Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Trials - Conclusions:- 2Mb or 3Mb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Drapper wrote:
    There will be no more 1mb product !! It will be 2meg across the Board for starter package

Does this mean then that what the current prices are will be dropped to the one below it? I mean 2mb to €40. 3mb to €99 and so on?

Tell me it is and they have me!!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

colin300 wrote:
    Does this mean then that what the current prices are will be dropped to the one below it? I mean 2mb to €40. 3mb to €99 and so on?

Tell me it is and they have me!!!!! ;)

I would imagine it will stay the same I cant see people being very happy with being upgraded to 2mb and then being told it will cost extra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

2Mb uncapped would be my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have changed my mind.. This evening is the first time I have used the service in my new address at this time at night. I am getting the following speeds :(

51.7 kilobytes per second

I never had any probs when on the Belmont mast but now that I am Three Rock, I am obviously mixed in with some downloading whore monkey and its annoying me so much..

Implement QOS and Capping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Same here 42K of Microsoft :(

3rock too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

FFS! I'm stuck on 220kb/s again today. This is getting frustrating. Browsing is noticably slower.

512kb/s should be the lowest the QoS tool should set us to. 220kb on a 2mb line is taking the piss. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd like to point out that i've downloaded less than 300megs in the last few days, and yet i seem to be going quite slow today. I can only say.. wtf? Looks like i'm not the only one severly limited, but if it is the QoS tool, it must be fecked. I was wondering why my feckin streaming video wasn't working. Grr arrgh! If you're going to be limited people, try and remember some legtitmate uses actually do need more than 256kbps... such as 300kbps streaming video.

Your download speed : 215465 bps, or 210 kbps.
    A 26.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 141705 bps, or 138 kbps.

Well this connection has pretty much been unused since it was installed as I have been down the country. There are two others that have access but they wouldnt be considered "downloaders" at all.. They pretty much only browse so I don't know :/

The rates I am getting now is what I was getting when the service was 512k.

Just done a wee test out of curiosity:

Downstream 287 Kbps (35.9 KB/sec)
    Upstream 276 Kbps (34.5 KB/sec)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Downstream 287 Kbps (35.9 KB/sec)
    Upstream 276 Kbps (34.5 KB/sec)

That kinda put people off from signing up now doesnt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The min should be 512 this is a disgrace. 236 i not paying 48 a month for 236. Browsing is so slow cant download anything. Would much prefer to stay at 1mb with no Qos. Thats why i moved and expect to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I fully agree with you there. I was QoS`ed today and was getting 25K down in the after noon, not great at all hardly clasifys as broadband!

I rang the cork office today because 1890 dont know anything. The cork guy gave me a email addy of the head guy in ibb that i should tell what i think of the curent situation and what we want etc :) he said things should get sorted then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Here's what my 2Mbit connection looked like yesterday:

Downstream 41 Kbps (5.1 KB/sec) 44 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 15 Kbps (1.9 KB/sec) 16 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Drove me mad... Along with my latency issues... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mickie M

even though i have yet topass my 16gb cap in a month i'd still go for the 2mb no caps one simply because you never know what's going to come up and i upgraded to broadband so i wouldnt be limited in my internet access.

The min should be 512 this is a disgrace. 236 i not paying 48 a month for 236. Browsing is so slow cant download anything. Would much prefer to stay at 1mb with no Qos. Thats why i moved and expect to get.
    Try paying €85 EUR a month for it... And I wouldn't care paying that for poor download/upload speeds as long as I had proper pings when playing online. But ping is crap also... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

This is a joke,ok my connection isn't the best at the moment but 20.1 KB/sec is hardly BB now is it.

Carrier pidgeon would be quicker !!

I remember a time when we were all on the 1Mbit connection with acceptable download/upload speeds and strong, regular pings... Then QoS and the 2Mbit upgrade happened... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I remember a time when we were all on the 1Mbit connection with acceptable download/upload speeds and strong, regular pings... Then QoS and the 2Mbit upgrade happened... :(

Guys resquest IBB have an engineer call out check your signal and equipment................................................ spooky did this and it was sorted !!

I rang there about that problem today i was well pissed because i needed to download some asap. They said its only a temp things and its just for testing.

Drapper wrote:
    Guys resquest IBB have an engineer call out check your signal and equipment................................................ spooky did this and it was sorted !!

Have someone calling out to me on thurs, this is to try fix an on going problem since the upgrade on the Ballymun mast.

• Advertisement

The last thing I wanna do is put someone off choosing IBB.. The service for the past 6 months has been absolutely brilliant. This is just a blip for me but thought this as good a place as any to post it considering it is likely the QOS causing the problems. Why I have come under the scrutiny of the QOS application is beyond me however. Hopefully it is just testing..

It is strange however, my pings seem to be better than previous even though by download/upload rates are so poor.. i.e. 20ms to jolt.co.uk and 10ms to boards.ie :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I do think they offer the best service out there as well .Though for the 4 months ive had them i had 2 bad months. But this lark of moving the goal posts now is more like the other BB services IBB will fail to stand out if they introduce the QoS system, no matter how fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I do think they offer the best service out there as well .Though for the 4 months ive had them i had 2 bad months. But this lark of moving the goal posts now is more like the other BB services IBB will fail to stand out if they introduce the QoS system, no matter how fast.

I'd agree with this !

2mb uncapped it the best option...........................no QOS as the DL's will get really peed of and go to another BB provider !

And an IBB unistall will cost IBB in the long term !!

DONT BECOME UNPOPULAR YOU MAY LOOSE CUSTOMERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

ok from what i have read today has scared me!! :eek:
    Are the people that have had bad speeds on the testing or is it in general on IBB implementing the QOS and whats this i hear about a cap??? :confused:

The last thing I wanna do is put someone off choosing IBB.. The service for the past 6 months has been absolutely brilliant. This is just a blip for me but thought this as good a place as any to post it considering it is likely the QOS causing the problems. Why I have come under the scrutiny of the QOS application is beyond me however. Hopefully it is just testing...
    Exactly the same for me! Have had IBB for 6 months and been brilliant up to 3 weeks ago. Hopefully it will get back to normal soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

colin300 wrote:
    ok from what i have read today has scared me!! :eek:
    Are the people that have had bad speeds on the testing or is it in general on IBB implementing the QOS and whats this i hear about a cap??? :confused:

In short, from about 8.25am to 6.25pm IBB limit every non business
    connection to 256kb/s.

Outside those times it is "possible" to get the 2Mb service that you
    have paid for.

Shiny wrote:
    In short, from about 8.25am to 6.25pm IBB limit every non business
    connection to 256kb/s.

Outside those times it is "possible" to get the 2Mb service that you
    have paid for.

Got a pm off oldtitan with regards to this.
    The answer is Yes, you will be upped to 2Mb with no caps. But so will everyone else. There are businesses online each day so you will very seldom reach your burst speed during the day as the businesses will be given their increases as well. However, if we do not see too much of an increase in 24/7 down and uploaders given our uncapped service, you should be able to burst to your max speed during the evenings and certainly after about 23h00 when the network starts quieting down.

My Question was will we be upped to 2mb with no cap and no qos so speeds will be normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I don't think limiting people to 256kb/sec for that length of time every day is in ANY isp's best interest. I think the limiting is only for the 24x7 downloaders, and only if it needs to be done.

OldTitan should be able to clarify that.

EDIT: Once again i'm down to 256... maybe they really do plan on limiting everyone to 256kbps during business hours, but that is not good at all. Better to have no upgrade than that happening.

I don't think limiting people to 256kb/sec for that length of time every day is in ANY isp's best interest. I think the limiting is only for the 24x7 downloaders, and only if it needs to be done.

OldTitan should be able to clarify that.

EDIT: Once again i'm down to 256... maybe they really do plan on limiting everyone to 256kbps during business hours, but that is not good at all. Better to have no upgrade than that happening.

You complain about 256KB/sec... I have a "business connection" (only difference being: I pay twice what you pay...) and I'm getting >30KB/sec. I'd be DELIGHTED to get 256KB/sec!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Kilobit per second do you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement