Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXEL modem problems

• 08-04-2005 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I had a thread posted in the wireless forum about how I couldnt get my wireless setup to work.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=239505

Well, Ive been able to do a little bit of investigation and Ive found out that the problem stems from the fact that I dont seem to be able to connect to my ZyXEL modem using a LAN connection. I can only connect using the USB cable.

This has been a real thorn in my side. It means that I cant get web access on my machine. Im only able to get it on the family computer (which sucks!)

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Well theres somethin wrong if your modem won't work with the ethernet connection(you sure it's not a crosswired cable you're using?). Otherwise the only way to share it via usb would be to set up internet connection sharing on the computer its connected to. This would let the other machines access the net through that computer, but only while its running - which is far from ideal I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Give yourself a static ip of 192.168.1.x, x being anything but 1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

Try connect to http://192.168.1.1

If it works, you're in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Ive been trying all of the above with no luck at all. I couldnt connect using my 'family' pc. I tried DHCP and a static ip of:

ip -> 192.168.1.2
    subnet -> 255.255.255.0
    gateway-> 192.168.1.1 (the modems ip)

I tried different lan cables too.

Then to top it all off. I just tried bringing my own pc down and going through the whole rigmaroll again. No joy at all! :mad:

What the f**k is going on here!? Is it possible that the modem is bust? If so would esat replace it?

Thanks lad...

Sounds like your modem could be fcuked alright. Theoretically once you have your computer set to get IP address automatically it should just be a matter of pluggin the modem in and it should work straight away.

Sounds like your modem could be fcuked alright. Theoretically once you have your computer set to get IP address automatically it should just be a matter of pluggin the modem in and it should work straight away.
    Anytime I connected through the lan using DHCP, if I used the 'ipconfig' command it would return a crazyass IP. One thats not in the right range at all.

• Advertisement

gobby wrote:
    Anytime I connected through the lan using DHCP, if I used the 'ipconfig' command it would return a crazyass IP. One thats not in the right range at all.
    You mean to say that the DHCP on the modem was giving your comp a weird IP? Can you access the modem web interface via LAN?

Okay, Just to clarify, I have two machines. Mine and the family machine. The family machine is the one connected (through the usb) to the web now and is the one beside the modem.

The plan was to use a wireless router to connect up my machine which is upstairs.

The DHCP was giving the family computer a strange ip. Only I dont think that the modem gave it. There was no default gateway and if I used the 'ipconfig /release' command it said that there were no DHCP connections that could be released.

When I had my machine connected (using a lan connection and DHCP) I was able to access the modems web interface. I was able to use the wizard, enter in the username and passwork and then successfully test the connection. ie. the adsl connection was fine as was the username and password.

If I then went to connect neither internet explorer or firefox could find google. I could ping the modem no problems. I double checked the browser settings and they were as instructed by the user manual.

Ok, set your comp to Dynamic IP, connect the modem via LAN and see what IP it assigns your comp. Also, by any chance do you also have a wireless connection set up on the same comp?

Ok, set your comp to Dynamic IP, connect the modem via LAN and see what IP it assigns your comp. Also, by any chance do you also have a wireless connection set up on the same comp?
    Well, while testing all of this I plug out the wireless. I'll see what the addy is thats assigned now. I hate doing this. After messing around I have to reconnect using the usb. Its a right ould pain in the arse! :mad:

Yeah, make sure the wireless is disabled coz only one connection at a time can work.

• Advertisement

Okay. I made sure the wireless was unplugged. Then I disabled the usb network connection. Plugged out the usb cable (from the modem). Plugged in the lan. Tried DHCP. The ip that was assigned was:

ip -> 169.254.244.109
    subnet -> 255.255.0.0
    gateway -> none

Then I tried a static ip of:

ip -> 192.168.1.2
    subnet -> 255.255.255.0
    gateway -> 192.168.1.1

Nothing. Could never ping the modem or get to the web config.

Do you mean you can't ping the modem at all or only when you assign a static IP? That first IP is a public IP address. If its not comin from the modem then where the hell is it comin from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Set your workgroup name to WORKGROUP

Cant ping it at all when using the lan connection (DHCP or static ip). No probs with the usb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Heya Gobby,
    Got a few neat tricks here for ya (I hope they do work).

If you are running NIS (Norton Internet Security) disable it before you start and tell it to stay off untill restart.

1. You should download a simple program called Angry IP Scanner, its a self-executable so you dont need to install it. (If you PM me your email address, I can send it to you). Connect a computer to the Zyxel over ethernet using a straight-through cable. Set the static IP to 192.168.1.5, subnet is automatic, gateway to what you believe your modem's IP to be and if you want, DNS to 159.134.237.6 . Execute the IP Scanner, click the button with IP and an up arrow on it and the modify the IP range to be from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 . The program will show any live hosts on the network, your computer and the Modem should show up, you will now have the IP of the modem. If the modem has not shown up, try a scan using 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255 . My modem has been on 192.168.0.100 since we bought it and it is a Zyxel, very reliable modem, I prefer the telnet interface to the HTML one on these modems.

2. You seem to know a bit about DOS so ill assume its safe to give you a command. When you are connected over USB, open a prompt and type "tracert 159.134.237.6" No inverted commas, this will trace the route your computer is taking to access the IP specified, the first hop should be your modem and this is a way off yielding your Modems internal IP.

3. Should you still be experiencing problems, you could one day happen to be browsing the web and go to www.whatismyip.com , PM me your modems external IP and I connect into it and sort it out :)

4. I have been wondering about something since I started writing this reply, what happens when you log into the device using the USB interface, surely you can configure it that way and find out its IP. The other thing is that in the past, when I have been working on other BB modems, I could still specify the IP when connected over USB and connect successfully to the device, so in the case of a modem using USB, I get the impression that it is a USB to Ethernet Bridge. Similar to using a USB-Ethernet adapter and then ethernet on to the modem which would explain the ability to use an IP when connected over USB.

Let me know how you get on,

~User X

I disabled NIS (forgot I had it installed). I know the ip of the modem. Thats not a problem at all. The usb connection is an, erm... bridge. ie. It appears as a network connection complete with ip settings etc. Just as if it were a lan connection.

I am also able to change the ip of the modem and I have done in the past.

I have to knock off now! :) Have a thesis to start in the morning!

IMO its definately a problem with the ethernet connection to the modem. Check to make sure that the ehternet card on your comp is workin. If your wireless router has a wired switch then connect it up and make sure it works. If so then I'm pretty sure it has to be a problem with the modem and you should demand a replacement.

IMO its definately a problem with the ethernet connection to the modem. Check to make sure that the ehternet card on your comp is workin. If your wireless router has a wired switch then connect it up and make sure it works. If so then I'm pretty sure it has to be a problem with the modem and you should demand a replacement.
    Well I am sure that the lan connections on both pc's and the wireless router are fine. I am able to connect the wireless rounter to the machine downstairs and transfer files wirelessly to (and from) the machine upstairs. Theres definitly no problems there.

Would esat not just tell me to feck off cos the usb connection works!?

They can't tell you to feck off coz the equipment they supplied is HALF working! Tell them that you need to use it over ethernet.

They can't tell you to feck off coz the equipment they supplied is HALF working! Tell them that you need to use it over ethernet.
    I guess so.

Damit! One more bloody thing to get in the way of my college work! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help lads. :D

• Advertisement

Was on to Esat. They are gonna send a replacement modem. Sweet :D:D

Thanks again to all who replied :D

gobby wrote:
    Okay. I made sure the wireless was unplugged. Then I disabled the usb network connection. Plugged out the usb cable (from the modem). Plugged in the lan. Tried DHCP. The ip that was assigned was:

ip -> 169.254.244.109
    subnet -> 255.255.0.0
    gateway -> none

That 169 address is a private configuration address.

It means that windows has been unable to contact a dhcp server so it assigns it that private config address.

ronoc wrote:
    That 169 address is a private configuration address.

It means that windows has been unable to contact a dhcp server so it assigns it that private config address.
    Ah that makes sense!

Advertisement