Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squee, johnny the homicidal maniac?

Options
  • 08-04-2005 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

anyone know any good sites relating to these comix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

Man I love those comics. Often looked for decent fansites, but never really found much. In case you didn't already know about them, check out the Invader Zim cartoons, which were made by the same guy, Jhonen Vasquez.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

"i Need More Blood!!! It Cahnges Colour When It Dries!"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You could do worse than check out the Official Slave Labor Graphics site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

So does anyone know Vasquez's plans for the future?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't the faintest idea. Suspect he may be either temporarily out of ideas, since he's done another fillerbunny book and freely admits that they aren't very good...Feh. I'd like to see him illustrating a story written by someone else, but his work isn't unique enough for me to be hugely horrified at the idea of him not releasing anything for a while. Then again, it doesn't help that SLG is pretty much all about goth-styled comics for teenagers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Do you mean the third issue of FillerBunny? I bought it already. It's what I expected - Wild and wacky!

I love Jhonen's writing style. I love the comics so much.

I was disappointed that there were only two issues of "I feel sick". I have most of his comics except the Invader Zim ones (Need more money to get them).

I have also looked for good fan web-sites on them but failed to find any particular one. You will just have to keep hopping in and out of web-sites as each appear to have different information but there is no 'one' master web-site if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Chucky wrote:
    I was disappointed that there were only two issues of "I feel sick". I have most of his comics except the Invader Zim ones (Need more money to get them).
    'I feel sick' is fantastic, the story is excellent and of course Vasquez's style is great as always. And the bits with Johhny are though provoking.

I loved "I feel sick". I think it only makes sense if you've read JtHM, though. It's like ... Chthulu Zen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

solo1 wrote:
    I loved "I feel sick". I think it only makes sense if you've read JtHM, though. It's like ... Chthulu Zen.

"I Feel Sick" was the first series by Jhonen that I read though. Admittedly, I didn't have a clue at the beginning what the comic was about. I recently bought the JTHM softback collection though and am about to delve into that.

Am I in for another great feast of Jhonen style wackiness..?

JtHM collected edition is the best of his work as far as I am concerned. That whole I Feel Sick thing, while rocking, was like the methadone that they give to heroin addicts to get them to kick it.

Am I the only one that got that feeling from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

crap i forget what i was gonna post. oh yeah, check out http://www.bunnyofdoom.org/itm thats the only one i know. Noodle Boy got really crap towards the last comics.

"somebody put sh*t in my pants!!!"

classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

I have the JTHM graphic novel, it is some excellent stuff. I hated noodle boy. Really hated them. Are Squee reccomended? i might pick up one or two next time im in Belfast. I Feel Sick sounds good, is it violent? more so than JTHM?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

superconor wrote:
    I hated noodle boy. Really hated them.

I loved Happy Noodle Boy!

"I will regurgitate no peas!" Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ah. I have nothing further to add to all the Vasquez lovin', just thought I'd show off my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

And you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it on your ban :)

Just till wednesday. Though it's of Zim, one of his works, it's still just a gratuitous 'look at my sig' post.

*EDIT* I've revoked this ban as it was over the top, but please try to cut out the replies which are simply "lol" or "look at my sig" *EDIT*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Suninana

keevita wrote:
    anyone know any good sites relating to these comix?

just go to Google and use the search engine. easiest way. and there's hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 biblo

well his official site is here. But it's only under construction at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I liked JtHM and Squee, but I haven't read any of his other stuff. I love Invader Zim, but nickelodian stopped showing it. I got kind of annoyed by the whole goth thing around JtHM, it's not my style, but it was good while it lasted.

"Stare into the stinking abyss of my individually wrapped slices!"- That one had me laughing for a while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

If you're a fan of Vasquez you should check out other stuff from Slave Labour Graphics. Tommy Kovac, Roman Dirge, Crab Scrambly, Jamie Smart are all well worth checking out. They're all in a similiar vein to Vasquez, if not quite as deep at some parts. Image and Voltaire (comic book companies) have some great stuff as well. More "mainstream", traditional comics can be fantastic too....Preacher, Sandman, Lucifer, Sin City and Transmetropolitian all have very realistic heroes that have their faults, if not as...blatant as Jonnys :D and are all fantastic reads.

Advertisement