Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ira

Options
  • 08-04-2005 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

ok quick poll should the IRA hand in all their weapons, turn their back on the way of the gun and ebrace politics or should they remain as a paramilitary organisation in the event of future trouble but remain in ceasefire until such a time???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

danniemcq wrote:
    ok quick poll should the IRA hand in all their weapons, turn their back on the way of the gun and ebrace politics or should they remain as a paramilitary organisation in the event of future trouble but remain in ceasefire until such a time???

The only people who would disagree with that are trolls. The Irish people voted *overwhelmingly* for peace when ratifying the GFA. The IRA claim to represent the people of the Irish Republic. They are defying us by not renouncing the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

danniemcq wrote:

Yes, the IRA should hand in all their weapons and progress their struggle for a United Ireland peacefully and politically.

One thing that always puzzled me about this argument -
    Why don't we ever hear anything about Loyalist Paramilitries having to hand over their stash of weapons (if this already happened then pardon my ignorance). Im reading a book called "The Red Hand" by Steve Bruce (not the ex-manu player), it details the arms the Loyalists had up until 1992, and although smaller than the IRA estimated stockpile, it was still a considerable arsenal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

They should turn their back on the way of the gun as should all paramilitaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Keyzer wrote:
    Why don't we ever hear anything about Loyalist Paramilitries having to hand over their stash of weapons

i've been tryin to figure that out for ages myself and still haven't got a "proper" answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Keyzer wrote:
    One thing that always puzzled me about this argument -
    Why don't we ever hear anything about Loyalist Paramilitries having to hand over their stash of weapons (if this already happened then pardon my ignorance).

To be honest, it's because we don't hold them to the standards we expect in civilised society, and that's wrong.

The thing is, they do nothing to change that - only today the Walking No was out again spewing hatred. He is not the voice of a community looking for progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement