Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eggs = chicken's period?

• 08-04-2005 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Just thought I might voice this theory/query and see what you folks think.

Are chicken’s eggs the equivalent of a woman’s period?
    When I was a kid it completely baffled me as to how the farmer knew which eggs were to be sold for us to eat and which ones were going to be baby chicks. As I got older and my knowledge of the world and its contents increased I figured that chickens produce eggs on a regular basis, but they are only going to have chicks in them if the chicken has been with the cock (excuse the pun). So, if the chicken hasn’t had a good seeing to the eggs are for eating. These eggs are, therefore, the chicken’s period and she is getting rid of them in the same way that a woman gets rid of her egg, if it hasn’t been impregnated, each month.

Sounds a bit disgusting when put like that, but I want to know what people think because I’ve been given a few strange looks from my mates on occasions for voicing this theory.

Ps. You can probably tell, but I know very little about farming, which is ironic given that I live in Donegal…

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

thanks, thats put me well of my breakfast roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

yes, its true, the eggs you buy are unfertilized - thus equivalent of a period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

MMM...
    I prefer ignorance and will continue to call eggs their rightful name, eggs...

I can imagine McDonalds new ad campaign
    "I dont get out of bed for anything less than sausage and chickens period mcmuffin...."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Keyzer wrote:
    I can imagine McDonalds new ad campaign
    "I dont get out of bed for anything less than sausage and chickens period mcmuffin...."

classic, people are looking at me laughing now.

I think i'll use that as my new signature....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

My vegan friend has always claimed this in order to put people off their food and defend her diet.
    So what if it IS a chicken's period? Sausages are full of pig's innards, burgers are a minced cow, we use nature's elements to survive.
    I couldn't live without eggs and they turn up in loads of food. MMMM, had a salmon omlette last night, go slagged by boyfriend for its ugh factor but it was delish. YAY PROTEIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

After reading this, i'm glad i dont eat eggs

Eggs rock man, who gives a crap where they come from....
    Chickens eggs that is, I wouldn't eat a horse egg though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Personally I don't mind knowing what they are. I like em. Now if someone can find an appetising way to eat mammalian periods I'd be all for eating it.

On a related topic, there is a french dish whose main ingredient is an aborted pig foetus (i think - although it could be bovine instead).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

eggs are only good for throwing at people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wouldn't it be Chicken ovulation as opposed to chicken period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

catspring wrote:
    Just thought I might voice this theory/query and see what you folks think.

Are chicken’s eggs the equivalent of a woman’s period?

im not sure which is more important for you at this time, either finding out more about chickens, or finding out about women....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

eggcellent way of putting it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I seem to recall some women in some country eating the afterbirth.

/vom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

eating the afterbirth.. I've heard of that alright. Full of nutrients no doubt.

I think I'll stick to eggs though - takes less time to prepare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gordon wrote:
    I seem to recall some women in some country eating the afterbirth.

/vom

Most animals do that. I've heard of quite a few people that have done it also. A bit disgusting but each to their own I suppose.

Cosmetic companies also use human placenta/afterbirth in their anti-ageing creams.

Back to the original topic - I've never been able to each eggs and chicken together for some reason. I really like both but for some illogical reason I've always thought it was in bad taste to each the both together!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wo! Body Form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

But doesnt a chicken lay a couple of eggs per day so how could it be a period everyday?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

if im not mistaken arent sausages made over from whats left of the pig. ie the intestines, head, eyes, etc etc. so when u are eating a sausage u are probably eating a piece of sh!t :D

If you're eating kidneys or liver you're probably eating stale urine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Gordon wrote:
    If you're eating kidneys or liver you're probably eating stale urine.
    would FRESH urine make it more palatable? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Strangely there was a story on the radio about a woman to bought quail eggs in Tesco and managed to hatch them! She was a bird expert apparently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

jaysus good thing i have my egg hard not gooey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Strangely there was a story on the radio about a woman to bought quail eggs in Tesco and managed to hatch them! She was a bird expert apparently.

Did she have sex with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

But doesnt a chicken lay a couple of eggs per day so how could it be a period everyday?????

No. One a day. Less in winter.

Yeah this is true. Happened with chicken eggs too. Some of the better farms let their chickens run with cockerels.. it keeps the peace, a "pecking order" if you will. It's better for the chickens welfare than to be cooped up all day. As a result, many of the eggs are fertilised, but as they are taken from the chickens and refrigerated (to be eaten within a week) the egg never "sparks" into life. People who breed chickens do this on purpose to get a good sized clutch under the broody, they save fertilised eggs in a cool place until they have enough (say 8 or 10) and then put them under a broody hen; the eggs spark back into life with the heat.. and they hatch 21 days later.

Yes eggs are a chickens period. Milk is a cow's breast milk for her baby.

I love eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i feel ill !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thank **** I hate eggs. I always knew there was a reason for it.

No. One a day. Less in winter.

Yeah this is true. Happened with chicken eggs too. Some of the better farms let their chickens run with cockerels.. it keeps the peace, a "pecking order" if you will. It's better for the chickens welfare than to be cooped up all day. As a result, many of the eggs are fertilised, but as they are taken from the chickens and refrigerated (to be eaten within a week) the egg never "sparks" into life. People who breed chickens do this on purpose to get a good sized clutch under the broody, they save fertilised eggs in a cool place until they have enough (say 8 or 10) and then put them under a broody hen; the eggs spark back into life with the heat.. and they hatch 21 days later.

Yes eggs are a chickens period. Milk is a cow's breast milk for her baby.

I love eggs.
    A chicken can lay an egg a day and the egg takes 21 days to turn into a chick?

I'm amazed the planet isn't overrun by killer chickens tbh.

