Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xeon Dual 2.8Ghz & win Xp pro

Options
  • 08-04-2005 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

hi guys

toolman here.

quick question - can i use a Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz Workstation with win xp pro and adobe premiere and photoshop etc. i.e. can any programme that supports win xp usr the 5.6 GHz that the dual Zeon is capable of putting out or is it a case of where the programme has to support the dual processor.

thanks

toolman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The programme has to support dual processors AFAIK, but I don't have experience with dual procs so I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

From Tom's Hardware

Seems to confirm the above view that the Prog must support Dual Procs

Even when taking HyperThreading processes into consideration, there are big everyday advantages for certain users who have a PC equipped with dual processors. As a result, software for graphics rendering, video and audio encoding and simultaneous operation of two or more calculation-intensive applications profit from the impressive increases in performance. In the area of graphics rendering, there is dual-capable software, such as 3D Studio MAX, Cinema 4D and Lightwave; in video encoding, there is, for example, MainConcept Encoder, Pinnacle Studio 9 or Flask Mpeg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the app doesn't support the second CPU all you can hope to do is to bind as many of the OS's processes to the first one and the app to the second one. This should mean that all the I/O is done by CPU one and the app has the second CPU to it's self.

Would it be possible to have two instances of a prog running on different CPU's so one could render while you worked in the other or something ? (probably not applicabe in this case) or you could use a third party app to background process , does the gimp support dual CPU' s, it's free and it can use photoshop plugins..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

if the app doesn't support the second CPU all you can hope to do is to bind as many of the OS's processes to the first one and the app to the second one. This should mean that all the I/O is done by CPU one and the app has the second CPU to it's self.

Would it be possible to have two instances of a prog running on different CPU's so one could render while you worked in the other or something ? (probably not applicabe in this case) or you could use a third party app to background process , does the gimp support dual CPU' s, it's free and it can use photoshop plugins..

It's quite likely that Photoshop can do this itself. They go in for this sort of thing. Adobe provides a plugin for (32bit) Photoshop for Mac which offloads all fancy functions to a 64bit process (on a G5). I THINK that one supports multiple processors, so presumably they do something similar for Windows.

Advertisement