Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband speeds

• 08-04-2005 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if NTL are actually going to increase the speeds? A few seem to be doing it at the minute, would an increase be expected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

gibson wrote:
    Does anyone know if NTL are actually going to increase the speeds? A few seem to be doing it at the minute, would an increase be expected?

I gave them a shout earlier on and the rep said they are currently reviewing it and will be making an annoucment on it before next month. So there you go, sit tight.

It'll go up to 1/2/3mbps, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There another thread with NTL stating that they're going to be providing broadband in Galway at E25 for 1MB, E35 for 2MB and E45 for 3MB lines. If this is true then thank god that they're increasing the speeds (but kinda pissed as why they didn't just do it at the same time as the UK in the first place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Yeah, that thread is here
    And more importantly: what are they going to do with the upload speeds, double them to 128,256,512 kbps respectively for 1,2,3 Mb; or a moderate increase (like in the UK) i.e. 100,200,300 kbps respectively for 1,2,3 Mb

Let's hope they get the takeover sorted pronto, imho, it's the cause of the delay...

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

the post about glaway getting broadband speed of 1mb thats grand but thats al for new cusomters isnt it, liek galway at the minute dont have ntl broadband do they? So what happens then to existing customers around Ireland, would they just decide to upgrade our lines for free like others are doing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gibson wrote:
    the post about glaway getting broadband speed of 1mb thats grand but thats al for new cusomters isnt it, liek galway at the minute dont have ntl broadband do they? So what happens then to existing customers around Ireland, would they just decide to upgrade our lines for free like others are doing?

Well that is what happened in the UK. NTL upped all customers from 300k/750k/1.5m to 1m/2m/3m for free.

There would be a lot of very angry customers in Dublin (most of their current BB customers) if they gave new customers in Galway much better speeds for the same price.

They have to improve the specs of their products because they just aren't competitive with Eircom anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

If they're going to increase speeds then I would think they could do it before May for current users. Then again, a lot of people are only 4-5 months into a 12 month contract with NTL so in that sense they don't have to hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TheHig

I've been getting threatening letters from NTL, blaming their service problems on high bandwidth users who go voer 1 gig per day.

Anyone else getting these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

TheHig wrote:
    I've been getting threatening letters from NTL, blaming their service problems on high bandwidth users who go voer 1 gig per day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241944

TheHig wrote:

Is it wrong to feel a bit smug now after the years of being the poor child on DSL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TheHig

Well I wouldnt say you're "poor" if you're on DSL. I know people still running 28.8kbps modems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Just had someone at the door telling me that ntl broadband is now available in my area. I asked him about a speed increase and he said they will go to 1/2/and 3 mb within 4 weeks!

I also asked him about the upload speeds and said they would increase repectively and that there is a good chance that the price will drop! Sounds like good news and if they do deliver the goods then i mite jus be tempted to switch to ntl 3meg...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

TheHig wrote:
    Well I wouldnt say you're "poor" if you're on DSL. I know people still running 28.8kbps modems.

That sounds more like laziness than poverty considering it's so cheap to get a 56K modem and costs nothing extra in running costs.

Those new NTL speeds sound cool, it would be a pity if they stuck with the 30GB cap though. If they stick with the same cap, I'll be going with IBB instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Dave6195 wrote:
    Just had someone at the door telling me that ntl broadband is now available in my area. I asked him about a speed increase and he said they will go to 1/2/and 3 mb within 4 weeks!

I also asked him about the upload speeds and said they would increase repectively and that there is a good chance that the price will drop! Sounds like good news and if they do deliver the goods then i mite jus be tempted to switch to ntl 3meg...........

Nice. Hope they double the cap though or make it a 2GB a day cap instead.

Advertisement