Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Trials - Conclusions:- 2Mb or 3Mb?

• 08-04-2005 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Guys, some market research with the 'Boardsters'.

Following the recent IBB trials, the technical teams are having difficulty with the QoS tools available to them.

IBB therefore needs some input as to preference:

Which is preferable?

2Mb for E40 plus VAT, no caps, or 3Mb for the same price, with a 1Gb per day data limit after which you rate limit down to say 256kbps for the rest of the day before it opens up again?

A 3Mb connection with rate limits when you exceed your daily allowance provides a fairer distribution of bandwidth.

IBB has to make a decision this week-end, so no matter whether you have an IBB connection or any other connection, your opinion counts please.

Thanks

OT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I would have to go for the 2mb. Its not unusual that I would download 2gb+ files in a day. Then just browse/play games for the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

2Mb Same as above

I think many customers would find the 3Mb line frustrating when they do actually go over the limit and i can see the call center being swamped with my line is going slow fix it or i will kill calls.

For games / browsing the visible difference between a 2mb / 3mb line is non existant.

And 1Gb is a bit low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I'd say 3mb with 40gb per month limit. Would stop people sapping bandwidth while still giving a faster connection.

1gb a day is far too rigid, in my case for example I often download 2/3 gb in a day and yet only download about 6 gb overthe entire month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would go for 3Mbps with cap if the cap is a bit more flexible, like a weekly or bi-daily cap perhaps so that a sudden usage spike doesn't kill the performance. I'm a moderate user who values consistent performance so if there's any risk of losing speed I would go for a 2Mbps that delivers that performance all the time over a product that gives me 3Mbps a lot of the time but might give me 256kbps sometimes. I would pay extra for a 3Mbps service that delivers all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

Would have to agree with the above and go with a reliable and transparent 2Mb service than 3Mb with strings attached.

The second option is open to ping pong accusation/counter claim between the customer and support and will likely lead to huge issues with customer service. And to be honest, customer service is one of the major failings with IBB, so this would only worsen the situation. To recap, a stable, reliable 2Mb is preferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Not sure of the legalities of this but if you decide to change the service this drasticly (to the capped 3mb line) can we break our contract for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Blaster99 wrote:
    I would go for 3Mbps with cap if the cap is a bit more flexible, like a weekly or bi-daily cap perhaps so that a sudden usage spike doesn't kill the performance. I'm a moderate user who values consistent performance so if there's any risk of losing speed I would go for a 2Mbps that delivers that performance all the time over a product that gives me 3Mbps a lot of the time but might give me 256kbps sometimes. I would pay extra for a 3Mbps service that delivers all the time.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

2mb no CAPS.

Old Titan that would be best in my opinion.

But NTL are going to 3gb in the next 10 days !! and will be intoduing the 1 gb a day CAp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It would have to be 2MB. I'm on the NTL and it's quite simply too much of a headache to stick with a 1GB cap a day. Honesty I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if I could have the 3MB line for the same conditions as the 2MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would say go with whatever provides the most reliable service.

I'd be more than happy with either. I'll take slowdown after 1GB over total cutoff after 250MB any day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Oh the 2 meg connection with out a doubt and no limits there is no doubt im my mind. If i had already downloaded my 1 gig for the day with out realising and then realising i had an online game match later on in the day and being stuck with 256 would be a killer. I would take a 1 meg unlimited over the 3 meg 1gig anyday. Im not with NTL for a reason! NTL are the the 1gig cap boys. "30 gigs a month is loads" ..... famous last words. I think there is a world market for at least 5 coputers......

Are the contention ratios going to change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd go for the 2 meg, uncapped (but assumably with QoS). Because 2 meg uncapped with QoS would still allow me to download more per day if i wanted it. Also, you have to remember one of IBB's main perks is the lack of cap. No limits is a very strong pull factor. If you introduce a cap (even though you don't charge for going over it) you remove this pull factor.

Then its up to people to decide if Smart would be a better option, as currently (afaik) smart are also offering an uncapped service, but with a "fair usage" policy attached. The only drawback on this is the insanely slow upload speed that comes with the 2meg download.

My usage can vary hugely. Over the last 3 days, i think i've downloaded about 20 megs (yes, 20 megabytes in 2-3 days :p). But between 3 and 7 days ago i think i downloaded a fair few gigs each day. I found some live shows :p

To summerise: Two things but you ahead of the pack at the moment.
    1) Lack of cap.
    2) Symmetrical connection.

Don't lose those advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Blaster99 wrote:

He's said it all for me really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To summerise: Two things but you ahead of the pack at the moment.
    1) Lack of cap.
    2) Symmetrical connection.

Don't lose those advantages.

Ditto. If you still have those advantages in a few months I'll probably switch from NTL to IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I wouldn't mind the capped service of 3 megs... But how about a 2.5meg uncapped service? You still remain ahead of competitors in speed and download allowances :D Best of both worlds. I signed up for IBB first day because of its speed. Don't lose that. Got added bonus of uncapped thrown in. But I still think IBB should remain faster than most services. This is purely from a market point of view at least. Smart started it off you continue it. Market competitiveness. Most ppl will see a superior service in a 2.5meg offering and then the uncapped too. This will give you more new aspiring customers :) (and keep your exsiting ones)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

2048/2048 IS a superior service 768K superior

For the €20 extra if i was looking to get a connection id go for IBB

1. They are semi establihed
    2. I dont like the way smart want your eircom line signed over to them or get a second line in (I get LOADS of free eircom calls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

3Mb with a 7Gb per week data limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Out of interest, how long would it take to download 1gigabyte @ 3Mb/sec?

(~45-50 minutes or so?)

I'd have to say I like the sound of 3Gb - and i mean that literally. I liked being able to say i had 1Mb symmetrical, compared to the 512k/128k DSL proles. Let's keep them braggin rights, guys. Sad? Sure, but 2Mb just won't cut it these days.

Not so keen on the strict 1Gb/day though... maybe if the rate limiting wasn't so severe... say 512Kb instead of 256Kb, or perhaps only implementing rate limiting where dictated by demand (ie necessary to ensure quality of service for all customers at that time)?

Also, will the 2Mb really be 'uncapped', or will the existing (somewhat unspoken) ~1Gb/day that's been mentioned in other threads be enforced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I'd say the 2meg no cap service sounds best to me. The problem is that it won't sound best to average joe... He'll just think its the exact same as his piss-poor eircom DSL.

*drools at the thought of 2048/2048 uncapped*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

How about something like this.

2.5meg uncapped service, €40+VAT a month. With QoS enabled.

1) Its faster than the competetion. A bonus point for joe soap.
    2) Same great price we currently pay.
    3) Its still uncapped.
    4) You can use your QoS to only limit people to 1/4 or at most 1/5th of their max speed when they've gone over X gigs a day, and the bandwidth is needed elsewhere. As soon as the bandwidth frees up, the person who was limited can use it again.

Whether that'd be easy to implement or not i don't know.But it seems to combine (roughly) the best of all the options being mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

What I would like would be a service that would guarantee a minimum speed of 1Mbit with a cap of say 40GB per month. Over the last week I have had speeds as low as a 56Kb dialup on a number of occasions and I would like this situation to be remedied.
    I am not really interested in the advertised maximum speed I am only concernedabout the actual download/upload speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

After having what's supposed to be an upgrade from 512 to 2Meg with IOL BB+ for the last few days in Celbridge I'd say -

A RELIABLE 2Meg connection (not one that swings all over the place depending on the hour of the day :( ) & No Cap at all as I easily could either knowingly or unknowingly exceed 1Gb a day at times depending on what I'm try to get etc.. Also the symmetic up would be bloody brilliant compared to the crappy 128K up I have at present. That would be good for €40 pm Ex VAT

I'd even willingly pay €55-60 pm Ex VAT for 3MB service that was symmetric, uncapped & RELIABLE - CONSISTENT etc.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Blaster99 wrote:

-- I would agree with this to. Stable performance is better then an up and down connection. not gone the download cap.
    We nearly crashed our college network before because of to much bandwidth usage in our downloads on a 30Mbps leased line! They didn't use QoS services that would have kept it stable
    I am still waiting for IBB service to connect me but I hope it to be a good service.

On another note the BreezeACCESS VL Gear supports a maximum data transfer rate of 3Mbps. If in later months you plan to upgrade again to 4, 6Mbps due to Competition. I would see it more viable to have the connection to peak at 3Mbps but average around 1.2 to 2Mbps. This would make full use of the Equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

I rekon 2mb with no caps would be the best, dont particulary want to check my how much ive dloaded every 5 seconds incase i go over the limit and my conn gets nerfed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To be honest I think I have only ever downloaded more than 40 gigs in a month on one occassion. However, I do like having the option of being able to download more if I need to.

For IBB is the only "proper" supplier in the country and the lack of caps is the main reason. The fact that the service is symetrical is a massive deal also.

Would ye not consider leaving the 2 meg service as it is and offer the choice to move to 3 megs for a little extra a month with the same conditions as the 2 meg service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

2Mb for E40 plus VAT, no caps

Not everyone has thier broadband to them selves, ie there may be more then 1 pc in a household and the cap will be a right pain.

I think you will get bandwith hogs when someone gets their connection at first as they havent quite cottoned to the fact that they dont need to dl the whole interweb in thier first mnth. But the binge downloading stops eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

thats a very good point, the cap would certainly hurt those ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

3mb with a 1gig a day cap actually made me snort

2mb no cap is far preferrable.

as mutant fruit said if you lose unlimited and same up/down speed(assymetrical)

you will be saying bye bye to a lot of customers i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

It’s often the case that a single download can exceed 1GB so with this in mind I reckon a 2mb no cap connection would be better. How frustrating would it be to be downloading say a 1.6 GB torrent of your fav homemade movie and then all of a sudden your rate drops to 256 when the file is 60% complete, stress!!

2mb, no caps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement