Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't a 1mb line nice?

• 08-04-2005 4:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong, i would love a 100 mb line but i'm relistic. I'm curious what other punters are thinking about the new increase in caps and speed of eircom's home starter plan.... I'm getting torrents downloading at 107 kbps adn i' happy about it.

But...

I would like to know however, 1) Where my DSL stats have gone, and... 2) if I don't know how much I'm spending, do I have to pay ?????

Your Thoughts.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I'm extremely happy with the new speeds, 2mb is more than enough...700 mb within an hour is perfect, and all of the problems seemed to have disappeared now :) for me anyway.....if the cap can now be doubled, i'll scream like a school girl

Btw, everyone seems to be having problems with the dsl stats page, just gotta wait out i guess, you should get a program that tells you how much you download, bandwidth monitor pro is good...as you'll still have to pay regardless of the status of the dsl page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

where do you guys download torrents from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

They can't answer that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

newbie2 wrote:
    I'm getting torrents downloading at 107 kbps adn i' happy about it.

I cant get more than my old speed on torrents, Did your automatically go up with the upgrade or did you do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Stalfos wrote:
    I cant get more than my old speed on torrents, Did your automatically go up with the upgrade or did you do something else.
    im having the same problems, torrent doesnt stay past 100KB's, it jumps up now and then but nothing stable..
    The torrents are green and have plenty of seeds and port forwarding is enabled etc etc. .
    im not too bothered, 100KBs is fine for the moment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im loving my 2mb line, Im using net limiter though to limit D/Ls to 160k so I can still browse at speed, although the upload staying at 128k is a joke, trying to upload files to mates and sites is just sooooo slow...... but its all relative, my mate can only get dial up and creams his pants at those speeds and attacks me when I complain about upload being slow..........

S.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Eircom need to do two things to the Home Plus package and i'll be a happy camper.

1) Remove interleaving. We get good pings in UK, France and Benelux, but outside that it's a bit high for gaming. Almost all other DSL providers in Europe have interleaving off (fastpath).

2) Raise the upload speed to 256kbit or 512kbit, anyone know if there is any plan for this to be done at some stage in the future? 128kbit is way too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im downloading now from usenet@315k/s
    and dam bloody happy about that!!!

The upload speeds will prob be the next
    upgrade...some time in the next life.
    but who knows stranger things have
    happend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

ricey wrote:
    Im downloading now from usenet@315k/s
    and dam bloody happy about that!!!

What usenet provider u use? You isp's? Do they provide binaries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

no man irish isp are crap.
    i use www.usenetserver.com
    you can pay $3 and get a 3 day trial
    you will max out your download speed

• Advertisement

Soldie wrote:
    Eircom need to do two things to the Home Plus package and i'll be a happy camper.

1) Remove interleaving. We get good pings in UK, France and Benelux, but outside that it's a bit high for gaming. Almost all other DSL providers in Europe have interleaving off (fastpath).

2) Raise the upload speed to 256kbit or 512kbit, anyone know if there is any plan for this to be done at some stage in the future? 128kbit is way too small.

No thank you keep interleaving on. I'd prefer a more reliable connection rather than a 10ms ping thank you very much.

I don't put much attention to ping times. Any ping less than around 80ms is fine.

Don't believe me? Try one of those online reaction tests.
    Nearly 50% of the results in google for "DSL interleaving gaming" are irish.
    Considering we have one of the smallest DSL install bases in the world this is odd.

Is turning off interleaving to scrap an extra few milliseconds an Irish obsession??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Memnoch wrote:
    where do you guys download torrents from?

Places like http://www.legaltorrents.com are good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Here in Utrecht, Netherlands they're currently introducing 20MB DSL lines for 80 euro's per month. Nice, but I wouldn't have any immediate need for it. I can already watch streaming vid etc. on a cheapo 2mb line.

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

ronoc wrote:
    No thank you keep interleaving on. I'd prefer a more reliable connection rather than a 10ms ping thank you very much.

I don't put much attention to ping times. Any ping less than around 80ms is fine.

