Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a Gizmondo?

Options
  • 08-04-2005 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I was gonna import a PSP, but like the idea of the Gizmondo. It has GPS, plus it uses SD cards instead of the prorietary PSP ones. It is more expensive though, and the release schedule isn't exactly packed yet.

But, I was just curious if anyone had one, or has anyone even played one. What's it like? Is it worth it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i think you would be better off with a PSP. Lots more support for it and a much better release line up as well as better games that are out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    i think you would be better off with a PSP. Lots more support for it and a much better release line up as well as better games that are out at the moment.
    plus rappers were out in force for the launch party of the gizmondo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

but can you not run emulators and the like on the Gizmondo? If so you've got 1000's of games to choose from - just nothing too new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes but you can do that on far cheaper and better designed handheld equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Goodshape wrote:
    but can you not run emulators and the like on the Gizmondo? If so you've got 1000's of games to choose from - just nothing too new.
    That's a nice bonus. Very nice. Very very nice...

See, with the PSP, I want a kind of development console. I intend making some 2D games for my personal use, and I think the Gizmondo would be easier to program for.

Oh, and more on the emulators please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

ATi wrote:
    I was gonna import a PSP, but like the idea of the Gizmondo. It has GPS, plus it uses SD cards instead of the prorietary PSP ones. It is more expensive though, and the release schedule isn't exactly packed yet.

But, I was just curious if anyone had one, or has anyone even played one. What's it like? Is it worth it?

Ha!Ha! thats funny! your joking right, please tell me you were joking!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dude, the Gizmondo is going to sink like a lead balloon, soon to be sold off free with any purchase in your local branch of Game, just doesn't have the marketing punch behind it like the competitors do, its not even certain that a market leader like Nintendo are going to be able to weather the onslaught of Sonys entry into the market.
    The Gizmondo will certainly be on my list of purchases but I will wait til they are being offloaded cheap online.
    Its a pity to see a nice piece of hardware fail but there you go, survival of the fittest man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Here's a review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

ATi wrote:
    I was gonna import a PSP, but like the idea of the Gizmondo.

Stop right there, whaaaaaa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

played a gismondo at the MCV awards last thursday night - and they are total rubbish tbh

they had 2 playable games, and the bloke said that may be it for its launch..

racing game is a very bad wipeout clone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Gizmondo is just like a new N-Gage.

Mobile phone with gaming features. Regardless of its actual capabilities (which are quite good), its more then likely going to be a big flop.

It uses SD cards as well, so like the N-gage, no one will have to buy the games after awhile (assuming it becomes popular enough for someone to bother cracking the games)

And - given that it will probably be less popular then the N-gage - that hardly is a great prospect for its catalogue of games.

Look at the N-gage - when was the last time a good game came out for it apart from Chaos Theory? Its just died off completely now.

But yeah, its definately one I'm going to pick up cheap, after the crazy release prices but before the "rare and expensive" price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 plague

Hardly a glowing review by the register. Things don't look good for the Gizmondo.

Ghost Recon,Fifa 2005,Colin McRae 2005,Xmen Legends

Ghost recon is ancient. Fifa 2005 and Colin McRae 2005 have actually been out since 2004, and now that I think about it, so has X-men Legends. While on the point, most of the big gaming sites have discontinued their N-gage sections simply because their is absolutely nothing to write about these days.

Not a very valid point you made there. The plain truth is that the N-gage has an appalling library of games. There are alot of good ones of the currently available but regardless the selection is very poor.

I have an N-gage and I have have every N-gage game currently released, including the rather crappy unreleased Alien Front. The stream of games released has died off completely.

King of fighters, Ghost Recon, Tony Hawks, Red Faction, Operation Shadow, all good games with great multiplayer.

But there are thousands of games for say - the GBA. How many N-gage games? 50? 60? The PSP will eventually I'm sure have a great and varied selection to choose from also.
    I assume your one of those people who was barely used a ngage

So just becuase I think the N-gage is a dead system with regards to game you say that? I used my N-gage on a frequent basis, I used it for radio, mp3, watching movies, playing games, and whatever.

I understand that they have slashed the price by 100 pounds, but you have to agree to get spammed with ads in return...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 plague

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. So does it cost you money when those ads are streamed to your jizmondo? Great, so adware comes preinstalled these days. :rolleyes:

While it's a nice idea, GPRS multiplayer is gonna cost you. Can't say I want a system that costs me money as I use it. And most consumers are tight bastards (me included). If I'd be willing to part with cash for the machine & some games, that's all the money I'd like to part with! Not have a steady stream of cash siphoned away.

plague wrote:
    Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. So does it cost you money when those ads are streamed to your jizmondo? Great, so adware comes preinstalled these days. :rolleyes:

While it's a nice idea, GPRS multiplayer is gonna cost you. Can't say I want a system that costs me money as I use it. And most consumers are tight bastards (me included). If I'd be willing to part with cash for the machine & some games, that's all the money I'd like to part with! Not have a steady stream of cash siphoned away.

I think the advertiser pays for the cost of sending the ad via GPRS, however dont leave the country with it, then your screwed, it does seem like a bizarre idea

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ATi wrote:
    Oh, and more on the emulators please? :)

I believe he's referring to the GP32, which you can supposedly play most of the 16-bit emulators on as well as Mame and (apparently) a good few GBA games (Which are effectively snes games anyway, really).

Gizmondo...ugh. The Register's review painted a pretty grim picture, but maybe in six month's time they'll have the problems sorted and turn it into something decent. If they've somehow gotten a few decent games for it by then, they might stand a chance. But at the moment it's looking about as likely a contender as the Phantom console...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Gizzard wrote:
    Stop right there, whaaaaaa?
    Quoting the *new Simpson's* jokes makes baby Jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Gizzard wrote:
    I understand that they have slashed the price by 100 pounds, but you have to agree to get spammed with ads in return...
    Still... it's pretty cheap now, I mean even just for the GPS €190 isn't bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it on sale in Dixons over the weekend. I think it was about €410...
    (but hey, it IS Dixons) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Bargain!

is it me or is the only fasination with the gizmondo akin to watching a car crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭conformist

its you man

Yeah man see a doctor.....lol

I wouldnt mind a gizmondo at all.

Not a big fan of watching car crashes though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

personally i think the gizmondo , but it will be beaten to death then raped psp , becauase of its fan base, even though its a great lil peice of kit i cant see it survive against the psp

well I understand it can play mame type emulation, if thats the case it might have a chance, however how long before there is a PSP mame version out, not long I suspect

RE: watching car crashes!, thats the only reason I play Burnout 3 )

Advertisement