Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LHS's?

• 07-04-2005 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Could people please list the Local Hobby shops that they know that do nitro fuel and where they are located?

I am in cork and can only find nitro for planes down here!

SLIM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

Check this,
    < http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199335 >

I have been to model heli services and green hobby model. They are both v. good and im nearly sure they supply nitro for cars..
    There is also another hobby shop in athlone that I deal with a lot, they are Midland Aero Model. Great guys..but they dont have a site. I can PM you de number if you want..

Hakko

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Could people please list the Local Hobby shops that they know that do nitro fuel and where they are located?

I am in cork and can only find nitro for planes down here!

SLIM

Have you tried Noel Barrett in Cork?

Aircraft fuel is the same as car fuel, provided you ask for the correct percentage of nitro. Usually 10 or 16% nitro.

I would expect that ALL serious hobby shops sell model fuel.

Here is a link if you want to compare prices in Irish shops ...
    http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/modelglowfuel.htm

There are also more Irish hobby links here ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199335

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Yeah, I get 15% nitro in Noel Barratts, but there doesnt seem to be as much kick as the 16% I got with my last T-MAXX.

I know that Noel Barratts stuff was designed for planes and not cars though!

Can Nitro be delivered by post? it can in other countries?

Could you not get him to order it or order a bottle of nitromethane and and it to the 15% fuel. Is this not possible?

Hakko

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Yeah, I get 15% nitro in Noel Barratts, but there doesnt seem to be as much kick as the 16% I got with my last T-MAXX.

If you got Wildcat or Coolpower, these are American fuels.
    In the US the nitro is measured in by weight.
    This matters because nitro is "heavy", so if you have a US make of fuel, and if it says 16% nitro, then by volume standards it is only approx 12 1/2% nitro.

Model Technics is made this side of the Atlantic ocean, where fuel additives are measured by volume.
    (Your engine drinks it by volume after all) So 16% IS ACTUALLY 16% of the fuel in the container.

So (I don't know what makes you have used when I suggest this) you might be right when you noticed that "it doesn't seem to be as much kick".

But it is nothing to do with "airplane fuel" or "car fuel" ... they are the same.
    It is all down to what is in the fuel.

I only use Model Technics. I have used it in many blends up to 65% nitro with never a problem.

• Advertisement

Afaik, the nitro i got with the maxx (the good stuff) is model technics.

Noel barratts only does omega.

Coolwings, can you get model technics delivered?

As for asking noel to get in different fuel, he said that there was not enough demand as he would have to order by either the pallat or container to make it worthwhile! :(

....or order a bottle of nitromethane and and it to the 15% fuel. Is this not possible?Hakko
    Careful here....if you add nitro, you must also add an appropriate amount of oil to maintain the same cooling and lubrication.

eg you have 15% nitro fuel.
    Which contains eg 15 units nitro, 20 units oil, 65 units methanol, + traces of dye, additives, anti corrosives, etc

Then you add 5 units of nitro ...expecting 20% nitro fuel.
    Now you have 20 nitro, 20 oil, 65 methanol, + etc. total 105 units.
    Check it:
    It is only 19% nitro, not 20% ... work it out for yourself.
    Worse, lubrication was 20% oil, but now it is 19% oil.
    So lubrication is 19/20ths of what it was, down 5%.

Now you have raised the nitro (by 4%), and the internal temperature of the engine, but you have simultaneously reduced cooling and lubrication by 5%
    Not good. Not good at all.
    Engine temp goes up by a lot more than 4%.
    Say hello to orders for new piston and liners.
    That is before you consider cancer causing vapours, benzine which enters your body even through the skin if it gets on your hands, as well as by vapours you breathe, and the obvious fire hazards.

Fuel making is best left to the experts.

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Afaik, the nitro i got with the maxx (the good stuff) is model technics.

Noel barratts only does omega.

Coolwings, can you get model technics delivered?

As for asking noel to get in different fuel, he said that there was not enough demand as he would have to order by either the pallat or container to make it worthwhile! :(

I don't know what is in Omega to be honest. So I can't make any suggestion there. Give Patrick a call on 01 4928776 about the other.
    Best of all if a friend can get it for you, (no postage :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'd like to put together a comprehensive list of hobby shops for each region, but unfortunately I don't know of enough of them yet.

