Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get the most out of your Nvidia GFX card

Options
  • 08-04-2005 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi, As per a previous post I asked the advise of your goodselves about buying a Club3d 6600GT AGP gfx board. I went ahead and purchased it and unfortunately have spent the last two nights trying to install it.

Here is the problem:
    i) I had a geforce MX2 gfx card in the PC. I un-installed the drivers for this first. Then switched off the PC.

ii) I removed the old gfx card from AGP slot and attached new 6600GT card to the AGP slot.

iii) Turned on the PC, the very first screen is a splash screen giving me infor about new gfx card. Windows then loads and instead of seeing the usual 640-480 4-colour screen I was greeted with a 256 colour 1024*768 screen. I have looked at the driver for this and it says it is VGASAVE.

iv) Okay, upon start up the pop-up appears in the bottom right hand corner that a new "VGA Controller" has been found and then the "add new hardware" pop-up appears.
    Most forums I have been on say I should close this down and not install that way.

v) I use the CD to install the new drivers. It asks me to shut down PC.

vi) Upon re-booting PC the graphics card hasn't been recognised and I'm back up to step iii) above.

I have since downloaded the most up-to-date drivers off the Nvidia website and the same thing is happening- gfx card is not being recognised.
    The system I have is a ABIT Socket 478 IC7-G mainboard with 512mb ram. the PSU I have is a 350v (not sure of vendor).

Hopefully this is enough info, I will have pics of the errors after lunch, it will make things a bit clearer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Sounds like Windows is not recognising the drivers. Go through the Found New Hardware wizard and see if that works. If it doesn't use Driver Cleaner to remove all drivers (after proper uninstall) and try a full reinstall again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 chubbyjoe

Thanks for quick reply
    I'll try that and hopefully be able to tell you how it went after lunch

Hi,
    I tried using the driver cleaner but to no avail. I did everything that it asked for and when I re-booted it still didn't recognise the new graphics card.

I will need to try again this evening.

The other option I was thinking is removing the new card, replace the old one again, installing the old drivers.
    Then add/remove these drivers, Then run the driver cleaner.

After this go through the process of un-installing the old card and re-installing the new card again. (Did all that make sense?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Very odd, did you google 6600GT + <insert your mobo make/model here> ??

Did a search but nothing really came up in relation to in-compatibility. Lots of reviews etc.
    I think i'll try the installing of the old card again and see what happens....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

did you check the AGP aperture in Bios make sure its set to 128mb may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Get the latest drivers. The one on the CD will be out of date.

www.nvidia.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

"The other option I was thinking is removing the new card, replace the old one again, installing the old drivers.
    Then add/remove these drivers, Then run the driver cleaner. "

I had to do this with an older Nvidia card, its a pain but it got it working...

Advertisement