Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building community network

Options
  • 07-04-2005 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

I was considering the idea of building a community 802.11g network. My only question is this:
    Can a normal person (like me) buy backhaul off one of the independant providers? my plan would be to build a small town-wide network (not a huge problem) and re-sell the bandwidth for cost-price. Like E10 PM or whatever it costs. What would one of theses backhaul companies charge? Would they let me create a wireless link to their link?

Any comments, constructive or not are welcome.
    **Note: I am deliberately posting this here (as opposed to BB) because my town has been promised b/b many many times by eircon, and we still dont have it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

OscarBravo, Viking and Xian have all built community networks. Seek them out and ask for their advice or just wait a short while and they'll pop up here. Which town are you in ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Damien: I'm located in moate, co. Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Moate should have been DSL enabled a year ago:

http://mmm.eircom.ie/press/PressRelease_Target.asp?id=316&y=2003&archived=1

If the exchange is not enabled, get onto David McRedmond (dmcredmond@eircom.ie) and ask him why a town in Ireland with a population of 1500+ does not have broadband as per eircom's "commitment".

oh viking, viking. I have long ago since lost faith in Eircom. Their DSL service (Esat/utv too) isn't really up to scratch. Ive emailed mcredmond allready. Moate's population is now estimated at 3000.

My plan was to build an 802.11g not just for internet connectivity, but also for restricted local comms between users.(fast Gaming/File transfers/etc without eating into a cap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

So Moate's exchange has been enabled but you can't get BB?

Actually it was supposed to be enabled last week. Eircom have told us time and time again that we would have B/B "next month".

On another note, is it alright to get a fast eircom uncapped line(or two) and "re-distrobute" it over .11g? If I ask every body to cough E15 per month or something to cover the cost of the BB, would that still be ok with Eircom?

Advertisement