Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Kebabs in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Maybe out of range for a lot of you guys but Some like it hot in Drumcondra do mean Kebabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Does anywhere do Greek style souvies (souvlaki)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dSTAR wrote: »
    Does anywhere do Greek style souvies (souvlaki)?

there is a greek resteraunt in the epicurian food hall on liffey street/middle abbey street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

BrightEyes wrote: »
    Ismaels. Those kebabs aren't great; skimpy on the meat and the bread is chewy like if you bought them from a pack and didnt heat them up. Overcompensates with the lettuce. Even noticed when drunk!

Agree with everything you said there, that place is awful. Had such great expectations as it had a sort of 'authentic' look about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Zaytoons has incredible bread but they sure know how to charge for it. I think their prices have doubled since the introduction of the Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

wilkins wrote: »
    Never was mad about kebabs before, but the 'Sultan' (I fink that's what it's called) on Georges Street blew my mind, yummy chicken kebab. It's just a few doors up from South Street restaurant- yumyum
    Sultan is brilliant, I've had kebabs all over the place but love going back there, Zaytoon didn't do it for me

there is a greek resteraunt in the epicurian food hall on liffey street/middle abbey street
    Thanks for that. Although there is a massive Greek community here in Melbourne and we are spoiled for choice with some top notch Greek restaurants ranging from high end to taverns right down to the ubiquitous souvlaki joint where you can get the best souvi after a few beers. Good to know about Greek places in Dublin. I will (hopefully!) be going back there in June/July after 10 years away so am looking forward to checking out as many places as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

1. zaytoons
    2. iskanders

Forget to mention if I was out with some mates and suggested going for a kebab after a few ales I would most likely get a nasty look or a pointed comment. Funny how conditioned I have become even though Turkish kebabs and Greek souvlakis are pretty much the same but I sure as hell ain't gonna say that in front of my Greek friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Zatman wrote: »
    Maybe out of range for a lot of you guys but Some like it hot in Drumcondra do mean Kebabs

Ever tried them sober? They're on a par with Abrakebabra tbh!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

My vote is "Tasty Hut" On upper dorset st, 6.50 and delish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Zaytoon, I have no problem with them, eating sober, I only started eating lamb again after going there. Lovely.

Nice staff. They filter the pissheads at the door with some very burly and polite doormen, which suits me fine. You can eat there safely at any time of the day or night.

They have a lesser known branch on Lower Camden Street, just before the junction where the Bleeding Horse Pub is. Beside the Tesco there, more or less. Identical in layout and food to the Parliament Street outlet.

---

Just curious, is there a name for the type of flat kebab they serve, is it served flat in the country of origin?

Zaytoon is the name of a place the Israeli army pulverised\raised to the ground in the recent conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Kebab means that the meat is cooked on a skewer rather than anything to do with the pitta bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Amalgam wrote: »

Just curious, is there a name for the type of flat kebab they serve, is it served flat in the country of origin?

It's basically like a lavash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

How in gods name could you compare Zaytoon to Iskanders? Zaytoon's meal deal is the best value dinner in town as far as I'm concerned and its the safest place in town on a fri/sat night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Well, not wanting to spoil the party, I must add the following - I ordered 2 takeaway kebabs in Zaytoon, Parliament Street last Saturday 7th Feb 2009 and apart from finding a 4 inch long black hair in the middle of one of the kebabs, at no extra charge I received a dose of food poisoning which involved heavy bouts of the runs for 72 hours. I have since reported this to the relevant Environmental Health Authority who will be sending an inspector iminently. I will not be going back there.

Same thing happened to me minus the food poisoning, found a big hair in the kebab and told them, asked for a refund and left... pitty they dont wear hairnets cause i like there kebabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Manor takeaway on Manor Street,Dublin 7,everything else are abit medicore,but the donor kebabs are absolutley incredible,mmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

The Mezza right nextdoor to Zaytoon on Parliament St isnt bad, ive been there once, sober, and enjoyed it, although i only managed about three quarters of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Gileadi wrote: »
    My vote is "Tasty Hut" On upper dorset st, 6.50 and delish

nyom nyom nyom. The nan bred is delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Spice n Rice on Dorset St. Tikka Kebab, chips and a drink for 5.99, definitely the nicest kebab I've had in Dublin. Especially true now that Iskanders has taken such a dive in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swed110

Zaika across from break for the border on lower stephen st is hands down the best kebabs in dublin. I think they just opened up a couple of weeks ago. The fresh naan bread is incredible and prices are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I used to think Zaytoon was the bizz, till I tried Kebabish on Clanbrasil St (on the recommendation of a middle eastern friend). As someone said above, it's the best about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

swed110 wrote: »
    Zaika across from break for the border on lower stephen st is hands down the best kebabs in dublin. I think they just opened up a couple of weeks ago. The fresh naan bread is incredible and prices are very reasonable.

You own it??????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swed110

No but I have been eating there for past 3 days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

swed110 wrote: »

Is that the place that used to be called Kebab Klub?

Kebabish on Clanbrassil Street does the best kebabs in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

i have yet to find a place that does kebabs in dublin that make their own bread right there when your order the kebab! there is 2 places in my home town that does this and they are class! if you order a small kebab you get the one in the sh*t pita bread but if you order a medium or large they make it righ there in front of you and would be well over a foot and a half long,seriously takes two hands to hold these things they are huge,about twice the size of the one you get in pita bread type set up, absolutely massive, savage feed after a night out,owned by a turkish lads, some of the other food they do is class! is there in anywhere in city centre like this im wonderin as i love a kebab after a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

flas wrote: »
    i have yet to find a place that does kebabs in dublin that make their own bread right there when your order the kebab! there is 2 places in my home town that does this and they are class! if you order a small kebab you get the one in the sh*t pita bread but if you order a medium or large they make it righ there in front of you and would be well over a foot and a half long,seriously takes two hands to hold these things they are huge,about twice the size of the one you get in pita bread type set up, absolutely massive, savage feed after a night out,owned by a turkish lads, some of the other food they do is class! is there in anywhere in city centre like this im wonderin as i love a kebab after a night out!

Tasty Hut on Dorset street do this. At peak times they make a few together but they are never frozen or sitting for long. Non busy times they make up the dough and lash it into the nan bread caldron thing, lovely stuff it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

cast_iron wrote: »
    I used to think Zaytoon was the bizz, till I tried Kebabish on Clanbrasil St (on the recommendation of a middle eastern friend). As someone said above, it's the best about.

exactly my situation until i read your post went and had a look for my self im just home now and im going to hibernate i am so stuffed i just want to sleep,it was amazing the food came up about 5 inches off the plate it was a very stressful drive home lol that's me done with food for the day

Kebabish +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

spider_pig wrote: »
    exactly my situation until i read your post went and had a look for my self im just home now and im going to hibernate i am so stuffed i just want to sleep,it was amazing the food came up about 5 inches off the plate it was a very stressful drive home lol that's me done with food for the day

Kebabish +1

Lightweight!!

I was introduced to Kebabish by by some Pakistani guys. You know that the food is authentic when the locals from the ethnic group eat there. It's not just kebabs either. They opened a small restaurant upstairs earlier this year and they serve the most delicious food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There's a delicious kebab shop two doors up from the Palace nightclub on Camden Street..nom nom nom nom-not sure of the name though!

Advertisement