Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One Lady Owner

Options
  • 07-04-2005 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

I for one am not impressed when I read a car ad and it says "Only one lady owner". She's probably had the car since new, never had it serviced, looked at tyre pressures, brake wear, changed the oil etc... Most women drive a car and unless there is smoke billowing out the exhaust or the thing won't start, they just keep on driving it, regardless of a maintenance & service schedule. Boy racers may drive their cars a little harder, but in general they like their cars to be running right & looking clean & tidy.
    Just my opinion....feel free to object.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too would be a bit dubious when I read 'one lady owner' (e.g. the car could be registered in her name, but driven by husband/partner).

However, I would definitely NOT buy a car that belonged to a 'boy racer' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As you said when I hear this I tend to examin things like the brakes, clutch, body panels, gear box, etc in more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Silvera wrote:

haha! :D

Don't be silly Silvera! :)

We'll put a new clutch in it before we sell it to you! lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

AlienGav wrote:
    We'll put a new clutch in it before we sell it to you! lol :p
    lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I for one am not impressed when I read a car ad and it says "Only one lady owner". She's probably had the car since new, never had it serviced, looked at tyre pressures, brake wear, changed the oil etc... Most women drive a car and unless there is smoke billowing out the exhaust or the thing won't start, they just keep on driving it, regardless of a maintenance & service schedule. Boy racers may drive their cars a little harder, but in general they like their cars to be running right & looking clean & tidy.
    No objections here, I agree 100% :) In my experience, women are especially hard on gearboxes and clutches with crunched gearchanges and unnecessary clutch riding common. I was in a car with a girl the other day and watched in horror as she held her car on a hill for about 2 minutes using the clutch only :eek: I pointed out to her the error of her ways and I got a lecture about how men are terrible drivers, we cause all the crashes blah blah blah :rolleyes:

Another thing I find is that females tend not to give a sh*t about whacking their car's wheels off a kerb when parking. I have never seen a car owned by a female which didn't have signs of bad kerbing on both front wheels. Obviously, this doesn't do the tracking and suspension any good either :)

Then you have little old ladies who drive very low mileage but it is composed almost entirely of short journeys with a cold engine. Result: disproportionate engine wear. Oil probably never gets changed or checked either.

Finally, it has been shown that women have more minor accidents and scrapes than men. The resultant minor body damage is often shoddily repaired resulting in poor paint finish and greated chance of premature rust.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Yup, i skip over those ads aswell. No objections here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

There's a little old lady at the end of my road. She drives a 98 Subaru Vivio- Tiny little car. Anyway, she must think its an automatic as anytime I hear her driving past the house, the engine is screaming as she is till in 1st gear. For years I thought it was because I live on a short road and maybe she was not changing gear. However, last week when it was a bit warm, I was driving on the main road with the window down and she was behind me. Not only could I hear that she was driving in first (at about 40KMH) but I could actually here the limiter cutting the revs every second or so. How she has been driving the car like this for 7 years, I dare not imagine!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been proven, using rigorous scientific methods that 99% of women dont give a tinkers cuss for whats going on underneath any part of a cars body except the bootlid where the shopping sits! My sister is a fine example and she's no dolt. As far as I can tell she never lifts the bonnet to check anything. Like most ppl she simply relies on a dashlight assuming they all work.

Mind you thats not always enough, years ago I was listening to Gay Byrne radio show which featured a young woman who was driving round with a dash light showing, she did'nt think to wonder what it meant dispite seeing the thing on all the time the engine was running then one day she heard a grinding sound which became deafening and then the car stopped in a smelly cloud of smoke...yep the oil light had been showing for a week and she wrecked the engine.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Silvera wrote:
    I too would be a bit dubious when I read 'one lady owner' (e.g. the car could be registered in her name, but driven by husband/partner).

i don't know, i did lots of work for boyracers and once there is no tacky body modification and LCDs sticking out of every hole, i don't really mind. Seen bad cars and the ones driven by

the same guys, which were coming all the time to put good oil/filters, HT cables good set of brake pads(sometimes vented brake discs)
    good sparkplugs and many other things. they certainly do spend money.

i know there are extremes but if you manage to get car before gets trashed , you may just end up with much better car then the one from one lady owner. Driven sometimes without oil or coolant, marked windscreen(thx to old wipers) and car which was trashed by her boyfriend which later advised her to sell it and get new one. Possibly the only work he did on the car, was to visit this buyand sell dude for tacho calibration

I think that’s the other extreme :)

Car always has to be checked, there is always a lemon out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

The worst ones are a modifyed civic or some yoke stating 1 lady owner, when its obvious its not a girls car. I think a lot of them ones are case of the boyfriends insuring the girl as main driver and themselves named for cheaper insurance??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

If my mom is anything to go by, I'd not buy anything she owned. Not that she is a bad driver or anything like that, just that she should really have a Land Rover, cannot afford one, but uses the car as though it were a Land Rover anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I remember many years ago as a child going to look at a car in Dublin, 1 lady owner etc. My dad looked over the car, 4 bald tyres, rust to beat the band. he opened the bonnet and pulled out the dipstick and it was dry as a bone, I kid you not. Needless to say he made his excuses and left in disbelief.

There's a little old lady at the end of my road. She drives a 98 Subaru Vivio- Tiny little car. Anyway, she must think its an automatic as anytime I hear her driving past the house, the engine is screaming as she is till in 1st gear. For years I thought it was because I live on a short road and maybe she was not changing gear. However, last week when it was a bit warm, I was driving on the main road with the window down and she was behind me. Not only could I hear that she was driving in first (at about 40KMH) but I could actually here the limiter cutting the revs every second or so. How she has been driving the car like this for 7 years, I dare not imagine!!!
    Mental image in my head of her bet up against the windscreen 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

My mother is 73, and drives a 98 Polo with very low mileage.

The reason is not short journeys, just that she uses the car rarely.
    Her wheels are flawless
    The car is serviced regularly (and not just mileage wise).
    The car has one or two minor dings and scratches that are normal on a 7 year old car.
    It's an automatic (only because some of her expat children have forgotten how to use a clutch) but she managed not to wear out the clutch or gearboxes on the many cars she owned before this one.
    She does not sit on the white line all day at 40kph with her face pressed to the glass, but rather drives confidently with the rest of the traffic.

Is it the human condition to broadly generalise, citing few examples, and then spread the word as "gospel"? In this case we are trying to generalise the behaviour of about 50% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I knew I was right to buy a Scoob for reliability! :D;)
    As posted herein before, 1 lady owner is all good and fine only if
    1) it checks out in facts (no previous owners, single or partner drives another car that may be seen on drive).
    2) the car checks out good (irrespective of man or woman ownership and use - e.g. in respect maintenance record, signs of kerbing, mechanical wear etc.).

I've only ever bought one car as a "1 lady owner", that was from a main dealer and the only thing this piece of info 'did' for me was to ensure (after checking, obviously) that I would be the second owner, not the 5th/6th/etc.

My mother is 73, and drives a 98 Polo with very low mileage.

The reason is not short journeys, just that she uses the car rarely.
    Her wheels are flawless
    The car is serviced regularly (and not just mileage wise).
    The car has one or two minor dings and scratches that are normal on a 7 year old car.
    It's an automatic (only because some of her expat children have forgotten how to use a clutch) but she managed not to wear out the clutch or gearboxes on the many cars she owned before this one.
    She does not sit on the white line all day at 40kph with her face pressed to the glass, but rather drives confidently with the rest of the traffic.

Is it the human condition to broadly generalise, citing few examples, and then spread the word as "gospel"? In this case we are trying to generalise the behaviour of about 50% of the population.
    Well there are exceptions to every rule & I am more than willing to accept/believe that your Mother's car is mint. It really annoys me when people start taking issue with generalisations, it is a fact of life that they exist and cannot be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

fletch wrote:
    Well there are exceptions to every rule & I am more than willing to accept/believe that your Mother's car is mint. It really annoys me when people start taking issue with generalisations, it is a fact of life that they exist and cannot be ignored

true, cars will have to be checked at the time of purchase regardless of the owner. People have always different opinions in regards to car conditions and what;s good for you could be just average for me and vice versa

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

fletch wrote:
    I for one am not impressed when I read a car ad and it says "Only one lady owner". She's probably had the car since new, never had it serviced, looked at tyre pressures, brake wear, changed the oil etc... Most women drive a car and unless there is smoke billowing out the exhaust or the thing won't start, they just keep on driving it, regardless of a maintenance & service schedule..

ppffffff
    what a load of twaddle, I do so love sweeping statements.

I drove a motorbike for 10 years and serviced it myself
    when and if I ever get a car, I'll also do as much maintenace as I can on it

now
    my bloke on the other hand
    I had to show him where the oil dip stick was in the engine of his car :rolleyes:

Beruthiel wrote:
    I drove a motorbike for 10 years and serviced it myself
    when and if I ever get a car, I'll also do as much maintenace as I can on it
    I'm happy to hear it.

fletch wrote:
    It really annoys me when people start taking issue with generalisations, it is a fact of life that they exist and cannot be ignored

This is either very witty or very sad. Let's assume the latter.

