Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Java3D

Options
  • 09-04-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey, sorry folks but I've searched everywhere for this... I've installed the Java SDK, set my path etc and can get the basic things (like HelloWorld for example) to compile and run...

Then when I install Java3D (into the j2re directory because that's where it says to install it) I can run already compiled classes and view them but I can't compile.

The error I get is that javac isn't a recognised command which I know it is because it's in the sdk folder in my path..

Anyone have any experience installing Java3D and maybe a quick step by step method to installing it (I've tried uninstalling all java and then installing it but that doesn't work) as it's quite important since I'm doing an assignment in it and can only do it while in college unless I get this set up on the laptop.

Cheers

Edit: also tried installing it into the same directory as the SDK and setting the path to the bin folder in the SDK and I just get a whole heap of errors :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

If you're getting an error about javac not being recognised then you need to add the jdk/bin directory to the path.

I haven't used java 3d in quite a while but as far as i can remember you need the native libraries in the bin directory of the runtime, and the jars in the bin/ext directory of the runtime(though you may need them in the jdk/bin/ext for compiling). Also one thing i remember was that the java 3D installer would create a jdk1.4.2 directory if you had 1.5 installed, so if it did do that just move the libraries and jars to the 1.5 folder.

Java 3D is very very slow, Xith 3D is a faster scenegraph based on Java3D, but if you want good performance you'd be better off with LWJGL or JOGL, but Java3D code is far more managable and scenegraphs are far more logical using opengl directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

:( unfortunately I have to use Java3D for college (3D Computer Graphics class) so I'm fairly much stuck with it...

I've got the JDK added to the path and the classpath set and it will recognise javac and compile normal Java applets and the like until I install Java3D runtime and then it decides it won't recognise it anymore :(

Advertisement