Someday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

Fobia wrote:
    I'd like to put together a comprehensive list of hobby shops for each region, but unfortunately I don't know of enough of them yet.

Someday...
    Well here's one for you the ((i think) outdoor hobby shop !! in leixlip, good prices for fuel but it's pretty small, can get parts an stuff too. k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

Hi Guys,

Anybody running GoGlo Plus*16% nitro from Green Hobby & Model??

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Where in Leixlip is the outdoor hoby shop? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

travelling on the west road from liffey valley u need to head to the main slip road for Intel the far side of leixlip, go right at the top of the slip head for intel ,follow the road straight till u come to the second roundabout, left heads to intel right goes back to the village. go right now follow this road for approx 1/2 mile ish till u come to a section in the road where it starts going downhill back to the main village, u should see a road going of to the right , go up there, after a sharp right follow the road and outdoor hobbies are just after the eurospar on the right. it a garage converted so drive into the back of the house.

travelling on the west road from liffey valley u need to head to the main slip road for Intel the far side of leixlip, go right at the top of the slip head for intel ,follow the road straight till u come to the second roundabout, left heads to intel right goes back to the village. go right now follow this road for approx 1/2 mile ish till u come to a section in the road where it starts going downhill back to the main village, u should see a road going of to the right , go up there, after a sharp right follow the road and outdoor hobbies are just after the eurospar on the right. it a garage converted so drive into the back of the house.
    were bouts are you?

Cheers,
    I work in Intel so I will bob out at lunch. :D

That road also goes by the back of HP Factory towards celbridge.

if u are asking where i live, i am 5-10 mins from St Annes track on the north side of dublin. i know where the shop is because i have been there before. Watch out for the shotguns and the dogs.

:D:D

nice and handy for ya!! ya bin there/find it ok?

shops grand they deal in pactra paint which i find great for the cars shells, they stocked the savage not to sure about parts but i am sure they can get them. got a lot of bits and pieces which can be useful for the cars. unfortunatly they dont deal in the mugen range so paints are all i need to go the for now.

Sory for taking so long to get back.
    Yes I found it, your directions were spot on. Got some 10% quick start and some air filter oil off him. Its a handy little shop.
    He dosnt stock Thunder Tiger spares but good for bits and bobs.
    I now have a bigger problem, I was bashing around on the Lake side retail park on Monday and have but up my car real bad. I hit a curb sidways and it pushed the servos and batery pack straight through the side if the fuel tank. I have the spares on order but will be off the road for a couple of weeks because I have to order spares from the UK. Is there no 24hr delivery between the UK and Ireland? :eek:

DTS,
    sorry to hear about the tank,I had that happen my tr4.Where are you ordering the spares from in the UK?I ask because i have ordered quiete a few things from the uk in the past and have found that if you order on a monday or tuesday you will have them by the end of that week or v. early thefollowing week.
    try alshobbies for spares www.alshobies.com get the phone number on the site and give them a call they are very good. you could also try www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk

Hakko

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    I have been ordering bits from modelsport.co.uk and ebay.
    This link didnt work?
    http://www.alshobies.com/

Got the car so it was pulling fuel last night but couldnt try it because I had to put my glow starter on charge.

I couldnt get thet link to work either till I spelt HOBBIES properly in it ;)

http://www.alshobbies.com

My Bad,Sorry!

Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres a model shop in Waterford, they deal with traxxas, thunder tiger, cen, irvine and a few more, they also have plenty of fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭CHUCKLEZ

you got a name/address/phone number for this shop?

The modelcentre, 73 johnstown waterford city and the number is 051 876262.

will get onto them and about the sunday thing we will be goin out 2morro but not next week as i wont be in the country so any other sunday just give me a pm.

sorry forgot i was on my bros comp this is chucklez :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Pred192

I live in enfield area and wondering is there any rc clubs near by and any hobby store that sells fuel. i own a t-maxx and want to join a club to race it and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Pred192 wrote: »
    I live in enfield area and wondering is there any rc clubs near by and any hobby store that sells fuel. i own a t-maxx and want to join a club to race it and stuff

Read reply in other post.

Welcome to the forum but please do not double and treble post. It sort of annoys other members reading the same request over and over again. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Plug wrote: »

:D

Advertisement