Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Information on IBB required.

• 08-04-2005 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone please fill me in on the current situation with IBB serivces. I was reading a thread and someone mentioend VL Gear? I stoped looking at IBB about a year and a half ago after failing their test for the third time. Now i hear people mentioning true sysmetric speeds and no trottling during peak hours, as well as greater consistancy of speeds. A friend also memtioned that despite being on the 1Mbit/s package, recently he's ben getting 150k consistant downlonds, and about 130-140 k on the upload. Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They have stopped using the old problematic equipment and have started using the VL gear on all install. This is much more reliable and gives more stable speeds and better pings.

They are upgrading all the 1mb/s customers to 2mb/s and there service is symmetric. I get about 230kb/s on the download and 210kb/s on the upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ciaran500 wrote:
    They have stopped using the old problematic equipment and have started using the VL gear on all install. This is much more reliable and gives more stable speeds and better pings.

They are upgrading all the 1mb/s customers to 2mb/s and there service is symmetric. I get about 230kb/s on the download and 210kb/s on the upload.

And if your a gamer pings (when all is good 80% of the time) is around 20 - 25 to UK servers 20 less than Eircom

Ciaran500 wrote:
    They are upgrading all the 1mb/s customers to 2mb/s and there service is symmetric.

Really? whens that happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Right now mate! :D Drapper and I are already on the 2MB service. Everybody will be on 2MB at the end of April it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Boston wrote:
    Could someone please fill me in on the current situation with IBB serivces. I was reading a thread and someone mentioend VL Gear? I stoped looking at IBB about a year and a half ago after failing their test for the third time. Now i hear people mentioning true sysmetric speeds and no trottling during peak hours, as well as greater consistancy of speeds. A friend also memtioned that despite being on the 1Mbit/s package, recently he's ben getting 150k consistant downlonds, and about 130-140 k on the upload. Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

IBB uses the Alvarion BreezeACCESS VL Series and their SU (Subscribers Units) can support up to 3Mbps to the AU (Access unit) Base Station. Some can even support 6 to 54Mbps if you need that bandwidth. This is not to say that you will get 3Mbps. The Bandwidth is setup on the units together with a hole others details.

I failed a test to as I was on the edge of a sector but had clear line-of-sight. So I have to wait for another sector to go live beside it to compensate for the loss of signal on the edge of the sector. I am about 4.7Km LOS for the transmitter with a Very Clear view.
    The installation engineer said it would work but come bad weather and the signal would drop too low for the Internet to function. The SU unit was reading 18dB to 19dB on receiving from the AU. It should average at about 21dB to 22dB for good service quality.

If you need more info on their service go to www.alvarion.com . There is allot of info about there products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I was the same failed line test on old gear and passed with new VL gear 7ms pings to boards to :) 120~DL 120~UL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its already happened for me. Look in the "IBB looking for testers for 2Mb product" thread for the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I am just about to cancel my subscription with UTV so was considering IBB.
    According to their coverage maps, they have Dublin 15 ( I am in Castleknock) covered so I was wondering if de facto anyone in Casytleknock has availed of their service.

regedit wrote:
    I am just about to cancel my subscription with UTV so was considering IBB.
    According to their coverage maps, they have Dublin 15 ( I am in Castleknock) covered so I was wondering if de facto anyone in Casytleknock has availed of their service.

I do pm where you are in Castleknock ? I'm in near Carpenterstown .....and you........... also be prepared for a wait for the IBB it does not come overnight !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I'm in the Park Drive estate (just before the bridge over the M50-from the direction of Myos), so hope everything will be OK.

• Advertisement

regedit wrote:
    I'm in the Park Drive estate (just before the bridge over the M50-from the direction of Myos), so hope everything will be OK.

There may be a line of sight issue but you will with an answer if you call them !!

There is a person in Park Ave with it !!

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

Seems as if the Boardsters have this one fully covered off..... ;)

OT

regedit wrote:

Advertisement