Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about linking 2 comps

Options
  • 07-04-2005 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a second pc soon, and want to share my internet connection on both pc's. They both have LAN 10/100 ports. Do i need a router or can i just connect them together with an ethernet cable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You can connect the two computers via a crossover patch cable iirc to create a mini network. If you want them to share a single internet connection and have a USB modem / router, then this may be all you need.

There's a networking forum, so I'm going to move this in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

If you've Broadband, you're BB modem may already have 4 LAN ports and then you're laughing. If you have BB but only a single lan port, the simplest, most straight-forward way of doing this is with a 4-port hub - connect two PC's and the router to the hub - you're done. Not only do you get shared internet, you've file sharing, printer sharing etc. etc.

If you don't have broadband, and are using dial-up, you can use a cross-over cable (not an ordinary ethernet cable) to connect the network cards together and set up internet connection sharing on the 'master' pc.

Various ways around it - depends on what you have. Can you give a wee bit more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well, it's utv broadband, with the external modem... which hasn't arrived yet, so i don't know how many ports it has, but it is usb.

It'll probably have a ethernet port - for PS2 and the likes that don't have USB.
    I'd recommend a simple 4-port hub/switch. I'd say hundreds of posters have them lying around. If not, they're buttons to buy.
    This is by far the most flexible option - if you get another PC, or you're hosting a games night, nothing changes. Arse-ing around with cross-overs and USB together - messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

mp3guy wrote:
    Well, it's utv broadband, with the external modem... which hasn't arrived yet, so i don't know how many ports it has, but it is usb.
    you'll be getting a creative broadband modem, USB OR Ethernet, if you connect both you get nada!

I'm with Swamp thing, 4 port ethernet hub makes life so much easier.

if you can get your hands on an old PII machine or similar to use as a hardware firewall and web cache, you'll have a safer and more enjoyable internet life plus save a few megs on downloading your fav sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

why a hub? switches are well cheap now and would give much better lan proformance, i know this would have neigble impact on the bb as the speeds involved are much higher but still....

Darth Bobo wrote:
    why a hub? switches are well cheap now and would give much better lan proformance, i know this would have neigble impact on the bb as the speeds involved are much higher but still....

I didn't want to confuse tha lad - yes, a switch is the way to go, especially if it cames to a games night. But for 2 PC's and the setup here, I don't think there's gonna be much difference.

Advertisement