Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats with this plastic wristband malarky ?

• 08-04-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭

Am I getting old or wha, why are some many ppl wairing these daft looking cheapo plastic braclets ? , even blokes ?

Whats the catch? , is it a crazy fad or does money for these silly looking things go to charity or something ?

Regards,

Longfield,
    Clearly becoming an old fart.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

its a crazy fad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

yellow = fight cancer
    blue = stop bullying
    white = end world poverty

dunno about rest.
    some alternatives out there. Think there is one with "livewrong" instead of "livestrong".

Lance Armstrong's yellow band has been around for a while. Other charities are following now. The money goes to a good cause so its ok. Something different to wearing a tulip on your jacket or getting a crappy sticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

People seem to have a big problem with the youth of today donating money to charity.Yes it may have become a fasion trend but so what the charities are still geting the money so go and give out about something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

It's all for fashion now though. These things where selling for $20 on ebay and they only cost $1 new. Kinda negates the whole good cause thing aswell if you buy them on ebay imo.

I think anyone caught wearing them purely because Frank "If I see the Goal I shoot" Lampard and co wears them should be stricken down with whatever ailment they are in aid of. ie. if you wear the yellow wristband may you develop a testi tumour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

then people should use some common sense and don't buy the bands from ebay. think the are sold in bundles of 10 from the livestrong site. buy them between friends or family and no one pays over the top for and the money goes to the charity and not scammer on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

There is a black one aswell, Stand up, Shout out or something.. it's for rascism in soccer.

Guy i go to college with told me his m8 spend like 70 euro in champion sports buying all the colours they have , his arm is like a fkin rainbow :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

There is a black one aswell, Stand up, Shout out or something.. it's for rascism in soccer.

Guy i go to college with told me his m8 spend like 70 euro in champion sports buying all the colours they have , his arm is like a fkin rainbow :p

Ouch, if my wish came true he's be in trouble :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good to hear that some of them have meaning , tbh wairing a bracelet isnt my thing, but I suppose if its not just a fashion thing then more power to the charity organisations for thinking it up and down with some ebayer's making a quick buck from it, suprised that isnt banned, usually ebay seems to take a responsible attitude to this kind of stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You can still buy boxes of Lance armstrong ones... can't remember the Url. Box of Ten for $10

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

http://www.canadianparents.ca/CPO/TweensTeens/Teens/2004/12/05/767195.html

I heard that story about them. Are these the same bracelets?
    Since 2001, the cheap wrist adornments bracelets have gained a nefarious reputation because they’re linked to an Internet game that involves the exchange of sexual favours.
    The jury is still out on whether adolescents actually play the game in which youngsters who snap a bracelet off another’s wrist are expected to receive a sexual favour or if it’s just fodder for schoolyard giggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

People seem to have a big problem with the youth of today donating money to charity.Yes it may have become a fasion trend but so what the charities are still geting the money so go and give out about something else.

Wooo.... I don't think he's giving out, he just wants to know what it's all about. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lump wrote:
    You can still buy boxes of Lance armstrong ones... can't remember the Url. Box of Ten for $10

John
    www.laf.org

$10 for a box of ten, if you don't mind the postage costs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just like shag bracelets back in the day!

kleefarr wrote:
    Wooo.... I don't think he's giving out, he just wants to know what it's all about. :rolleyes:

Its just people seem to be giving out left right and centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

i'm selling pink ones for fags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Its just people seem to be giving out left right and centre

Ohh, you mean somewhere else, not here? Take no notice.

Yea, shipping is a bit big... $11.50, again it's dollars so it's not all that bad. I'm after ordering ten .

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

there are also black ones for the marie keating foundation. loads of people are wearing them for the sake of it, whatever to follow the rest of the heard, but IMO the foundations are still benefiting from it so i dont think its all bad, although i heard some stuff about people selling fakes and pocketing the money alright :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

the champion sports one is fake so its a complete waste of money and you get to look like a tosser for buying one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

get to look like a tosser for buying one anyway

cant disagree with that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I've seen a few custom-made ones going about. www.reminderband.com is one site that offers these but you have to have a minimum order of 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

there is a camoflage one.. like green, dark green, black, and yellow blobs..

it's to show u support the american army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Pink is for breast cancer I believe
    There is a black one intertwined with a white one for the fight against racism

I prefer hula hoops and chopper bikes to boys with bracelets...but well done to those wairing these things and are donating to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

There is a plain white one which is for fighting poverty.
    A Black one which is for against these bands as a fashion item.:rolleyes:
    A red one for childline.
    A blue one for anti-bulling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

The black one is Mari Keating for cancer along with the pink one! There are innumerable bands same colours different meanings so its really quite pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shrimp wrote:
    there is a camoflage one.. like green, dark green, black, and yellow blobs..

it's to show u support the american army

I wonder if they're for sale in Iraq.

There's already something if you dont support the american army - its a little tag that goes around your toe....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

No, they would be "shag-bands", these are cheap colourful bracelets that nobody takes seriously, and they look pretty funky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Holy mudder a jaziz.... is that what the bracelets are for.... :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

the make poverty history ones arent made of rubber/plastic afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Yeah, the Poverty ones are just simple fabric ones with plastic clips. Probably helps cut down on expenses so more money goes to charity.

modular wrote:
    Yeah, the Poverty ones are just simple fabric ones with plastic clips. Probably helps cut down on expenses so more money goes to charity.

Eh... they're free. I assume they're free as they are trying to make people aware of the problems around the world.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Lump wrote:
    Eh... they're free. I assume they're free as they are trying to make people aware of the problems around the world.

John

They're not free, you pay a euro or two and the money goes to charities involved in debt relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

modular wrote:

Actually they are made of fabric as they are produced in a womens co-op in the developing world. Buying the make poverty history band not only raises money for the charity through sales it helps workers through it's production by paying a fair wage to the producers.

Rozabeez wrote:
    No, they would be "shag-bands", these are cheap colourful bracelets that nobody takes seriously, and they look pretty funky!

And they work :D

iguana wrote:
    Actually they are made of fabric as they are produced in a womens co-op in the developing world. Buying the make poverty history band not only raises money for the charity through sales it helps workers through it's production by paying a fair wage to the producers.

This sounds like a bracelet worth buying ...and or wairing if it suits...i'd just buy tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Our school doesn't allow any additional jewellery. They let these past.

I'm a librarian in the school (giving back etc.) and its a rule that you cannot wear those bands in my library when I'm on duty. It is obeyed, or you get kicked out.

That's how much I hate them

I'm a librarian in the school (giving back etc.) and its a rule that you cannot wear those bands in my library when I'm on duty. It is obeyed, or you get kicked out.

Daft fad imho , let girls adorn them selves with bracelets ...the rest just aint manly..altho i would be happy to dontae to the charity..aint gonna ever wair a bracelet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ediz

Heh, they bemuse me more than anything, i'd rather just donate to a charity that I felt deserved it and forgo the whole wristband thing. Though having said that one gets the feeling that more than a few of the wearers wouldn't be donating were it not for the popularity of these things so respect to whoever worked out how to "trick" so much cash out of people for a good cause.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the idea is good. make money for charity by selling wristbands,

what annoys me is the fake ones,
    a girl inmy course has a yello "peace" one,

the livestrong band is to help eradicate testicular cancer. its not a fasion item, if it turns into one, ok, but make sure you get a real one, they arent that exspensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Eamon Dunphy and Johnny Giles were wearing red ones during Champions League on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Youcan buy blue ones with children holding hands on it for Tsunami Relief but i think they are just for sale in surrounding countries in SE Asia????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Wow. You rule your kingdom with an iron fist.

You are a small petty little man aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i hate these things, die die die.

Advertisement