Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Minidisc Recorder

Options
  • 08-04-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My Sony MZ-N10 has packed it in after a good few years of use, and it's not worth repairing. I'm buying a new unit, and I want to purchase the top-shelf Sony unit. I think the MZ-NH1 is what I'm looking for (live recordings, top quality, upload function from unit to PC for live recordings etc...) basically all you could ask for a professional musician. The only thing is I'm confused about which unit is better, is it the MZ-NH1 or the MZ-RH10, which is due for release shortly. I'm not interested in the camera function on the other new models, just the recording and playback functions, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I could be wrong but the NH1 is pretty flawed if I remember rightly. Battery life drops majorly from the lower models and it has the limiations of converting mp3s to ATRAC before moving onto the MD (via Sony's debatable software).

Same as yourself, I wish there was no camera involved. I just want a new player to come out that's better. The RH10 looks great though, and I notice it says "Plays Back MP3/ATRAC3®/ATRAC3plus™ Audio Formats"...meaning that conversion may not be necessary? That would be a welcome improvement, if only to keep quality loss to a minimum. I'd personnally go for that one. Battery is 33hrs with a comination of both rechargable and AA.

Have a proper read of this:
    http://www.minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html
    The Sony MZ-RH10 Hi-MD recorder is designed to create personalized music masterpieces. Musicians can easily record their own tunes and upload their music onto a computer. The MZ-RH10 features a large six-line, self-emitting organic EL (electroluminescence) display, so sound-setting screens, track, title and artist can be viewed from wide angles and without a backlight. The unit can record from sources including mic in, line in and USB, and plays back MP3 and ATRAC3 audio files. The MZ-RH10 provides up to 33 hours of continuous playback with its supplied rechargeable battery combined with one AA battery. A remote control and file name indicator are also included.

Also, here's a comprehensive review on Head-Fi of the RH910 - basically the foundation features of the RH10, so well worth a read. Seems the mp3 thing is good but still requires Sonicstage - i.e. No dragging and dropping. Also works as a removable drive - as did the old model you were looking at I think.

Someone commented on that review that the RH10 is not the replacement for the NH1 (go figure?) but gave no other info. Maybe worth holding out for a bit? Or maybe it's the DH10? http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-DH10.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corrcullen

Just wondering if anyone knows, what is the best minidisc player to buy, thats gonna be used by a musician, purely for live recordings, then the recordings be transferred to a pc to make a cd of the recordings...
    Also what would be the best mic to buy to use with the minidisc for this purpose..
    Any advice wud be greatly appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

corrcullen wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows, what is the best minidisc player to buy, thats gonna be used by a musician, purely for live recordings, then the recordings be transferred to a pc to make a cd of the recordings...
    Also what would be the best mic to buy to use with the minidisc for this purpose..

Theres still issues with SonicStage when transferring recordings back to the PC. It has a habit of deleting the recording. TBH I think you might be better with a HD recorder like the iRiver H320 which records to MP3, or H120 which records to WAV and you have 20GB vs 1GB to record to. However the MD have great battery life, and the prices are dropping if you search Amazon for HiMD. Note the lower end 600 doesn't have Mic in. (I think). For live recording I'd try to get one that takes a AA battery internal. Much less hassle. The 900 has the best batterly life and is regarded as the best of the 1st Gen HiMD units.

I like MD, but I know I should really get something else like an iRiver. Odd I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If you're interested, I have one for sale - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=200060&highlight=minidisk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

corrcullen wrote:

It's generally the mic that is more important to the quality of the recording. I'm getting my new RH-10 on Monday from the US, and I'm pumped.

This is the mic I use, and the quality is excellent.

http://www.sonycentres.ie/productdetail.asp?id=135___246&search=microphone

Cool well maybe you could do us a favour and give a quick review back here when you get it. I'd definatley appreciate hearing more about it.

Advertisement