Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spark Plug Gap

Options
  • 08-04-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the spark plug gap is on a 1990 Toyota Carina 1.6 DOHC 16V 4A-F....Just helping a mate service his car 2moro & not sure what the setting is....had a good look on the net but to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its 0.8mm (0.032"), use NGK plugs.

Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

If you obtain the correct plugs they should be pre-gapped.
    plus I though all Toyotas with electronic ignition were 0.044" ie "11" coded in the plug.

maybe not,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AMurphy wrote:
    If you obtain the correct plugs they should be pre-gapped.
    plus I though all Toyotas with electronic ignition were 0.044" ie "11" coded in the plug.

maybe not,
    you can't presume the gap is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Went with 0.8mm as MercMad suggested....checked the old ones & they were about 0.8mm too....car is running nice & smooth now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

MercMad wrote:
    Its 0.8mm (0.032"), use NGK plugs.

Good luck !

ngk BCRE527Y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kbannon wrote:
    you can't presume the gap is correct!

True, I had a quick look over the truck and it uses 0.8mm, non-pregapped plugs. The camry uses 1.1mm and pregapped. Interesting. I'll assume there is no label inside the engine bay to indicate the recommended plugs, gaps, Static timing, vacuum hose routing etc.

Pity, it's something that's used here which avoids a lot of grief and bad running due to mis routed vac hoses.

So I'll defer to the 0.8mm setting.

An interesting note; I had at one time replaced the OEM plugs in the truck with Bosch, no problems. However, when I replaced the OEM's in the Camry, it gave trouble at idle, when I replaced them again with the OEM's problem went away.

Good luck.

Advertisement