Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Firefox for windows cookie help needed

• 09-04-2005 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm not in the right forum. I want to know how to copy cookies from Firefox. I'm running Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041110 Firefox/1.0 on XP.

I need to copy cookies from a website that has my passwords, profile etc and transfer them onto my laptop. I've forgotten the password and the email that I had given was my old work one which is no longer available. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you're using an NT-based version of Windows (NT, 2K, XP), look for a file called cookies.txt in the following location...

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.RANDOM

...where USERNAME is your Windows username, and RANDOM is a random string of characters. If you have more than one Firefox profile, you'll need to figure out which one the cookie is stored in.

In that file you'll need to look for the line that represents the appropriate cookie and (AFTER BACKING UP) copy it across to the corresponding file on the laptop. Firefox should be closed when you're working on the file.

Moz-based browsers can be finicky about cookies, so ymmv. In fact it might not work at all, or even corrupt all your other cookies. So if you're at all unsure of what you're doing, don't do it.

MozillaZine is a much better place to ask questions like this btw.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Thanks Adam I'll give this a go and see what happens.

Advertisement