Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dubes/Dubarrys

• 08-04-2005 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TheMurrinator

Hey everyone!
    Wot does everyone think of these? I know theres been another thread but i startd another one so dont complain! ]
    And who prefers brown
    Hu prefers navy etc
    Please reply! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'd rather die than wear a pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

****ing hate them.
    horrible shoes tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TheMurrinator

I like them though! navy or brown anyone? :D

Reply u no u wanna! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TrickyDicky

Tbh, last year they seemed to be kinda ristricted to the business student populations of UCD and trinity but now every common pleb is wearing them. "Loike can you believe I saw someone from DIT wearing them the other day roight" Overheard that on the Luas :) . It's seems the fad is coming an end, I wonder what will be next?. Anyway thats my 2 cents....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

AFAIK their popularity started off in the fee paying schools about 5 years ago. So it's not really a fad. Well not with the people I know anyway. I got my 1st pair back in 2000.

violent-smiley-092.gif3803-02-big.gifviolent-smiley-041.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

I'd rather die than wear a pair of them.
    i know the feeling
    but to be told "Oh c'mon adele eveeeryone has them you should get them!" made me not want them even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They were a trend? People were wearing shoes like that back when I was in secondary school(mid-90s) not because they were "cool" but because they were one of the few styles allowd by the uniform code. Yuk!

they're ridiculously expensive too, for the amount of shoe you get, somethin like €115 aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

Bah, iv got two pairs! i love them, iv been wearing dubes for years now. I never wear the white soled ones.....way too gay....brown soles all the way!

go for a pair and you will never stop buying them! very comfortable and easy to maintain! Perfect! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

i got another pair for 110euro there only two weeks ago! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

simu wrote:
    They were a trend? People were wearing shoes like that back when I was in secondary school(mid-90s) not because they were "cool" but because they were one of the few styles allowd by the uniform code. Yuk!
    That funny about that. they are banned in a few schools now. How the tables have turned.

Anyway I'm not a fan. They are sailing shoes. I don not sail. Ergo i have know need for them. Mind you they are meant to be comfortable.

And another point, man ranting is great, Is anyone else seriously sickened when you see those blue/navy Cantanbury/O'Neills (both happen) worn with brown Dubes. Why would anyone choose to combine those two colours. Now matter what the clothes I would not be seen dead wearing an amalgimation of brown and blue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

dubes are great, they are the most comfortable school / smart shoes

I'd say, Brown with like biege coloured clothes, and black with like jeans etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

But they do not suit casual clothes! They only ****ing suit smart-casula sailing based clothes! would you walk around wearing a sailing jacket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i know the feeling
    but to be told "Oh c'mon adele eveeeryone has them you should get them!" made me not want them even more

they are like them charity bands that are in now.

people buy them for fashion but haven't a clue on their real purpose.

would you walk around wearing a sailing jacket?

Henri Loyd do some really nice ones
    Cremo wrote:
    people buy them for fashion but haven't a clue on their real purpose.

Cremo, I take it you have researched this topic, maybe even done a thesis on it?

no because i don't have to write a thesis on the subject.

these dubes or whatever you what to call them are SAILING shoes.

they are meant for sailing.

on the flip side, them charity bands are for raising awareness of charity ogranisations.

everyone (no joke) in my class has some sort of band beit a red green yellow black white one. When i ask them what charity they are for, i got one answer "i think the yellow one is for childline or something like that" the rest of the answers were "i dunno".

it's like going around wearing ski/snowboard boots when not snowboarding.

or wearing runners when ur not running?

You're a complete plonker! Yes, fully complete!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

This is predictably becoming a stupid thread. If they're rising in popularity big deal. We wore these back in school many years ago - and they were banned back then so nothing has changed. They're associated with southsiders...again big deal. If you don't like 'em don't buy them. They're well made and last.

Shrimp wrote:

cheers for that,

anyways i thought the whole point of a message board was to voice your opinion and all.
    certainly that was the idea of boards when i signed up. now all we get are faggots that look to pick a fight.

Shrimp wrote:

also when wearing runners you can potentially progress into a running state.

with sailing shoes on walking down the street you're hardly going to say hmmmm i think i'll hop on a yacht and go sailing as a spur of the moment type of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Quite honestly, they're the most ridiculously horrid things I've seen, and I for one wouldn't be caught dead wearing them. They're as bad as wearing socks with sandles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The finest shoe known to man..

I went to a D4 school, I go to college in D4 and I sail.

That is all.

Look, I think the main reason why alot of people wear them is becasue they are very comfortable, and they last long. Then on the other hand some people wear them purely for the look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dubes are better than prison white runners, lets face it, they're the lesser evil.