Considering we have one of the smallest DSL install bases in the world this is odd.

Is turning off interleaving to scrap an extra few milliseconds an Irish obsession??
    Yes if your a proper gamer, why should we be differant to the rest of Europe??

Anarchist wrote:
    Yes if your a proper gamer, why should we be differant to the rest of Europe??

Did you even read my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

No I am arrogant and stupid like you.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Anarchist banned for a week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

ronoc wrote:

I think it's fair to assume that you're not a very competitive gamer, or serious one, based on what you've said. Playing Quake 3 with a ping over 50 is difficult. Same with CS and other online FPS games. If interleaving is turned off as standard in other countries in Europe, why should it be different here? Outside of UK, France or Benelux (and Ireland too, obviously) it's hard to game competitively, which alot of people do, in clans, etc.

Soldie wrote:
    I think it's fair to assume that you're not a very competitive gamer, or serious one, based on what you've said. Playing Quake 3 with a ping over 50 is difficult. Same with CS and other online FPS games. If interleaving is turned off as standard in other countries in Europe, why should it be different here? Outside of UK, France or Benelux (and Ireland too, obviously) it's hard to game competitively, which alot of people do, in clans, etc.

Perhaps that is the reason.

Personally I don't see how a few miliseconds of ping time make a difference when human reaction time is measured in hundreds of a second :confused:

I am at the outter reaches distance wise for ADSL. Turning off interleaving would have a negative effect on my connection. But then again the townies living a stones throw from the exchange would be more than happy to turn it off ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ronoc wrote:
    Personally I don't see how a few miliseconds of ping time make a difference when human reaction time is measured in hundreds of a second :confused:
    Yes but it makes the game laggy having pings so high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

ronoc wrote:

As mentioned above, you're clearly not a competetive gamer. Many readers of these boards have competed at a professional/world-class level in various games and at that level, every millisecond counts. In the same way that professional gamers will spend €100 on a mouse, they will also demand the best from their internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Plus how much of an effect does turning interleaving off have on the stability of the internet connect? It cant be that much if its turned off as standard in most other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

-ADREN- wrote:
    Plus how much of an effect does turning interleaving off have on the stability of the internet connect? It cant be that much if its turned off as standard in most other countries.
    Well you underestimate the crappyness of €ircons lines I'm connecting at 1600 from a 2Mb line - I should be getting 2048! My error counter just shoots up everytime I get a webpage, it's obvious that the line is so screwed up that the only reason I can get anyweb pages is because of the interleaving on the line. My best downloads hit ~165 I know many people can hit 210+ and are on the same package as me so if interleaving were turned off I'd say my line may just fail altogether. ~165k is the best I can ever hope for :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

I'm just wondering with the state of dl caps in this country(and others), what use is a 1->2 Mb line? your cap would be gone in a short time if you really pushed it to it's max. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Well you underestimate the crappyness of €ircons lines I'm connecting at 1600 from a 2Mb line

Wish I had your problem...... I'm on Broadband Plus and still only getting 512k.... keep getting passed from Customer Care to Suport and back again..... they're looking into it, whatever it is....!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

8Gb can be had in 12-24hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

8Gb can be had in 12-24hours

so this means you can use your 8/16GB cap in less than a week, as a matter of interest what is the max d/l on a 512k/1MB line & what percentage do we get out of it as regard's caps compared to total d/l capacity of the line assuming ideal contention.

well on a 1Mb line you get 1Mb in about 10sec so

60*60*24*30/10=259200MB = 253.12500GB

8Gb cap / 253 total possible = 3%

Am i right?

im on 7.49GB this month so far and im taking it very easy

Period (From) Period (To) Download Upload Both Directions
    20/03/2005 26/03/2005 2,434,654 KB 579,704 KB 3,014,357 KB
    27/03/2005 02/04/2005 11,122,313 KB 4,202,956 KB 15,325,269 KB
    03/04/2005 09/04/2005 6,881,666 KB 2,884,739 KB 9,766,405 KB

• Advertisement