shop keeper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ah.... If you got them in a bank, worst that'll happen to him is that he'll have to go to a bank state side and get them changed.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

they'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

KdjaC wrote:
    1 dollar bill is the most anooying note ever

it's perfect for the strip clubs.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

:D Yeah, maybe they should make a €1 note for us to give to strippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Maybe that's why they do make them?? ;)

As for $2 bills! Read this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The notes are horrible and there are lots of each, was always worried I'd hand over a 50 by mistake.

Knkowing the US you have probably commited a crime by scanning them, probably the death sentence

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

they should be fine, personally i use 20's for snorting the coke off hookers stomach's, but each to there own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i actually found the $1 bill to be a very sloppy note. i was in NY last summer and found the bloody white border around them were different sizes and often crooked. Was convinced they were counterfeit but all the shops and banks took them no problem. Cheap ass printing.

WizZard wrote:
    Maybe that's why they do make them?? ;)

As for $2 bills! Read this

You need to log in. You can try this one.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43685

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

rubadub wrote:
    The notes are horrible and there are lots of each, was always worried I'd hand over a 50 by mistake.

Knkowing the US you have probably commited a crime by scanning them, probably the death sentence
    Good thing this is Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Good thing this is Ireland ;)

Good thing we have extradition laws :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i hate the $1 dollar bill also, and the fact that they are all the same size and colour is plain annoying.

i once handed in a $50 and $1 to buy two subway tokens, luckily the girl serving was honest and asked if i had anything smaller. otherwise i woudln't have noticed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They should have learned from poor oul Ray Charles and his tantrums over being paid in singles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hobbes wrote:
    You need to log in. You can try this one.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43685
    Whoops sorry. I didn't have to log-in, and I'm not a member, but it seems I don't have to in Firefox, but I do in IE. Very odd.

rubadub wrote:

Probably.. although scanning new currency these days will..
    a) Destroy your scanner.
    b) Stop the scanner from scanning it.
    c) Embed a watermark into the scan that has your scanners serial number.

btw, the $1 is the most forged bill in the world. There are even factories in certain countries churning them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

Those 2 bills are only good for hookers and blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

guy in that article is a drama queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I don't understand all these people complaining about the $1 bill. You know it says "$1" and "One Dollar" on it. If you can't figure that out, maybe you should give it to me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

FatherTed wrote:
    I don't understand all these people complaining about the $1 bill. You know it says "$1" and "One Dollar" on it. If you can't figure that out, maybe you should give it to me :P

Yeah, I grew up in the states and actually prefer having bills to coins for smallish denominations. I hate digging in to my pockets all the time for 1 or 2 euro coins. I find it's much easier to slip a few bills out of my wallet.

Heres a good story on the $2 by Woz (the creator of the mac).

http://www.woz.org/letters/general/78.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Werent those 2dollar bills mixed up with 20 dollar bills when they first came into issue? My dad has a 2dollar bill and he said they are hard to come by and people got mixed up with them with a 20 dollar bill,but this was years ago.Could be an urban myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

WizZard wrote:
    Whoops sorry. I didn't have to log-in, and I'm not a member, but it seems I don't have to in Firefox, but I do in IE. Very odd.

I had to log in using firefox...
    Commenting on the incident, Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey told the Sun: "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

LOL "he's using $2 bills, he must be a terrorist..."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saw some where that 40% (or was it 60%) of american notes are held by foreigners/overseas. So if they ever decided to stop honouring the old ones or ask for providenence for large amounts like our central bank does then a lot of people would be a tad upset.

China has a lot and they are trying to dump it whatever way they can. When I was in China went to change my currency back to Euros they gave me less then half in euros and the rest in US$. French guy just before me they did the exact same thing to, so it wasn't a case of not enough euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

where do they(china) get it from?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ColHol wrote:
    where do they(china) get it from?
    http://www.citypages.com/databank/26/1264/article12985.asp
    Last year Chinese grad-school graduates in the U.S. dropped 56 percent,

The United States has lost 1.3 million jobs to China in the last decade (CNN, Jan. 12, 2005).

Japan, China, Taiwan, and South Korea hold 40 percent of our government debt. (That's why we talk nice to them.) "By helping keep mortgage rates from rising, China has come to play an enormous and little-noticed role in sustaining the American housing boom" (NYT, Dec. 4, 2004). Read that twice. We owe our housing boom to China, because they want us to keep buying all that stuff they manufacture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i've 6 dollars left over from my holiday to Vietnam, i'm waiting for the US economy to recover before i change it back! How long has Bush got left?

Advertisement