Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Learner Driver training - crazy !

Options
  • 07-04-2005 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Recently I was reading about the fact that so many people have to do formal training in order to, for example, operate a forklift, drive a JCB, or even work on a building site.

And yet a person can, in theory, buy a car (i.e. a potential lethal weapon!) and drive straight away with no training whatsoever !!

Crazy when you think about really ?!!

All learner drivers should have to undertake a certain amount of training with a registered school of motoring, including motorway and night driving.

Also, information about driving near heavy goods vehicles should be included in the Rules of The Road (i.e. leaving sufficient room for hgv's to manouver, not cycling alongside hgv's in city centres, etc)

My 2c.

Silvera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

you need a prosional licence to drive.. and that means you have to do the theory test, which ok is pointless.. but better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes and you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't know where the correct positions are under the car to put the jack, not to mind the amount of people who call out the AA or RAC to have a tyre changed. :eek:

I think there should also be a certain level of knowledge required to carry out basic things such as changing a wheel etc as part of the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Aren't they changing the theory test so you need to know basic stuff like putting in oil, changing a tyre, changing a battery, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea they already changed it in Febuary I went to do a bike test and had to point out how to cheak oil, brakes etc. Its the same on a car

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote:
    Crazy when you think about really ?!!

Don't get me started yet again :)

I strongly feel that nobody should drive a car unless either they have a full driving license awarded to them after passing a rigorous test or before that, driving in a fully dual control vehicle with a licensed and certified instructor

L-driver setup is madness imho :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Esp when mr boyracer cuts the white away from the red L making it almost invisible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is no requirement for formal training as there is no formal training standards in place.
    My 16 month old son is legally allowed to set up a driving school and tell people what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dceire wrote:
    Yea they already changed it in Febuary I went to do a bike test and had to point out how to cheak oil, brakes etc. Its the same on a car

Is this on the THEORY test though or the full test? The official sites don't really make it clear.

the full test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

kbannon wrote:
    There is no requirement for formal training as there is no formal training standards in place.
    My 16 month old son is legally allowed to set up a driving school and tell people what to do!
    Well actually he couldnt as he wouldnt be qualified to act as an acompanying driver.

As regards forklift training, it is a horrible joke imho

• Advertisement

bp_me wrote:
    Well actually he couldnt as he wouldnt be qualified to act as an acompanying driver.

As regards forklift training, it is a horrible joke imho
    In fact he could - he would just need a fully licenced driver in the car.
    However, back to my point, there are no legalities in place governing driver training. The DoE is preparing something but like their rewriting of the Rules Of The Road this normally simple process will take an eternity to prepare!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

kbannon wrote:

My 10 month old son seems to have a great ability to turn the steering wheel on the "thing" we bought him. He can also blow the horn.
    If you sit behind a "driving school" car long enough you'll see that these are just about the only requirements you need to set up up in that business.

Maybe if your son and mine get together they could start up a driving school that could teach (train) people how to drive instead of how to pass a test. ;)

Tony

Advertisement