Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband over 'leccy again ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

dahamsta wrote:

The ARRL's response to BPL was typical of this in my mind, they were obviously seriously concerned with the issue but their hysterical response only served to confuse non-techies, and piss off everyone else.

The ARRL has always backed up everything with sound and solid engineering, no false claims. Ed Hare of the ARRL is a highly respected Rf engineer with many years experence in EMC issues and is also a member of the IEEE Standards Coordinating Commitee

The PLT lobby have done an excellent job of making it all look like hysteria and nonsense on the ARRL's part. The PLT companies have a very well oiled PR machine combined with what to the average non technical person sounds like a great Idea.
    The ARRL were an easy Target for them. On the other hand they kept very quiet indeed about the FCC submissions from organizations like Boeing, Association of Public Safety Communications Officials [APCO],NITA, representatives of the maritime HF radio organizations and the work being done by the likes of the BBC technical department.
    Think along the lines of McRedmond's responses to Eircom's detractors and you may have a better idea of how this thing is being run

.Brendan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

bminish wrote:
    The ARRL has always backed up everything with sound and solid engineering, no false claims.
    I didn't suggest otherwise. They still came across to me as hysterical weenies stamping their feet like children, and that perception had nothing to do with the PLT lobby. Which I'm pretty sure was the entire point of my previous post.

The PLT lobby may be too smooth for your liking (and my liking, for that matter), but the ARRL could learn something from them in the PR department. Just a little though, not too much. Smooth the rough edges. :)

adam

Advertisement