It is a fact of life that generalisations exist - but that does not make the generalisation fact.

They most certainly can, and should, be ignored. By definition, they are subject to the personal prejudices of the generaliser.

• Advertisement

This is either very witty or very sad. Let's assume the latter.

It is a fact of life that generalisations exist - but that does not make the generalisation fact.

They most certainly can, and should, be ignored. By definition, they are subject to the personal prejudices of the generaliser.
    I never suggested that a generalisation implied a piece of factual information, I merely suggested that they cannot be ignored. Much in the same way that you assumed my comment to be sad. Anyway...at the risk of going off topic...I think I will add a poll to this thread to get some statistical feedback.
    Once again, the poll will rely on peoples opinions which will be generalisations but hopefully based on past experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think everyone here criticising the generalisiations is being a bit harsh as the "one lady owner" line is meant to be seen as a generalisation albeit a different one than was taken here!

Imposter wrote:
    I think everyone here criticising the generalisiations is being a bit harsh as the "one lady owner" line is meant to be seen as a generalisation albeit a different one than was taken here!
    Very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I agree that the tone of this thread does appear, for the most part, to be attacking the 'one lady owner' marketing technique rather than attacking women. If anyone takes a look at the damaged repairables section of the buy and sell, from time to time you see adds in there for cars with crash damage with the one lady owner tagged on. I've always found that quite humorous to say the least.

alias no.9 wrote:
    I agree that the tone of this thread does appear, for the most part, to be attacking the 'one lady owner' marketing technique rather than attacking women.

The original post says
    "I for one am not impressed when I read a car ad and it says "Only one lady owner". She's probably had the car since new, never had it serviced, looked at tyre pressures, brake wear, changed the oil etc... Most women drive a car and unless there is smoke billowing out the exhaust or the thing won't start, they just keep on driving it, regardless of a maintenance & service schedule ..."

For me this is generalising how "most women" treat their cars, rather than objecting to how some people sell their cars as "one lady owner". The tone of the replies has continued in this vein.

Fletch cites my mother as "an exception to the rule". By this logic my wife, 4 of my sisters and 3 of my female friends are also exceptions. My other 2 sisters and two other female friends are not exceptions - do they prove the rule? A number of my brothers would treat their cars very badly (although none of my male friends do).

I was/am attempting to show some balance in the thread, as there were a number of messages that were generally derogatory towards how women in general treat their cars. The views espoused about women in general were contrary to my own experience of actual women I know.

Obviously we would all prefer to run with the generalisation, so I'll exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The original post says
    "I for one am not impressed when I read a car ad and it says "Only one lady owner". She's probably had the car since new, never had it serviced, looked at tyre pressures, brake wear, changed the oil etc... Most women drive a car and unless there is smoke billowing out the exhaust or the thing won't start, they just keep on driving it, regardless of a maintenance & service schedule ..."

For me this is generalising how "most women" treat their cars, rather than objecting to how some people sell their cars as "one lady owner". The tone of the replies has continued in this vein.

Fletch cites my mother as "an exception to the rule". By this logic my wife, 4 of my sisters and 3 of my female friends are also exceptions. My other 2 sisters and two other female friends are not exceptions - do they prove the rule? A number of my brothers would treat their cars very badly (although none of my male friends do).

I was/am attempting to show some balance in the thread, as there were a number of messages that were generally derogatory towards how women in general treat their cars. The views espoused about women in general were contrary to my own experience of actual women I know.

Obviously we would all prefer to run with the generalisation, so I'll exit.

I don't see how you can have a discussion about what 'one lady owner' means to someone buying a car without discussing what their perceptions of lady drivers are.

Don't be so sensitive, for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

fletch wrote:

Just as long as you don't generalise or anything?! My car has had one garage & two lady owners...best looked after vehicle I've ever been in contact with, I'm practically a qualified mechanic by now.

Duckjob wrote:
    Don't be so sensitive, for gods sake.

I assure you I am not. I am merely trying to offer an alternative view based on my own experience of how the women I know treat their cars. For some reason this seems to anger people, so I will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

How about we step away from generalisations, and speak from our own experience.
    In my own experience, the number of female drivers who I have personally observed demonstrating a very poor knowledge of the clutch and gearbox is a bit higher than that of male drivers.
    Its just one aspect of driving. I know male drivers who drive too fast and aren't great drivers for many reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fletch wrote:
    I for one am not impressed when I read a car ad and it says "Only one lady owner".
    Worse she could have it serviced several times a week .. One lady owner always reminds me of..

Advertisement