Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metal detectors!

Options
  • 08-04-2005 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey i am flying to america for the summer n was wonderin will my piercings make the metal detector go off? please help :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

wow never thought bout that! how much of you is pierced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I was going to say read back over the forum we had this one recently but it appears someone has been zealous with the housecleaning.
    If you get a wand passed over you there is a good chance that you will beep, it happened to me in frankfurt and luckily I was able to open my shirt and show my nipple piercing, luckily at that point I didn't have my PA yet.
    The portal wont beep, the wand might, with US security like it is at the moment I think you can reckon with a beep.

ive seen the portal beep at the zips up the side of boots! so why not piercings??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It rarely sets off the metal detectors due to the metal that theyre made from AFAIK

ah rite that explains it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I have metal in my leg and when going through Boston (Very Very tight security), they used a wand around my leg and nothing beeped. I guess certain types of metal or metal density doesn't set it off. Saying that though, when going through Dublin Airport, my leg set off the silent alarm (lights flash around the area where the metal is). Got searched straight away around my leg so they obviously saw something on the metal detector that pointed them to my leg. Same thing happened in The Canaries.

Ok I possibly have to qualify this more, It happened to me once so this is not hearsay, there is a possibility it will happen.
    The last time this thread came up it had also happened to at least one other person.

bedlam wrote:
    Original thread is right here

many apologies, a quick scan did not turn it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Surgical steel does not come up in metal detectors so you are pretty safe :)

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Surgical steel does not come up in metal detectors so you are pretty safe :)

What does then? My nipple piercing certainly did, dunno what the material was but it was a snakebite piercing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Well the bar/ring the piercer uses for the original piercing is surgical steel. The plain steel ring or bar like.
    Blub2k4 - have you the original bar in or did u change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If surgical steel doesn't show up, then why don't gunmen just get surgical steel guns and bullets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I assume something the size of a gun would set it off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Chemical reactions and durability is why they won't make surgical guns & bullets.
    But metal detectors also detect mass and then go off

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Well the bar/ring the piercer uses for the original piercing is surgical steel. The plain steel ring or bar like.
    Blub2k4 - have you the original bar in or did u change it?

It was still the original BCR in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Lenny wrote:
    Chemical reactions and durability is why they won't make surgical guns & bullets.
    But metal detectors also detect mass and then go off

surely a blade with a plastic handle could be pretty dangerous, wouldnt have much mass neither

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I think it's to do with the amount of nickel in the jewellery. 316L or LVM *might* set a detector off but I doubt that implant grade steel or titanium would. Stuff like zips have a lot of nickel so that's why they set them off AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

i was in spain a few weeks ago and some peoples belts went off but none of my zips or anything went off so you should be okay ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

i had one of those little pots of vaseline in my pocket and the thing went off. eventually they had to scan me with the bar thing. i know this is totally off the point but...

• Advertisement
Advertisement