Gordon wrote:

Hahaha...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

i will never,ever,EVER have an egg again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You've been eating egss all this time, yet after finding this out, you'll stop eating them? Will that help the fact that you've been eating them for years?

*adele* wrote:
    i will never,ever,EVER have an egg again!

Why? Don't be stupid....
    Nothing like scrambled chickens period on toast...
    Or chickens period benedict, one of my personal favorites... mmmm....
    I'm going to order some ostrich eggs in from Africa, those guys lay beasties....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

As far as I know, eggs are not a chicken's period.

They have the potential to become a chicken but because they are not kept in the right conditions (like being incubated by a hen sitting on them), they never develop. My source for this is my Gran (who also tells me I'll catch AIDS from public toilets so you may want to take this with a pinch of salt). To her credit though, she actually does keep laying hens. Apparently you need the rooster to fertilise the hens, otherwise they don't lay eggs.

I've also heard of people finding tiny dead embryos in their eggs which sounds awful but is prob an urban legend.

Anyway, it won't put me off my omelette tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

^ true, it changes nothing. Nobody mention what black and white pudding is made of.....

EDIT/, ah feck it, i might as well
    Black pudding is boiled pig's blood in a length of intestine. In the UK our puddings are usually bound with cereal with suet or cubes of fat added.

Thankfully I have never eaten black pudding, as a nipper my spidey senses tingled when that crap was served up to me...

Who in their right mind would eat this -

"Black pudding is boiled pig's blood in a length of intestine. In the UK our puddings are usually bound with cereal with suet or cubes of fat added. European puddings are lighter because they are often made with cream instead of cereals."

I'd rather eat my own excrement.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Wow, you people just get worse and worse, I can see this turning into a competition, we'll all end up coming up with what we think is disgusting and then feel all triumphant untill the next person mentions a different food which comes from animals. I don't think this statement is even making sense. SWEETBREAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Any chance I get to eat something a bit odd I give it a go. I love meat and always said I'd kill a cow myself to have a steak if need be. And all the vegaterians/vegans who go on about things don't understand the amount of insects they eat in their foods. There are ratios of insects that are acceptable in bags of wheat and the like. The kill many rodents to protect the crops too!

SWEETBREAD.

lol! Now that is something I couldn't eat. That and brains and tripe. I reckon I could give the rest a go.

Black pudding is one of the greatest foods on the planet! Yum!

We eat them before they get past 10 weeks old usually, so it's not a problem. They are the most plentiful bird species on the planet though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

favourite line from a tv show "...and the penis ends up so burnt it is impossible to eat"
    what a show!it did have people eating a baby off a platter....
    btw if you look closely at annny food you eat you will notice disgusting things that happen to it.
    if i say this chicken period thing once a week to some of my female friends they will never eat eggs again.(they're already disturbed at finding a foetus in an egg a few weeks back,found out as they ran screaming into my apartment.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I hope the sqeamish amongst us realise that if they give up eggs its not just eggs on toast, scrammbled eggs, omelettes etc but, Cakes, Meringues, donuts etc etc etc

Me, I don't eat organs, derivatives thereof or anything that looks in anyway like it did when it was still alive. :D I have to get my mammy to take the chicken meat off the bones. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Calibos wrote:
    I hope the sqeamish amongst us realise that if they give up eggs its not just eggs on toast, scrammbled eggs, omelettes etc but, Cakes, Meringues, donuts etc etc etc

Me, I don't eat organs, derivatives thereof or anything that looks in anyway like it did when it was still alive. :D I have to get my mammy to take the chicken meat off the bones. :D:D
    Not all eggs. Cadburys cream eggs still allowed :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

No-one's answered my question about it being more like ovulation than a period....

the way i look at it is this. when labs want to grow bacteria they use meat as a growth medium. they can grow zillions with it. no lab ever uses vegatables to grow bacteria, fungi yes bacteria no.

u wont get ill eating a fungi if u have a normal immune system but u can get very ill eating meat.

i for one would avoid all of it.

Eh.. you can get ill eating any rotten food, meat or vegetable. Your reasoning is staggeringly spurious. If you want a simple (and equally scientifcally inaccurate) way of measuring whether meat will make you sick, look at the amount of meat eaters in the world, and see how many of them are sick from meat-related illnesses. Just do a small poll of your friends to see which of the carnivores are currently poisoned from their meat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gordon wrote:

I'm amazed the planet isn't overrun by killer chickens tbh (105KB)

Eh.. you can get ill eating any rotten food, meat or vegetable. Your reasoning is staggeringly spurious. If you want a simple (and equally scientifcally inaccurate) way of measuring whether meat will make you sick, look at the amount of meat eaters in the world, and see how many of them are sick from meat-related illnesses. Just do a small poll of your friends to see which of the carnivores are currently poisoned from their meat.

do u think its normal eating a pigs intestine full of sh!t in a sausage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

full of blood*

And who says its wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Kitsune

Yeah, eggs=chicken period is one of my stock answers to the "why are you vegan?" question. It's more in jest than seriousness though.
    Can egg laying animals even have a period like mammals?

Even if meat doesn't make you sick now from bacteria, it'll get you in the long run with heart and kidney trouble. And it causes impotence and flatulence...

As for foods you cant eat without eggs, you can get an egg replacer which will do omlettes although I'm not sure about cakes.

Kitsune wrote:
    "why are you vegan?" question.

u dont get tired easily do u by any chance, or breathless.

unfortunately B12 is needed to make haemoglobin and B12 is only found in quantities in meat, eggs or dairy products, without it your blood wont saturate oxygen properly.

do u think its normal eating a pigs intestine full of sh!t in a sausage?

Full of sh!t? No. Full of meat? Yes. Intestines? Not a problem. It's an awful thing to waste meat..or any part of an animal you've killed. Use it all up.. as much as you can anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement