Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aitheantas don Ghaeilge on Irish Soccer Jerseys

• 08-04-2005 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Petition to get the names on the Irish soccer teams jersey's to be changed into Irish

The Football Association of Ireland is asked to recognise the Irish language on the Irish soccer jerseys.

They are asked to replace the existing ‘Rep. of Ireland’ with ‘Éire’ and to have the names of the nations playing Ireland in the future to be ‘as Gaeilge’ on the Irish players’ jerseys.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sacair/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

meant to post this during the week when I got it. Although it would probably confuse half the players I support this for what it's worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should post this in After hours too hundreds of spammy gits with nothing else to do.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

they should also put the captains armband into irish too !! They are hardly going to confuse anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it can be done, it should be done, it will be done, type thinking yea?

sad tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why?

I wouldn't mind having both, but replacing them is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stupid Idea, It's a dead language , let it rest in peace.

ah sure why dont we just go with the three lions eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Why dont we get them made by O'Neills while were at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Pointless idea, if the players name is in irish in general use then by all means it should be on his shirt in Irish but if the players name is in English then it should be in English on his shirt. Forcing the use of Irish on people is the most surefire way to get people against the language.
    I used to hate the roll call in National school being in Irish, hadn't a F**king clue who they were talking about half the time and when there was no proper translation to Irish the headmaster would just make up something.
    Leave well enough alone I say.

They are asked to replace the existing ‘Rep. of Ireland’ with ‘Éire’ and to have the names of the nations playing Ireland in the future to be ‘as Gaeilge’ on the Irish players’ jerseys.

Keano_sli, Its nothing about changing players names . Just Ireland to Eire and foreign team in Irish too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Recently i found out if you in an EL (well pats do it ) about 10 minutes before kick off they name both teams in Irish, kinda cool.

Weird tho being in a ground before the game and staying there during half time (stuff happens)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Keano_sli, Its nothing about changing players names . Just Ireland to Eire and foreign team in Irish too.

Aha, I guess my brain is not tuned in this afternoon, well I have no problem with that of course. Its not as if anyone will notice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Apparantly if they get 10,000 signatures it will be changed...

it was on Pat Kenny yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ah sure why dont we just go with the three lions eh? :rolleyes:

probably because we're not part of England. Do I win a prize.

Changing the names to Irish is stupid and pointless. It may have escaped some peoples notice but English is the main language in this coountry and thats never going to change.

The Welsh don't have their names in Welsh, and I think I'm right in saying that as a percentage theres more people in wales who speak Welsh than in Ireland that speak Irish.

Maybe incorparate the word Eire into the crest but thats as far as I'd go.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Apparantly if they get 10,000 signatures it will be changed....

I vote that we get 10,00 signatures and get it chaged into Russian :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Captain is already in Irish on the armband

Captaen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Don't agree with it. Captaen on the armband is good enough for me. If players want to have their names in Irish, then they'd have their names in Irish as normal, same applies to everyone.

Oh, and for those of you who think it's a dead language, it's not, and that's a fact. Just because you don't use the number 10 bus route doesn't make it a dead bus route. That's not a thread for this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have visons of chaps wearing long baggy shorts in flickering black and white newsreel...

Sounds like a sop but as I'm a blow-in I'll leave it at that.

Mike.

btw 3 lions was a French import by the Normans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

edited sorry I just read the
    Petition to get the names on the Irish soccer teams jersey's to be changed into Irish

So its not the names of the players just the name of the nations, I really should have read the whole post :rolleyes: :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fcuk that sh1t tbh! I actually loved the Irish langauge until I found out the powers that be had some mad fetish about renaming places and peoples names 'as Gaeilge' in order to somehow retain possession of them.

I'm all for calling a spade a feac but you should draw the line at messing around with peoples and place names.

Of course my stance on this issue has nothing to do with the fact that I was once kicked out of class for arguing with the teacher that the 'Albain' in an article he was making us read was actually Albania not Scotland. The article was about Irelands 2-1 win in Tirana back in May 1993 btw.

• Advertisement

If players want to have their names in Irish, then they'd have their names in Irish as normal, same applies to everyone.

Let the players decide, if they want their name printed in Irish let them.

ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYERS NAMES, ITS ONLY THE TWO COUNTRIES PLAYING FFS:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've never paid much attention to the names but do other countries do it? I'll use Wales again seeing as they are the closet I can think of, but for example when Wales played England , did they have Cymru V "insert welsh for England" or did they have Wales V England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

im 95% sure that it was Wales,gonna go find a picture if i can to back it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think they put "Cymru" on the collar.

For those asking, yes, a very large percentage of Welsh people actually use Welsh as their first language, especially in North Wales, I have a lot of Welsh friends, and one in particular speaks English like a foreigner, sometimes he can't think of the right word to use, and has to ask his mates, in Welsh, what word he is looking for in English, but this is not the Languages Forum.

Actually, I'll see if I can find out from this guy if they have any Welsh on their jersies.

I know the Cardiff City jersey has they Welsh flag on the back of the collar.

As for the OP, well, I don't really care what it says on the jerseys, as long as those wearing them perform to their highest standard.

Well that was quick.

My friend tells me that the only Welsh on their jersey is in the crest, and it says:

"Gorau Chwarae, Cyd Chwarae"

Which translates as:

"Good Play is Inter Play", whatever that means.
    myself wrote:
    :eek:
    The Welsh Jersey has no collar :rolleyes:

seansouth wrote:

For those asking, yes, a very large percentage of Welsh people actually use Welsh as their first language, especially in North Wales, I have a lot of Welsh friends, and one in particular speaks English like a foreigner, sometimes he can't think of the right word to use, and has to ask his mates, in Welsh, what word he is looking for in English, but this is not the Languages Forum.

Actually, I'll see if I can find out from this guy if they have any Welsh on their jersies.

I know the Cardiff City jersey has they Welsh flag on the back of the collar.

As for the OP, well, I don't really care what it says on the jerseys, as long as those wearing them perform to their highest standard.

I knew bout the crest thing. Did a bit of reasearch :)

T'was me making the point about how widespread the use of welsh is. Irish is much more of a 2nd language to us than welsh is to the welsh, and they dont use it outside of their crest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I was useing Wales as an example because they are nearest to us in circumstance, but far less millitant about the use of their 2nd language.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    I don't think there is any point putting the players names in Irish though as most of them are English anyway.

Another debate for another day, thats liable to start a few stattoesque posts.

Anyway, if you've an IRish passport your Irish.

ziggy67 wrote:
    I don't think there is any point putting the players names in Irish though
    That is not the suggestion.

It never has been, what is being discussed is changing the name of the country on the jersey, from Republic of Ireland to Éire, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

daveirl wrote:

:
    seansouth wrote:
    That is not the suggestion.
    what is being discussed is changing the name of the country on the jersey, from Republic of Ireland to Éire, that is all.

Advertisement