Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason to get Smart?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

PS Garfield... Any news on Santry yet... SAY YES go von go on go on go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Amazing, You'd think they'd invent an edit button for this kind of thing.

But thats crazy talk

TimTim wrote:
    Amazing, You'd think they'd invent an edit button for this kind of thing.

But thats crazy talk
    I Know just lazy at this hour BTW tomorrow's Garfields Birthday.. Maybe he'll be in form for handing out some modems..................lol

I'd think they would be sent out near your date when you go live on the Smart network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Hi,

I'm not sure I even want to know how Beller b knows my birthday.

Maybe he/she works for Smart too? Bller b, I'm intrigued. Anyway, I'm the only official source of information on information (or lack of it) on this forum.

Crown Alley's issues have been resolved, now on track for first week in May. There's a bunch of exchanges all coming in at the back end of April (including Santry). So they're all going to go live at the start of May. All registered 'customers' will be contacted over the next week/ 10 days.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Garfield,

Is it true that Smart do not have a mail server?

dub45 wrote:
    Garfield,

Is it true that Smart do not have a mail server?

We haven't launched a mail service yet. Will do at some point. Soon I think. To be honest and I'm speaking personally here, I think there are lots of other really good mail services out there. I'm thinking of gmail in particular.

The other issue discussed here is access to eircom.net mail servers. As of right now, Smart's IP addresses are blocked from accessing eircom.net. We've made them aware of the situation and we're working on it. Should be a short term problem.

Garfield.

The other issue discussed here is access to eircom.net mail servers. As of right now, Smart's IP addresses are blocked from accessing eircom.net. We've made them aware of the situation and we're working on it. Should be a short term problem.
    Garfield.

Seems they'll do anything to stop you guys from lighting up the market.

TimTim wrote:
    Seems they'll do anything to stop you guys from lighting up the market.
    Conspiracy theory 124.b
    I don't think so...

Garfield.

Hi,

I'm not sure I even want to know how Beller b knows my birthday.

Maybe he/she works for Smart too? Bller b, I'm intrigued. Anyway, I'm the only official source of information on information (or lack of it) on this forum.

Crown Alley's issues have been resolved, now on track for first week in May. There's a bunch of exchanges all coming in at the back end of April (including Santry). So they're all going to go live at the start of May. All registered 'customers' will be contacted over the next week/ 10 days.

Garfield.
    Nice one Garfield, by the way your Birthday shows up on the members list....so I don't work for Smart (If I did I wouldn't be pestering you so much for info) you can ignore the PM re Santry I sent it before seeing this post....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Ok,

Happy to report that I am now 'live' on the Summerhill exchange!

Everything good so far. My advised last date for connection was 29th, so happy with that.

Speeds are: 1.6Mbps down (100MB in 8 Mins) and up at 78.8 - 135.3
    http://www.hoki.com/speed

Peteer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

what are your pins to jolt.co.uk and the speed reported from www.irishisptest.com/myspeed

JNive wrote:
    what are your pins to jolt.co.uk and the speed reported from www.irishisptest.com/myspeed
    Hi,

I've interleaving switched off on my line and I'm getting ping RTT of 19ms to jolt.co.uk / 10ms to www.boards.ie and 10ms to www.heanet.ie

Interleaving is switched on by default but can be switched off by request (subject to certain conditions).

Just so you know.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Ordered mine last friday, sent off the DD form.
    Was told i could be connected this month.

Can't wait

JNive wrote:
    It's the same java applet as at hoki.com
    1.6 Mbps down
    104kbps up

Peteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

Peteer
    can you explain the process of connection-when you changed your number were you without telephony completely, or for any length of time-did you switch from an existing broadband connection and if so were you without web access for any length of time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Interleaving is switched on by default but can be switched off by request (subject to certain conditions).

That's so great that Smart works with customers about options such as interleaving, eircom would never turn the interleaving off even on requests, beggings, and goat sacrifice voodoo magic prayer rituals

And considering how my connection has never had a fault, or drop in speed, or any CRC errors etc., id say i would most likely want interleaving off, and i am within 1km of the exchange, roughly, so it would be a most excellent option for myself

sixtysix wrote:
    Peteer
    can you explain the process of connection-when you changed your number were you without telephony completely, or for any length of time-did you switch from an existing broadband connection and if so were you without web access for any length of time?
    Hi sixtysix,

I migrated from Eircom. I requested cancellation of the Eircom Broadband on the 7th April and was finally disconnected on 11th. I resumed broadband today from Smart. So Two weeks downtime or 10 Working days. Used an old U.TV for dial-up during this time.

Smart were only able to submit my order to Eircom on 15th April so 5 days to be connected if I don't count today.

Regarding the phone number change, I didn't notice any down time. Funny that you ask, I picked up the land line to call smart today and found it was dead. Don't know for how long. I checked that I didn't have a modem connected ect and everything was ok. In less than five mins it was live with my new smart number although the dsl was still not live. I tried the dsl a couple of times and no joy. I re-entered the username and password for the PPPoE settings and all was live.

I have suffered a half dozen disconnects since going live but I'll put that down to teething problems of a new connection. Hopefully it will not continue. In fact was disconnected for about 60 mins (the longest time) after I started this reply.

Back now in any case.

Peteer

do let us know if any disconnects continue and also if possible, some line stats ( attenuation etc)

• Advertisement

JNive wrote:
    do let us know if any disconnects continue and also if possible, some line stats ( attenuation etc)
    I understand from Garfield that the disconnects are temporary as Engineers are working on the DSLAM.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Nice one Peeter!
    Just on the financial side, does it cost more to change your number? Or does the same charge apply?

robo wrote:
    Nice one Peeter!
    Just on the financial side, does it cost more to change your number? Or does the same charge apply?
    No difference!

Peteer wrote:
    I understand from Garfield that the disconnects are temporary as Engineers are working on the DSLAM.

Cheers,
    Peter
    No further disconnects. I got a call from Smart today to let me know that I had gone live. I said "I know and have been connected since noon yesterday. He said, Yesterday, Eircom had only advised them today and they were calling as a result of that.

I also asked if there were many connected at this stage and was told that he had about 25 customers to notify today.

Regards,
    Peter

So is it eircom who have to physically hook up your connection lol, no wonder they are dragging their heels lol

JNive wrote:
    So is it eircom who have to physically hook up your connection lol, no wonder they are dragging their heels lol
    Good enough for them!! lol...If something goes wrong do Smart ring EirCON & tell them "GET IT SORTED".. no that would be nice...

if something was wrong with the actual line to your home, i would understand eircom having to fix it ( since they own it, and are liable for its maintenace ) but if its a Smart connection issue, thankfully i would assume its soley up to smart, and they wouldnt have to ask eircom, 'Open The Door, we need to have a look at our equipment, make sure its working' lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

JNive wrote:
    i would assume its soley up to smart, and they wouldnt have to ask eircom, 'Open The Door, we need to have a look at our equipment, make sure its working' lol

This is exactly what they have to do and they have to pay for the eircom person to call out and be there to watch them while they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i wanted to swith to smart bb but there is no date or idea when it will be available in my area (Wicklow) so i'm sticking with IOL. My mum pays the line rental anyway so i am getting the 2meg line for 10euro a month, which ain't bad - i'd still prefer smart though as IOL has a cap of 24gig.

• Advertisement

Ah, bloody bastards [ my opinion of course ] lol.

All exchanges should become public assets lol. They just dont want the likes of Smart coming in and mucking up the connection of eircom customers lol.

Advertisement