I used to own a black pair for a couple of years, but I did so much walking in them that I wore through the sole. Quite comfortable with the advantage that you don't have to break them in either. But then I discovered Doc Martens. Now there's come comfy footwear...

Shrimp wrote:
    Look, I think the main reason why alot of people wear them is becasue they are very comfortable, and they last long. Then on the other hand some people wear them purely for the look.
    yes exactly that was my first post.

they are like them charity bands some know what they are but most where them for the look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

They smell of Southsiders.

Easily the most bent Shoe around

• Advertisement

actually they are very bendy! serious, u can like fold them practically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I think they can look good on some girls, I have a preference for the brown ones, I've always liked brown over black. But most guys can't pull them off, you've gotta have small feet for them to look good. That's why mainly girls pull them off. I saw a group of pure southsiders (yes, I'm one myself) walking into Pizza hut the other day. Every single one of them except two (out of 12) were wearing abercombie clothes, head to.. ankle, and were either wearing Dubes or those Puma's! Then the other two guys were wearing rugby jerseys.. Was actually funny, 10 guys wearing a uniform pretty much! I mean seriously! wearing an Abercombie hoody can be cool, but that's it! then trousers are gay! (except on some girls, then they've gotta be tight on the ass :D ) But no matter who it is, nobody can wear an Abercombie hoody with Abercombie trousers. Under no circumstances! Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

They're great, its like wearing a little sticker that says 'I'm not on the dole'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Shrimp wrote:
    actually they are very bendy! serious, u can like fold them practically!

This bendy quality makes it easier to beat poor people with them.. extra snap-back.. Mmmm..

Im a sucker for nostalgia so I go for the rolled up newspaper approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Sangre wrote:
    They're great, its like wearing a little sticker that says 'I'm not on the dole'.

Toffy nose or what!

• Advertisement

This is why the Liffey needs to have all bridges removed, riff raff who don't know their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

C'mon people lets be individuals by dressing the same as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

arent they meant for yachts/boats or somethin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh god, the D4heads strike again. The hallmark of a 1st year UCD arts D4head is Abercrombie top, tracksuit bottoms and a pair of Dubes. And fake tan and dyed blonde hair.
    *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

true ^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I think they stink!I wanted new shoes for work a while ago , somedoby said to me ou you`ve gotta get dubarrys there so comfortable , I went in for a look anyway , I just hated em got funky boots instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

they are great.i have 2 pairs. brown and navy. ive always had a pair since i first got them.they are a bit pricey tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

i have a pair for school and they are very comfy! would not wear them out other than with my uniform. i have the navy ones.

brown ones can be very sexy on the right guy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

youre in luck then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I don't really know, I've always liked brown for everything, but a girl I know (she's a knack and wears dubes..) they're navy and actually look good with her uniform (dark navy too). They look good with the right outfit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've been wearing them for about 10 years. Yeah they're over a hundred euro, but they last for ever. I still have 2 pair i bought in 2001, and I wear them all the time. And the gortex ones are perfect for the irish weather, don't have to worry about wet feet anymore. Started wearing them in college, have been through about 6 or 7 pairs in 10 years, which is not bad. AND they're made in Ireland. AND they're the comfiest shoes I've ever worn. Couldn't care less what anyone thinks of them, they work for me so thats all i care...

kenmc wrote:
    I've been wearing them for about 10 years. Yeah they're over a hundred euro, but they last for ever. I still have 2 pair i bought in 2001, and I wear them all the time. And the gortex ones are perfect for the irish weather, don't have to worry about wet feet anymore. Started wearing them in college, have been through about 6 or 7 pairs in 10 years, which is not bad. AND they're made in Ireland. AND they're the comfiest shoes I've ever worn. Couldn't care less what anyone thinks of them, they work for me so thats all i care...

Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Thank you bruver. Touch the screen :)

I might get funny looks :D

Wez wrote:
    I think they can look good on some girls, I have a preference for the brown ones, I've always liked brown over black. But most guys can't pull them off, you've gotta have small feet for them to look good. That's why mainly girls pull them off. I saw a group of pure southsiders (yes, I'm one myself) walking into Pizza hut the other day. Every single one of them except two (out of 12) were wearing abercombie clothes, head to.. ankle, and were either wearing Dubes or those Puma's! Then the other two guys were wearing rugby jerseys.. Was actually funny, 10 guys wearing a uniform pretty much! I mean seriously! wearing an Abercombie hoody can be cool, but that's it! then trousers are gay! (except on some girls, then they've gotta be tight on the ass :D ) But no matter who it is, nobody can wear an Abercombie hoody with Abercombie trousers. Under no circumstances! Ever!
    I agree on that wez , that abercrombie should not be worn top and bottom by the way im from d14 where abouts do u liv and wt school r u in?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement