Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents who let their kids in cars with no restraint.

Options
  • 09-04-2005 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

am i the only person who feels like exploding when they see kids unrestrained in cars or worse still people with babies in the front seat :eek:
    do the not love their kids or what :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If the passenger is under the age of 17, the driver is liable to be charged the standard for not having their seatbelt fastened. Penalty Points & and On-The-Spot fine.

"do the not love their kids or what"
    Do 20 year olds that don't strap up hate themselves? Kids can be very difficult, in particular on a long journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

if they are difficult then you pull over and demand they belt up.

We simpley have told our kids that the car does not work if thier belts are not
    on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭vixen2005

we have our baby in the back seat but i think thats an unfair comment you said about not loving their kids,
    i agree long journey can be a pain and seat belts are always worn well 99.5% of the time.
    but some kids just are difficult and i agree they should be worn but some times if they fightin and you two minutes from home your shoutin they cryin some would tend to let it go.

you cant judge every one by one act,certainly an important one but they still love their kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tis shocking indeed, nothing worse than a young devoted mother i seen getting on the back of a moped carrying a small baby. I mean wtf was going on in her head.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

some kids just are difficult and i agree they should be worn but some times if they fightin and you two minutes from home your shoutin they cryin some would tend to let it go.

I dont want to offend anyone but some kids are difficult and want to put their hands in the fire do we let that go? its time we recognised what we are "THE PARENTS"!
    i am realistic enough to realise that some kids will try it on but you know as well as i do that some are habitual reoffenders. i find a firm " put it on or we will turn back" works. i am willing to do that regardless of where we are on our journey. im not perfect just not willing to risk their lives never mind a fine.

good one about the car not working without belts on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

they may love themselves but boy are they stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vixen2005 wrote:
    we have our baby in the back seat but i think thats an unfair comment you said about not loving their kids,
    i agree long journey can be a pain and seat belts are always worn well 99.5% of the time.
    but some kids just are difficult and i agree they should be worn but some times if they fightin and you two minutes from home your shoutin they cryin some would tend to let it go.

you cant judge every one by one act,certainly an important one but they still love their kids

Very few people driving around Dublin with Dublin reg cars would be in the middle of what I would consider a long journey. Difficult or not, I reckon it would be a lot more "difficult" for a parent seeing their child spread along a 50 yard stretch of road in front of the car.

The worst I've seen in recent memory was a woman in a convertible Astra (I think, wasnt really paying attention to the car, bit of shock) with two kids, around 8 -10 years old standing or kneeling on the back seat and mesiing on the back of the car.

It should result in instant disqualification like drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

KdjaC wrote:
    Tis shocking indeed, nothing worse than a young devoted mother i seen getting on the back of a moped carrying a small baby. I mean wtf was going on in her head.

kdjac

Please tell me you're joking- I seriously feel like crying after reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ozzie wrote:
    am i the only person who feels like exploding when they see kids unrestrained in cars or worse still people with babies in the front seat :eek:
    do the not love their kids or what :confused:
    True, most would make sure a bottle of Vodka was better restrained if put in the back seat.

Worse still, the ones who leave their kids in the car when they go shopping. Check out the car-parks in Blanchardstown any given Saturday if you don't believe me. Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Worse still, the ones who leave their kids in the car when they go shopping. Check out the car-parks in Blanchardstown any given Saturday if you don't believe me. Shocking.

Thats illegal and classed as neglect and willful harm (not sure on that one) ring police and give reg and parking location, that`ll teach em.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ozzie wrote:
    find a firm " put it on or we will turn back" works. i am willing to do that regardless of where we are on our journey.
    "Put the seatbelt on or we're turning around and not taking you to the dentist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Worst I saw was when there was a Golf in front of me, about 4 kids under 10 years in the back, all with no belt on, but the worst was the kid in the passenger seat, he wasn’t even sitting on the seat:eek:, he was sitting on the arm rest of the door:rolleyes: What made it worse was I don’t even thing the driver could see that well as the windscreen was almost shattered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Kids taken into care and the parents sterilized. That should sort it out.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DonWeNow

Like the original poster, I think parents who allow their children to travel in cars without belts are totally irresponsible. There is absolutely no excuse for them. It has been noted that most car accidents occur within mile of the home so claiming that "I'm only driving to the shop" is facile.
    My kids are adult now and have never ever been allowed travel in a car without their seatbelts. It was never up for negotiation - the car didn't start until everyone was belted up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm strongly thinking about starting to confront parents with unrestrained kids. When I'm stopped at traffic lights, I'm strongly tempted to roll down the window and say to driver something like 'What a beautiful child - do you not love them enough to give them a seatbelt like you have?' - Would this be effective?

And then of course, there are the parents who think it's OK to smoke in the front of the car while the kids are in the back (and of course the car heater is steadily blowing all the smoke from front to back). Jeez- why not just pinch the nose & blow the smoke directly down their throat into the lungs....

I saw a young knacker dad run across a busy rush hour street with his toddler in a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

RainyDay wrote:
    I'm strongly thinking about starting to confront parents with unrestrained kids.

Saw a great one in Coleraine, where I am from, a few years ago. The RUC set up checkpoints near a school at letting out time. Stopped everyone and handed out fines. An uncle of fine got fined. He was outraged. Fcuk him.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

True, most would make sure a bottle of Vodka was better restrained if put in the back seat.

Sad but true......My sister witnessed an accident just outside of Galway last week where the woman had a case of wine secured in the back seat by the seat belt & her five year old son sitting without a belt on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

my daughter gives out to her grandparents if they forget to there's on. i'm very strick on seatbelts with children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

It must be ignorance and/or denial on the drivers* part.
    *It's not always the parent driving the car. How homicidal would you be if you found out someone let your kid in their car unrestrained :eek:

For a hard dose of reality - check out these crash test dummy sled-runs done by GMTV:
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Unrestrained_Child_Facing_Forwards_in-car_view.mpg
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Unrestrained_Child_Facing_Forwards.mpg
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Adult_Facing_Forwards_Holding_Infant.mpg
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Child_Facing_Forwards_ten_years_old_seat.mpg

Perhaps they should be compulsory viewing for all drivers, parents and children.

causal

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is not a racist comment honest, but how do the traveller families get away with having mammy, granny and about five kids piled in and around the front seats of a hiace? Seen it dozens of times and I always think -jeez, if they have an accident...

(My mam and dad loved me, but when we were kids we used to have all of us and most of the neighbours kids in the car, with some in the boot :eek: going to the seaside. The car didnt even have seatbelts! So pot, kettle etc :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

i never let my daughter without her seatbelt and well she knows it too, there is just no reason why a child should not wear it, screaming, crying, whatever, they're alive aren't they?
    about leaving kids in cars, i was walking around cork city one day when i saw a few cops standing around a car ahead, when i was walking past i just glanced in the car window, there was a little boy, roughly 18-24mts old, lying across the back seat, conked!!! it was awful! who would do that??? brought a tear to my eye tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Can we all just chill out a bit about the kids & seatbelts.

Sure it is important to 'belt up'.

But lets not forget that until the last 15 or so years cars did not even have belts in the back. Many of us older fogies spend our entire childhoods in cars with no belts at all.... and we survived !!

Please keep things in perspective.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

out of curiousity could you make a citizens arrest over something like that ?

or mention the magic words "Health and Safety"

dewsbury wrote:

Sure it is important to 'belt up'.

But lets not forget that until the last 15 or so years cars did not even have belts in the back. Many of us older fogies spend our entire childhoods in cars with no belts at all.... and we survived !!

Er... wasn't there also far far far less traffic 'back then' too?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

dewsbury wrote:

Unfortunately the ones that didn't survive can't post here to tell us that we should make a big deal out of it. I remember being in cars as a child with no seat belt but that doesn't mean it was no big deal or that it was fine.

And just cos you survived doesn't mean 'we survived'. Plenty didn't.

Edit: Just saw kernel's post above where he made this point. Woopsy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

dewsbury wrote:
    <snip>
    Perspective!!! :confused:
    I'll post these links again - now look at these from the perspective of the child:

http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Unrestrained_Child_Facing_Forwards_in-car_view.mpg
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Unrestrained_Child_Facing_Forwards.mpg
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Adult_Facing_Forwards_Holding_Infant.mpg
    http://www.britax.co.uk/movies/Britax_GMTV_Check_It_Fits_Child_Facing_Forwards_ten_years_old_seat.mpg

Or maybe a spell with the EMTs or in A&E will put some perspective on it all :rolleyes:

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I still say keep it in perspective ....

Here are some stats from the central statistics office. (There are a little bit out of date and refer to 1999).

Road deaths by age 1999:

Up to 5 years - 7 deaths.
    6 to 9 years - 8 deaths
    18-20 years - 56 deaths
    21-24 years - 45 deaths
    25-38 years - 80 deaths

Hopefully the above stats clarify things. It is not the kids let loose in the back seat that are resulting in fatalities.

Obviously every death is a tragedy but the young kids are the safer ones.

• Advertisement

AArgh! Because parents are more careful than people in their twenties on the road. If one single child dies because it wasn't properly restrained, it is one too many. That's my perspective.

20 yr olds speed and kill themselves, parents are responsible for their children and have to belt them up. There is nothing you can say to make me tolerate it.

Advertisement