Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reclaim The Streets Mayday 2005!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

You mean "public roads". Not "public property".

It's sort of like the way that only aircraft can use airport runways, and only boats can travel on water, and only spaceships can go into space. Roads are *for* cars and trucks. That is why roads are built, and why they are maintained.

If this is the RTS position, it's even more flaccid and vacuous than I thought.
    Exactly! Before this thread I might have has some underlying respect for people who were willing to protest something worthy of protest. Now I think the RTS protests are a sham. I can't believe it actually. Why don't you bring a barge onto the liffey? Or have your party on Runway 1 in Dublin Airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Cars go down Dame street using the road, pedestrians use the paths and can cross using pedestrian crossings. Whats the problem?. RTS is just a way of promoting a far left ideology, nothing to do with getting cars out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

How are the demonstrators going to all get to Dublin for this party ..... walk or god forbid ... drive.

Cars were built for roads.
    Footpaths were built for pedestrians.
    Cars have to stop at a red light.
    Pedestrians have to stop at the red man.
    All is fair.

Now what would you boys and girls think if we had one day a year when cars can drive on the footpaths wherever they want whether the pedestrains got out of the way or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Sherlock wrote:
    Cars go down Dame street using the road, pedestrians use the paths and can cross using pedestrian crossings. Whats the problem?. RTS is just a way of promoting a far left ideology, nothing to do with getting cars out of the city.

Ahem. No it isn't. It doesn't *have* any ideology - they think cars are "elite" for crying out loud.

Unless I am very much mistaken, if they *were* promoting a far left ideology they would be conducting this "demonstration" in such a way as to inconvenience *no* members of the public, as an attemtp to show that all sectors of society have a place.

As it is, they're just being silly.

pollyantic wrote:
    Now what would you boys and girls think if we had one day a year when cars can drive on the footpaths wherever they want whether the pedestrains got out of the way or not.

See this - this is me clapping:

<><><><><>><>><><>><><><><><><><>><><>

Smashing post.

Reclaim the footpaths - to be followed by reclaim the runways and reclaim the ferry ports.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

pollyantic wrote:

thats what i say reclaim those paths, take them back for the petrol demons... now if only i drove

See this - this is me clapping:

<><><><><>><>><><>><><><><><><><>><><>

Smashing post.

Reclaim the footpaths - to be followed by reclaim the runways and reclaim the ferry ports.

damn you and your swift posting ways...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

why don't the RTS crowd not reclaim all the parking spaces in the city? You could just sit in the spaces, or even better, set up BBQ's in them for the party!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

people that own cars and trucks, please read above entrys to follow the argument
    priceless !

god bless you sunshine, this thread has me in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it just me, or does anyone else think of the Mayday riots...eh... I mean "protests" as being where Neo-Nazis in the UK and Germany smash up stuff? That's why the gardai are defensive on this day and delve out a fairly strict a$$ whupping on anyone who steps out of line, they just don't want a full scale riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 pennylane22

God i cant stand those reclaim the streets ****, so self righteous. I agree with most of what they say but half of them cant even string a sentence together. Its just such a pity that it gets hijacked by idiots whose idea of rebellion is dreadlocks and planting spuds at shannon!

go penny

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

"If you tried, you could be in danger of knocking me off my bike, in which case you would me destined for a worse fate than being mown down by a car." are you threatening me?

so if you dont have the money to pay road taxes, you shouldnt be able to use public property. i have no problem letting yoy travel down college green, but do cars allow pedestrians.

people who dont celebrate RTS still expect to drive through it. yet i dont celebrate st patricks day, and yet i cant drive through the city.

your status quo society is not what we want so we are not going to contribute to it the way you want us to.

Im not threatening - just warning, anyone who poses a threat to me !

Besides - there is nothing about an Elite using the roads. Pedestrians can use the roads when the signal lights permit them to do so - In fact, they can do it even if the lights do not signal them to do so. There are no jaywalking laws in Ireland. Whereas motor vehicles mustobey the signals. Anyway, the signals allow for fair use of the roads to everyone. (Theoretically anyway)

Why don't motorists have a reclaim-the-pedestrian-areas protest and start parking all over footpaths, parks & shopping arcades ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

jomanji wrote:
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think of the Mayday riots...eh... I mean "protests" as being where Neo-Nazis in the UK and Germany smash up stuff? That's why the gardai are defensive on this day and delve out a fairly strict a$$ whupping on anyone who steps out of line, they just don't want a full scale riot.

OK, Why take off badge numbers and stop filming and photography unledd the Guardi knew they were doing wrong? I have a lot of friends in the Guardi, I asked all of them after the Robocop incident that if he was one of your colligues, would you report him, they all said no. Watching eachother's backs are the Police's first priority, which I understand in their line of work, but if makes accountability for corruption almost impossible.

My understanding of RTS is that Public spaces like pheonix park, stephens green etc. all over the world are deminishing. smaller areas of public space were people can play are being eliminated by gates and railings one by one. you can't look anywhere without seeing a myriad of advertising slapped in your face. it's not like ads on telly where you can change channels if you don't want to see ads, you can't choose not to see billboards, and crap everywhere you go. Walk down O'Connell St. and count the number of ads you see in billboards, windows, banners, busses, everything. The use of peoples public space (not land or roads) for these reasons caused a sense of clostraphobia in some who feel the need to express their feelings, hense the RTS movement was thought of as a way of taking back an area of such space for fun! all over the world RTS events have had mixed levels of sucess, some are great carnivals, people are encouraged to bring their children who enjoy street entertainment, music dancing etc. Others, including here in Ireland have unfortunatly suffered a bad reputation for outbreaks of violence. At the end of the day, it is about having a bit of craic, listen to some tunes and dance about in the middle of town, free event, by the people, for the people.

As for the G8 thing, trade globalisation has it's ups and it's downs, I am not against globalisation in general, but believe that social globalisation should be established to ensure civil rights for all people before some trade globalisation methods exploit people from disadvantaged countries.

The issues of RTS and G8 are loosely linked and I think they should be kept seporate from one another.

So don't get pissed at thise feckin hippy students for not having a point, don't take it so seriously, let your hair down and have a bit of fun. If things look like they're getting hairy don't get involved and just walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

Spacedog wrote:

My understanding of RTS is that Public spaces like pheonix park, stephens green etc. all over the world are deminishing. smaller areas of public space were people can play are being eliminated by gates and railings one by one. you can't look anywhere without seeing a myriad of advertising slapped in your face. it's not like ads on telly where you can change channels if you don't want to see ads, you can't choose not to see billboards, and crap everywhere you go. Walk down O'Connell St. and count the number of ads you see in billboards, windows, banners, busses, everything. The use of peoples public space (not land or roads) for these reasons caused a sense of clostraphobia in some who feel the need to express their feelings, hense the RTS movement was thought of as a way of taking back an area of such space for fun! all over the world RTS events have had mixed levels of sucess, some are great carnivals, people are encouraged to bring their children who street entertainment, music dancing etc. Others, including here in Ireland have unfortunatly suffered a bad reputation for outbreaks of violence. At the end of the day, it is about having a bit of craic, listen to some tunes and dance about in the middle of town, free event, by the people, for the people.

As for the G8 thing, trade globalisation has it's ups and it's downs, I am not against globalisation in general, but believe that social globalisation should be established to ensure civil rights for all people before trade globalisation methods exploit people from disadvantaged countries.

The issues of RTS and G8 are loosely linked and I think they should be kept seporate from one another.

So don't get pissed at thise feckin hippy students for not having a point, don't take it so seriously, let your hair down and have a bit of fun. If things look like they're getting hairy don't get involved and just walk away.

here here. i only wish i could have articulated the objective lke that. nice one Spacedog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Reclaim the Footpaths - best idea I've heard this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How many times has almostagassi been asked to explain what these muppets want and has failed to do so? Is there any possible way your next post can actually have something intelligent to say other than crap about car owners being elite and other crap like that.

Myself... I think ill feck off down the country or something for May day... If Dublin is going to come to a hault with hippies everywhere causing trouble... You can have your streets... Looking at video footage of the riots it was anything but peaceful.. You actually think a small group of Gardai (lets face it you outnumber them by a LOT) decided to charge into a huge croud? You actually expect us to believe the Gardai wanted to get into a fight where they are outnumbered??? Most of them are afraid to walk around Ballyfermot let alone actually WANT to get into a fight.
    Looking at the videos you guys were not cowering or running away.

Saruman wrote:
    How many times has almostagassi been asked to explain what these muppets want and has failed to do so? Is there any possible way your next post can actually have something intelligent to say other than crap about car owners being elite and other crap like that.

i'd reckon he'll slip quietly away to bother elitest car owners with un-intelligeble garble...

Saruman wrote:
    Looking at the videos you guys were not cowering or running away.

What video were you watching? What about the guy making the peace sign getting clobbered?

Why do you think that Guard took off his numbers? did they fall off? was he having them cleaned?

Why were the Guards stopping people from filming and taking photos? were they camera shy? were thay afraid of their souls being stolen by the evil magic of photography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ILOVEYOU

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mcdonnell03/movies/mayday.wmv

Went in with a cam to this years! 20 meg DL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

For me, and i do not speak for the reclaim the streets at an official level, its about creating awareness of dissent at grass roots level. public resourses and civil liberties are being erroded for the benefit of wealthy minorities and commercial services.

so for one day a year, people of ireland who would not normally be allowed on to public property can enjoy it too.

What public property? The Roads? Who isn't allowed walk on these roads? You want to do more than walk across these roads, you want to sit down and drink on them? I must say while walking in the streets of dublin i've never had the urge just to sit in the middle of a road, nor have i thought "imagine we all had a party on the streets!!!"

I don't know how you create this awareness, i passed it by one year and i didn't see any banners or sign posts except the ones maybe advertising the actual event. It was just people playing football on streets and drinking or whatever. No effort being made to fight any cause. Knacker drinking in the middle of the day in the city centre is what it's in aid of.

Nidge wrote:
    Knacker drinking in the middle of the day in the city centre is what it's in aid of.

HELLLSS YEAAAAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Spacedog wrote:
    OK, Why take off badge numbers and stop filming and photography unledd the Guardi knew they were doing wrong? I have a lot of friends in the Guardi, I asked all of them after the Robocop incident that if he was one of your colligues, would you report him, they all said no. Watching eachother's backs are the Police's first priority, which I understand in their line of work, but if makes accountability for corruption almost impossible.

My understanding of RTS is that Public spaces like pheonix park, stephens green etc. all over the world are deminishing. smaller areas of public space were people can play are being eliminated by gates and railings one by one. you can't look anywhere without seeing a myriad of advertising slapped in your face. it's not like ads on telly where you can change channels if you don't want to see ads, you can't choose not to see billboards, and crap everywhere you go. Walk down O'Connell St. and count the number of ads you see in billboards, windows, banners, busses, everything. The use of peoples public space (not land or roads) for these reasons caused a sense of clostraphobia in some who feel the need to express their feelings, hense the RTS movement was thought of as a way of taking back an area of such space for fun! all over the world RTS events have had mixed levels of sucess, some are great carnivals, people are encouraged to bring their children who enjoy street entertainment, music dancing etc. Others, including here in Ireland have unfortunatly suffered a bad reputation for outbreaks of violence. At the end of the day, it is about having a bit of craic, listen to some tunes and dance about in the middle of town, free event, by the people, for the people.

As for the G8 thing, trade globalisation has it's ups and it's downs, I am not against globalisation in general, but believe that social globalisation should be established to ensure civil rights for all people before some trade globalisation methods exploit people from disadvantaged countries.

Nail on head.
    Exactly what I think of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Spacedog wrote:
    it's not like ads on telly where you can change channels if you don't want to see ads, you can't choose not to see billboards, and crap everywhere you go.

You could do what I'm going to do and move OUT of the city. There is WAYYYYY more countryside than city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

Nidge wrote:
    What public property? The Roads?

its not necessarily the roads, but the public space. The amount of public spaces where people can meet up and hold meetings, congregate or just chill is diminishing the world over.

RTS was originally set up, at least partially, in a response to the lack of free public space in America. There was no town centre as such, so people met up in the malls, which had effectively replaced the town hall. However, these malls are private, and so if they don't like what you are saying, you can be removed, which has happened.

I think its a good idea, even if some of the organization is a bit haphazard.

And i really don't see why people get so annoyed about it, it's not really harming anyone. The amount of private traffic in the city centre should definitely be cut down/stopped. Not only for air/noise pollution, but to make the city more friendly to visitors, and those who live there.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You could do what I'm going to do and move OUT of the city. There is WAYYYYY more countryside than city.

I did, I moved to Carlow four years ago. Good luck to you moving, you won't regret it. It's not an option for everyone unfortunatly.

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~mcdonnell03/movies/mayday.wmv

Went in with a cam to this years! 20 meg DL

Sweet, Great Stuff, What was that thing the Guard pulled out of your bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

First of all, as a user of an automobile you are levied for use of your car on that public property and you are levied for the upkeep and maintainence of that property through systems of tax. The roads that belong to the private or semi-private bodies (such as motorways/toll roads) are not public property per say.

However the areas of space where May day took place is in fact public property. If the car users are inconvenienced for one day of the year by the use of the pedestrian public, then I would say the pedestrian public are incovenienced every other day of the year by the vehicle driving public.

I could go into detail of how many people die from the ignorance and stupidity of a percentage of drivers on the road as result of direct accidents. Then I could go into detail of how much money is spent on subsidising the road infrastructure and so and so forth. I can then go about emissions, and then go on about the mass production of these cars, and so and so forth.

However to think a public protest party/emancipation of property is invalid because it mildly inconveniences your day to day life, truely shows your ignorance.

I would agree that their is a lack of solidarity and union between the ideals of what the crowds are gathered there for, but likewise I would doubt Mr. Joe Soap would exacty be thrilled by the prospect of anti-capitalist anarchists protesting, nor would I expect him to think that 'anti-capitalist anarchists' are anything but violent, petrol bomb wielding, disenfranchised youth.

So this is what I would say to you, be happy that someone still cares, be happy that they act pacifistically, and be happy that someone is going to protest for your freedom, my freedom and always critique every injustice and try and make people aware of it.

I'll do that while you sit eating your McDonalds, listening to the latest pop on your iPod, through your Sony speakers in your 3 litre jeep wondering, "WHY ARE THEY COMPLAINING? LIFE IS GOOD."

Spacedog wrote:
    Sweet, Great Stuff, What was that thing the Guard pulled out of your bag?

Like this heavy brass yolk i brought in just in case someone tried to nick the camera or something!

I just snuck the cans in down my trousers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    Like this heavy brass yolk i brought in just in case someone tried to nick the camera or something!

I just snuck the cans in down my trousers :D

Wow bringing a weapon and boozing, I'm sure you gave an impartial and intelligent pov of what went down.
    the gardai did not like this so they had whats know as an "agent provocatuer" to stir some trouble. this is an undercover guard that incites and procures other people to attack the guards ie entrapment, and once one or two people attack the guards, that would give the guards reasonable cause to believe there is a likelihood of an immediate riot, which entitles them to use as much force as they think is necessary which is by battons. the guards know that they are answerable to no-one

I love the quotation marks around "agent provocatuer" as if we're too stupid to get the concept. Care to provide a single shred of evidence to back up this claim because even Indymedia are sceptical about it.
    Spacedog wrote:

Originally RTS was a mixture of militant cyclist campaigns, anti road protests and the burgeoning rave scene, combined with the new aged traveller groups, who where protesting against the criminal justice bill in the UK, combining political protest with art and creativity, and fun.

Personally I don't go on a protest to get ossified, and I think drunks getting out of hand weaken your position.

Like so much of the anti globalisation movement RTS is trapped in fixating about early success, Seattle, Gothenburg, Prague, Trafalgar square, and not developing or evolving forward. Meanwhile police have woken up and developed superior tactics, such as containment to weaken the protests point. If cops, searching everyone who’s coming, surround you in you're not reclaiming a public space, you're just in a nice pen where they can keep an eye on you.

During mayday 2003 (a year after Dame st 2002) a group of drunken protestors split off from the group and the half dozen of them that plonked themselves down on the street, threaten Gardai who responded (and I say this with gritted teeth) admirable restraint.

See this is my issue; I'd see an RTS as a part of a of greater social movement. People who attend these protests see them as an ends, if you just turn up at one of these every six months, and make noise about heading up to Scotland man, and this is your only campaigning involvement, then you're a dilettante, playing dress up, and you're not going to change anything.

If you use RTS as a vocal and loud way of making a greater point that you're consistently working towards fine. But then if you're not, you're just making the oppositions point, that you're blocking traffic for the sake of it.

Reclaiming it for an afternoon is all well in good, but tomorrow the graffiti will be washed off, the beer cans swept away and the billboards and cars will be back, what are you doing to make a significant lasting change?

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    Wow bringing a weapon and boozing, I'm sure you gave an impartial and intelligent pov of what went down.

Yeah I well should have fúcked it through a mcdonalds window or something...

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    Yeah I well should have fúcked it through a mcdonalds window or something...

Wow, it's like male Naomi Klein, thanks for the intelligent and profound insight. You make the anti globalisation movement look like a bunch of spoilt children.

Go home, square!

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    Go home, square!

You've no idea who I am..........

And you've no idea who I am. Did you even download the film?

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    And you've no idea who I am. Did you even download the film?

I thought it was a tad juvenile or childish.

Have you seen the one I made, back in 2002? Little bit more captivating......

i thought the film was good, enjoyed it.

mycroft wrote:
    I thought it was a tad juvenile or childish.

Have you seen the one I made, back in 2002? Little bit more captivating......

No, but I'd like to!

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    No, but I'd like to!

Oh but I think you have

• Advertisement

Good stuff.

Pity there was no riots this year, would have made for a kick ass vid! The drunken hobos would have kicked the fúck out of the guards!

ILOVEYOU wrote:
    Good stuff.

Pity there was no riots this year, would have made for a kick ass vid! The drunken hobos would have kicked the fúck out of the guards!

Christ, I forgot, you're a moron............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

mycroft wrote:
    Jaysus mycroft. spacedog, shrimp, this moron, how do you always manage to get trapped trying to talk sense into the thickos? You need a bigger stick, or something.

mycroft wrote:

Learn how to hold a camera steady!

Spacedog wrote:
    What video were you watching? What about the guy making the peace sign getting clobbered?

Why do you think that Guard took off his numbers? did they fall off? was he having them cleaned?

Why were the Guards stopping people from filming and taking photos? were they camera shy? were thay afraid of their souls being stolen by the evil magic of photography?

You can spin it whatever way you like - the Gardai do not just baton charge people willy nilly.

The Farmers managed, repeatedly, to bring the country to a virtual standstill - and no riots.

Have a wash, sort out a coherent argument, and *then* protest all you want. Until then, cop on.

its not necessarily the roads, but the public space. The amount of public spaces where people can meet up and hold meetings, congregate or just chill is diminishing the world over.

RTS was originally set up, at least partially, in a response to the lack of free public space in America. There was no town centre as such, so people met up in the malls, which had effectively replaced the town hall. However, these malls are private, and so if they don't like what you are saying, you can be removed, which has happened.

I think its a good idea, even if some of the organization is a bit haphazard.

And i really don't see why people get so annoyed about it, it's not really harming anyone. The amount of private traffic in the city centre should definitely be cut down/stopped. Not only for air/noise pollution, but to make the city more friendly to visitors, and those who live there.

Public spaces in Dublin are among the most generous in the world, and far from diminishing are being activly incorporated into new developments. Take a wander round the IFSC - lovely places, pedestrian heaven.

• Advertisement

You can spin it whatever way you like - the Gardai do not just baton charge people willy nilly.

They did that day, it's on video. If they didn't, why take off their numbers off, stop filming, photography? That's not spin, I'm looking for an answer.

IFSC is private property btw.

Spacedog wrote:
    They did that day, it's on video. If they didn't, why take off their numbers off, stop filming, photography? That's not spin, I'm looking for an answer.

IFSC is private property btw.

Yes, absolutely - the evil conspiracy gathered up all the psycho gardai in Ireland, gave them steroids, and said "have at em, boys". If you do something stupid, and a guard says "stop it or you'll get smacked", any subsequent smacking is your own fault.

The IFSC is indeed private property - but go wander round. Nobody cares.

Unless you look like an unwashed layabout RTS protester. Then they drown you in that weird bridge thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Yes, absolutely - the evil conspiracy gathered up all the psycho gardai in Ireland, gave them steroids, and said "have at em, boys". If you do something stupid, and a guard says "stop it or you'll get smacked", any subsequent smacking is your own fault.

The IFSC is indeed private property - but go wander round. Nobody cares.

Unless you look like an unwashed layabout RTS protester. Then they drown you in that weird bridge thingy.
    Again, yet another idiotic post, not just idiotic, but frankly offensive.

My friend was one of the Gardai at the protest, he himself didnt use force, take off his numbers or threaten any of the protestors.

However quite cleary if you watch closely you'll hear such classic lines as

"I'll assault who I'll like!" [ http://uk.indymedia.org/local/webcast/uploads/assultwhowelike.mpg ]

and catch some classic moments as 5 Gardai bashing a girl in the head!

[ http://uk.indymedia.org/local/webcast/uploads/policebeatgirls.mpg ]

not too mention two 6 foot something Gardaí pouncing on some kid in the street!

[ http://images.indymedia.org/imc/uk/policeriot.mpg ]

oh and you'll find Gardai not escorting but throwing teenagers across the road. Peacekeepers indeed.

Now as for your pathetic suggestion. There is nothing that the RTS crowds would love more than to hold a protest in the epicentre of Ireland's financial district. However, it is, private property, so legally you cannot gather and you are subject to law of that property.

However the gathering of people and peaceful protest ARE legal in this country.

As for the farmers, they have power over a business asset.

As for the protesters, they have the power of protest and opinion, that's it. That's why they're not heard, that's why the police use violent, or semi-violence (water cannons)

Even in 2003, after the fiasco of the year before, the Gardai stepped up the protest, to include roughly 1200 riot police, lined up all in black, batons and shields. Now, the thing about riot police is they dont have numbers that are visible they're on the back of the helmet, so the only way you'd ever know who they are is to break the line. Also, a lot of the riot police were N. Irish. Hehe, and let's not forget transporting these peacekeepers to the 'warzone' used up about 20 Dublin Buses give or take, plus about 20 riot vans, about 30 cars, and two water cannons used by the NI police.

Surely you can see it's a fact of Irish culture that minority of drunken morons who go along to anything will cause trouble, GAA matches, football, rugby, St. Patrick's Day. You dont see the police using excessive force and wielding batons at these people though do you.

There was an injustice to the people on the street in 2002, caused by the simple fact the very keepers of the peace were afraid that their authority would be withdrawn. If we were violent protesters you would have seen 12 severely beaten Garda Siochana, rip shirts badges hats helmets. However we are not a violent group of protests. We, like anyone though, will always fight against a withdrawal of our freedoms when we feel it is unjust.

Just like the founding fathers of this country did, and so many have done throughout the ages.

So no, it's not a conspiracy. It was idiocy. It was a lack of control, foresight, it was a petty attempt to silence the very people who's voices are never heard.

What last year was a well control, well planed absolute and utter futile march. The gardaí dictated and controlled the entire event, so as we all walked for 6 miles to fall into their 'venus water cannon trap', and our freedom was compromised.

The year was well controlled, fun was had by all, but the gardaí spend an unnesscessary fortune and people like Eoghan-psych get all hot and bothered trying to put together some form of illogical insults and even more idiotic "quotations".

If you have some opinion, think about it, formulate it, maybe read over it once or twice to see if you come over like an idiot, maybe edit it a little, then just make sure to check your facts, and THEN post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I went along to this years RTS, purely out of curiousity. I'm in now way a supporter of whatever lefty "cause" they reckon they represent. (I'm a commerce student, active member of Fianna Fail and huge believer in centre-right economic policy). However my roommate, an Arts student, was going so I went for the craic. It was an interesting day out, definitely an enjoyable experience. Lots of people dancing away to music. There were considerable numbers drinking in the streets but there was very little drunkenness, that I witnessed. But then public drinking isn't a crime all over the state (Drunkeness however is). It is only a local law and one that very few would consider a real "crime". Myself and my friend mingled among the crowd, went for a pint or two in nearby pubs and soaked up the atmosphere. I only saw one bit of trouble with the Gardaí. One Garda tried arrest some lad (I have no idea what for) and the guy ran into the crowd, the Garda tried follow him but a crowd of people surrounded the suspect, blocking the Garda whose colleagues urged him to back away. This was very sensible policing, with the Gardaí wanting to contain the party and prevent disorder without doing anything inflammatory themselves.

If you do something stupid, and a guard says "stop it or you'll get smacked", any subsequent smacking is your own fault.

what a load of absolute bull****. The gardai should never, ever use force in that manner. Essentially, 'Stop annonying me or i'll hit you', they are supposed to be role models, the people we choose to maintain order, not some petty 6 year olds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement