Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Trials - Conclusions:- 2Mb or 3Mb?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I looked at their website today. They've updated their product list.

At €35.99 a month there's Breeze 1MB with 30GB a month download limit.
    At €40 a month there's Breeze 2MB with no download limit mentioned.

Hmmm, I wonder which is the best value? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Stark wrote:
    At €35.99 a month there's Breeze 1MB with 30GB a month download limit.
    Probably includes VAT (residential)
    Stark wrote:
    At €40 a month there's Breeze 2MB with no download limit mentioned.
    Probably excludes VAT (business)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah you're right. That makes sense.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I signed up for uncapped which is one of the main reasons i'm with IBB. I'd go with 2MB or keep 1MB just so I am uncapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

You shouldent get any QoS as you are not on the 2meg trial that only appalies there for now. And i agree id rather 1 meg with no restrictions i rearlly get up the the 2 meg type speeds anway more like an average of 1.5 where as when on a meg i almost always got the meg.

And they don't plan on applying it to everyone when they upgrade everyone's connections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I dont now what their plans are but im on the 2 meg and i get QoS`ed every day after a night of downloading. I uasually shut my PC`s off in the day time anyway when im in work but Im still not liking the the QoS. If the upgrade has hapened as im still paying 48, and im off the trial then the QoS should be gone but its not . Still there today before i left for work. I was only getting 25/25 k up down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I get hit by the QoS tool no matter how much I use my connection. For 2mb its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Currently on 1mb 20:1 and it's usually very good, I would go for 2mb uncapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, looks like i was QoS'ed again. The very first day of 2meg, and i'm QoS'ed to 1/4 of the speed of my old connection. I'm not very happy.

The first thing i did with my new connection, was go download some stuff. And the usage stats for today are shown in the attached picture. From 9am today, til 8pm this evening i was limited to 256/256 ish. As can be seen, up til 9am my speeds were quite fast, not quite 2 meg speeds, but that was because of slow torrents.

Just after 9am speeds plummeted and stayed slow til 8pm, when they miraculously speeded up again.

Can an IBB representitive tell me why i'm being QoS'ed even though that in the week of the 7-14April i only downloaded a total of 1 gig, over the whole week, and uploaded just under that.

Is that considared excessive usage? My only big usage in the last 8 days was from last night til now. Why was i being QoS'ed over the last week or so? Its obviously NOT contention or any other related thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I hear ya mutant i am getting pssed off. Going to be a bitchy phone call if it doesnt get sorted.

• Advertisement

Is everyone actaully upped to 2mb already or whats the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Is everyone actaully upped to 2mb already or whats the craic?

nope. still waiting here in d15, hanging off sector 3 of the ballycoolin mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

im on the same mast as you powerhousedan and u are upgraded??? If this is true i'll be ringing first thing monday

I am on R&H Hall. But i was one of the testers i was under the impression the trail was all over must of just left me there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Currently installing linux. Not that i'd ever use my connection to download linux ISO's :p Thats what people say when they cover up downloading illegal stuff :D

Anywho, its zipping down at a nice steady 230kB/sec, so i'm a happy bunny. Temporarily. If i get throttled again tomorrow, i might be having words with tech support.

Powerhousedan: if you are still being limited tomorrow, could ya let me know. Also, roughly what usage are you putting the connection through? Personally, i don't think 3megs in 24 hours is really worth QoS'ing, but thats what happened to me. They must have me on some sort of list that automatically gets QoS'ed every day regardless of how much i actually use the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

http://www.irishbroadband.com/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

Has anyone else noticed the changes made to the Breeze 1MB product? When I signed up for this a few months ago the contention ratio was 24:1 not 48:1 and there was no download cap!! Is this just for new customers? or has everyone now been switched over to this crap service? because I definately didn't get any email from IBB about this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

http://www.irishbroadband.com/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

Has anyone else noticed the changes made to the Breeze 1MB product? When I signed up for this a few months ago the contention ratio was 24:1 not 48:1 and there was no download cap!! Is this just for new customers? or has everyone now been switched over to this crap service? because I definately didn't get any email from IBB about this :(

well I did not sign a contract with 48:1 did you ? I'm gonna call them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you signed up for the 1Mbps service for €48 then you will be upgraded to the 2Mbps service for free. IBB hasn't stated this officially but it seems to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you signed up for the 1Mbps service for €48 then you will be upgraded to the 2Mbps service for free. IBB hasn't stated this officially but it seems to be the case.

I rang about this and was told I had to fill out yet another set of forms, I also asked did I have to sign up for anothet 12 m onths to get this and the lady was not certain either way.

What speeds do you guys get on the 1m service, mine seems pretty quick at the moment.

Thanks

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I mailed old titan about this:

Wow! We are ahead of ourselves!

I told the sales guys to implement the new pricing for new customers, but the press release had to hold off until the new packages were announced.

I did not know we had announced it already via the web….

We have introduced a new entry level residential package at 1Mb with various caps as we found there to be a reasonable demand at that space and we wanted to test the market. The current 1Mb product at €48.40 is being upgraded to 2Mb with no caps.

Thanks for updating me on our own pricing!!!!

OT

Sent: 15 April 2005 09:42
    To: Jeremy Nel
    Subject: RE: Package changes

Just one more question if it is not happening for approx 3 weeks how come the website states

Description
    Breeze 1MB

Purpose
    Fast Internet access for:-tele working -freeing up the home phone line-unrestricted uploading and downloading. A superior home product suitable for families with high usage and Home Networks.

Competing Products
    Dial up, ISDN, DSL, Leased lines. (dial up / isdn are competing products? Hehe at least ye are honest J ah no I’ve never had any problems with my 1Mb connection never dialup / ISDN speeds anyways)

Symmetrical
    (same speed upstream as down)
    Yes

Download speed
    1024 Kbps

Upload speed
    1024 Kbps

Contention Ratio
    48:1

Line of Sight
    Yes

Download Limit
    30 GB

Installation Required
    Yes

Installation and Connection
    €149 including VAT

Monthly Charge
    €35.99 per month including VAT

Source: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

I’m assuming this is the product replacing the current 1Mb connection.

And current €48.40 1Mb customers are being updraded to *Mb in 3 weeks approx, just found it confusing that the above is stated on the IBB website.

• Advertisement

"unrestricted uploading and downloading."

"Download Limit
    30 GB"

How does that worK?

Not limited to 230 today? no qos?

Shhhh, that might deter people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I mailed old titan about this:

Wow! We are ahead of ourselves!

I told the sales guys to implement the new pricing for new customers, but the press release had to hold off until the new packages were announced.

I did not know we had announced it already via the web….

Will this upgrade happen automatically and why is the contention rate being doubled ? Kinda defeats the purpose of a higher connection speed if you double the contention dont you agree ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

are you people taking your centention ratios into account?

Also, the QoS system should be accross the board. Why disciminate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

as far as i know if you are on a €48.40 1Mb connection we are being upgraded to 2Mb no cap on a 24:1 connection similar to the 2mb business option on the IBB site. This is going to happen in approx 3 weeks.

For new customers signing up now there is a €36 1Mb option 48:1 30Gb limit OR the 2Mb €48.40 no cap 24:1 option. We (current €48.40 paying 1Mb customers) will be upgraded in 3 weeks approx so relax!

Doodee wrote:
    are you people taking your centention ratios into account?

Also, the QoS system should be accross the board. Why disciminate?

The speeds are not the result of our contention ratios. Its is exactly the same limit every day for the past two weeks. If it was contention it speeds would vary.

No business customers use there connection 24/7, so us residential customers are QoS to ensure business customers get decent speeds then we get decent speeds the rest of the time because apparently we only use our connections in the evenings. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Lads this thread is too big and gone off the original topic.

Ill start a new thread regarding IBB upgrading etc.

Chief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement