Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Trials - Conclusions:- 2Mb or 3Mb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's 2.30am in the morning so I'm not going to be all that sharp but my understanding is that they can't implement an ideal QoS system because of tool limitations, so they have to come up with a blunter instrument. This blunter instrument will be based around specific caps triggering throttling. My understanding is further that they have a very blunt QoS system right now along the lines of "we think you're a heavy downloader, we'll throttle you during peak hours until we change our minds". So there is currently no unlimited service and there won't be an unlimited service. The difference is that the speeds are going up and the QoS parameters are transparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Nephew wrote:
    echoing bostons post, what use is a 3mb line with a daily cap of 1 gig if you can only get full speed for an hour or so?

by introducing a cap of 8 gigs a week (i.e. 32gigs a month) you're pretty much offering the same deal as all the other broadband providers. the reason i went with ibb was because of your fair usage policy, which most people here would agree with.

I think you're missing the point of what IBB are floating as a suggestion. Rather than 1GB a day and then being penalised on a per-day basis, it's a weekly cap. At least then you're not going to get screwed for a brief spike in your weekly traffic.

To be honest, imo, if you're breaking a sizeable weekly download limit inside the space of a couple of days there is something fundamentally wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

3Mbit before you reach your limit and 1Mbit after that (constant) is about 100 times better then any other providers out there. Drop the install charges and I'd signup now (honest, PM me offering free install and you have me now!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

OldTitan wrote:
    Next debate, 2 scenarios:-
    1) 3Mb symetric service replaces the 1Mb service, with 8Gb per week. Once you exceed that, you are rate limited to 1Mb. After a further 2Gb, you are ratelimited to 512kbps.
    2) 3Mb symetric service. After 8Gb in a week you are ratelimited to 512kbps during peak hours, say 07h00 to 10h00 and after that you get full speed again till the next period commences. Assume each period starts on Friday at 18h00.

New comments?

TBH i'm a bit worried that you magaged to deduce the above scenarios as being "what the customer wants" from all the posts on this thread. I agree with the majority of other posters that would like the 2MB line, no restrictions.
    IBB have always been a good stretch ahead of the competition when you look at their package compared to everyone else. Any of the above would be closing the gap IBB have on their competitors.
    A 2MB line on the same conditions as the existing 1MB connection!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

OldTitan wrote:
    OK, read the whole debate. The idea behind QoS /limiting 24/7 bandwidth is that we can offer a more stable service if we reduce the guys who are doing maximum downloads 24/7 during peak times. It gives the other users better service.

What I have seen above is:
    a) totally against any form of a 'cap', but OK with QoS management
    b) OK with a 'cap', but with greater flexibility.

I fail to see how you came to those conclusions. Seems obvious the majority would rather a service with is slower but uncapped. they are not "ok" with a cap, but if one is forced upon us we would like greater flexibility.
    Next debate, 2 scenarios:-
    1) 3Mb symetric service replaces the 1Mb service, with 8Gb per week. Once you exceed that, you are rate limited to 1Mb. After a further 2Gb, you are ratelimited to 512kbps.
    2) 3Mb symetric service. After 8Gb in a week you are ratelimited to 512kbps during peak hours, say 07h00 to 10h00 and after that you get full speed again till the next period commences. Assume each period starts on Friday at 18h00.

New comments?

If these are the only options offered I'd go for 2), but both are fairly poor. It seems that IBB are trying to pull all the strings in order to say they have a 3mb service. Truth is you would have a 3mb cap service and a 512 uncapped service, and if you honest you would sell it as such. All this is making want to keep my 140 euro installation cost and see what UTV does in the next few weeks with reguards cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

dont particularly like either of those suggestions

2meg constant is far stronger

if pushed id go for the latter option of 3meg then 1meg at 'peak times' this cap point, speed change, cap point, speed change thing is crazyand i cant believe that it is viable in terms of ibbs employees either. imagine the amount of calls they will get my speed is gone i only downloaded this much, why is my speed this, my connection is fux0red etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

I think both are quite good options, id personally go for door number one. You'd need to dowbload over 10GB a week before your dropped to 512 and andyone who is is just hogging the bandwith and downloading for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It's not the amounth your download, cap it if you want to cap it. it's jsut I don't see the point in selling a 3mb product that is going to be at 512k the majority of the time. It's pissing me off having a 2mb service which is around that speed most of the time as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davedm

I gotta say guys as a new IBB customer the service so far has been up and down at the moment I am writting this on a dial up connection cause my Ibb been down since yesterday.
    Anyone else in the Blanch area with same prob???

Anyway on the topic I would just be happy with a constant 2mb connection no caps at the same cost.
    This capping business makes life to complicated I sometimes download a huge amount in one day to use bugger all the next by playing games and stuff.

So 2mb working properly no cap is my vote

Dave
    Blanchardstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

davedm wrote:
    I gotta say guys as a new IBB customer the service so far has been up and down at the moment I am writting this on a dial up connection cause my Ibb been down since yesterday.
    Anyone else in the Blanch area with same prob???

Anyway on the topic I would just be happy with a constant 2mb connection no caps at the same cost.
    This capping business makes life to complicated I sometimes download a huge amount in one day to use bugger all the next by playing games and stuff.

So 2mb working properly no cap is my vote

Dave
    Blanchardstown

Mine is fine what mast are you coming off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Let me put it this way. In the last four days, i havn't downloaded more than 350mb. (most of that is a game update :p).

Then, last month in a specifc five days i took more gigs than i have fingers and toes. Thats just the way i download. I just happened to find several dvd images i wanted. (yes they're legal afaik). And so i downloaded them. We're now nearly 1/2 way through april, and i have yet to break 7gigs so far.

But at this stage last month, i had well gone above 8 gigs. This is why caps aren't a good idea. You were suggesting a 2 gig a day cap, and then limiting people to 512. Well, thats 60gb a month. I didn't go over 60gb last month, BUT i did definately go over 2 gigs a day on quite a few days.

Caps are a no-go area if you can possibly avoid it. If you're happy to give people 2 gigs a day, then why not just give them unlimited and 2meg, and enable QoS to limit them if (and only if) you start running low on the bandwidth, and other people need it.

If you're pushing the 3meg connection so that you can say your faster than all the competition, why not just offer 2.5meg with the same uncapped policy as the 2meg? Its still faster, and its uncapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Drapper wrote:
    Mine is fine what mast are you coming off?

afaik hes off the ballycoolin mast Drapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davedm

off the ballycoolin one yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I still dont like the idea of braod band with any limits. Speed is only a number marketing guys need to sell the product to new people, its not all that important. Also if there is an 8 gig limit in a week how do i know when im close to that limit with 5 pc connected to the web i cant keep track of how much gets downloaded here. So with EoS im limited and wont know about it till it happens. I dont like the idea of that. 1 gig can be downloaded in about 4 hours online less with a 3 meg line. People wont realise how east it is to goto 1 gig when they get their 3 meg lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

A gig takes less than an hour at 320kB/sec. And 3meg should be able to deliver at least that.

Basically, if they end up doing a 2 gig a day cap, and then limiting people to slower speeds. I won't be able to download ANY dvd torrent without being slowed down. Thats definately not a good thing. For example this torrent is over 3 gigs. I don't want to be slowed down downloading just one file!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Of the 2 choices:

Is certainly the best choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I moved to IBB for the no cap. I dont like the thought of not having that. I wouldnt be a heavy download user, i have my moments but always download overnight so not to do the dog on it with other users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Like many others on this thread I will download for days at a time 24/7 and then for the rest of the month do next to nothing. I personally always throttle any p2p downloads as I really dont care if it takes a few hours or days given always on and no daily caps, I just leave the thing chugging away. What would seriously p*ss me off is when I come to do something a little more interactive to find that I've gone over a daily allowance and was seriously throttled. Say I need a .iso quickly or ftp something to work. I'd always want top speed regardless of my other activity for that. Also any major throttling would have to be enough to sustain VoIP as I no longer haven an Eircom line given IBB's capless product and no requirement of a phone line. If for half the month that was unusable I'd be very annoyed.

So ideally stay capless at whatever speeds you can offer. Capless and symetrical at 2mb is still better than anything else on offer! If you have to implement a cap (that's if you REALLY HAVE to implement a cap) then spread it out across the whole month and make it big enough so that only those that are a real problem for the network are hit by it. 60G a month - but spread accross the whole month, not per day - would be tolerable. I guess if it were possible to limit p2p traffic only then that would be OK. It's not as if you ever _need_ that DVD today and not tomorrow. But sending stuff to work cant wait a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

hhhmmm......

2nd one definately sounds the better option. Honestly id rather ave a 1mb constant and reliable then a 3mb that gives me the speeds of a supped up isdn conn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BigMoose wrote:
    So ideally stay capless at whatever speeds you can offer. Capless and symetrical at 2mb is still better than anything else on offer! If you have to implement a cap (that's if you REALLY HAVE to implement a cap) then spread it out across the whole month and make it big enough so that only those that are a real problem for the network are hit by it. 60G a month - but spread accross the whole month, not per day - would be tolerable. I guess if it were possible to limit p2p traffic only then that would be OK. It's not as if you ever _need_ that DVD today and not tomorrow. But sending stuff to work cant wait a day.

This makes alot of sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If the service is capped everyone should be legally able to break their contract for free.

Also I think the vast, vast majority of people want 2mb uncapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

We all said that when netsource capped their 'unlimited' service. If you are still under contract then I promise you there is something in there which allows the isp to basically do as they please if it is appropriate to maintaining a certain service standard.

edit: altho in saying that when that happened i did ring and cancel my deal immediatley but i was contracted into a further 2 months which sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sangre wrote:
    If the service is capped everyone should be legally able to break their contract for free.

Also I think the vast, vast majority of people want 2mb uncapped.

True, Its better to have a slightly slower service at 2MB thats uncapped rather than one that I could easily go over the cap within 60 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Just wondering if OldTitan knows if IBB will be dropping prices on your 1mb service because it is very inviting to me I want to change from DSL as I am with UTV I don't think I have to say much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

2Mbit uncapped definitely
    To summerise: Two things but you ahead of the pack at the moment.
    1) Lack of cap.
    2) Symmetrical connection.

Don't lose those advantages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

2Mb uncapped, as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Old titan,

Just wondering has any dicission been made on what speed the upgrade will be any when will it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

colin300 wrote:
    Just wondering if OldTitan knows if IBB will be dropping prices on your 1mb service because it is very inviting to me I want to change from DSL as I am with UTV I don't think I have to say much more.

There will be no more 1mb product !! It will be 2meg across the Board for starter package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Pity though a cheaper option would be nice. Options are nice old titan, any chance of having options when you introduce the new packages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well there's Ripwave. From what I've heard, it won't be technically possible to increase the speed of the service beyond 512kbps. Maybe they'll reduce the cost of this? Ripwave will still have its place I assume, considering it's a less invasive install that Breeze.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement