Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband without Line Rental

• 09-04-2005 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I live in north county Dublin so as far as I am aware there are no wireless BB providers that cover my area (afaik Im way out of range of the ICE mast on the Rath Lane near Swords).

Im moving house soon and will probably change my BB/phone package at the same time. Im currently on IOL BB plus and paying my line rental to Eircom and calls to utvip.

Ideally I would like just a BB line and then use VOIP for my calls. I would love to get rid of my line rental at the same time. I currently pay 39.99 + 25 = €65 a month combined. I would happily go down from 2Mbs to increase the upload speed.

My options I reckon are this :

1. Utv Clicksilver Plus with Talk (sacrificing VOIP for free Talk evening calls , still line rental but at least its to UTV) (Plus free trial for 4 months)

2. A business line package with no line rental and a better upload speed - Any suggestions??? (Im waiting for Esat to get back to me on their business packages)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Did you call IBB about this? You never know.

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/coverage_maps/areas_live.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Are you not in range for IBB at your new house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The new house is in swords - afaik the nearest IBB get is Castleknock! Their presence North of the Liffey is pretty poor afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

tell you what to do PM Old Titan or Wise Man they work for IBB and give them the new address/area and im sure they will get back to you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?userid=39526

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Or you could try NTL (www.ntl.ie). Not as good as IBB but still better than DSL.

Or try and see if you can get Smart Telecom, they give free line rental to their first batch of customers and no caps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok you'll have to get a Eircom line installed and that to start with BUT

- If your able to connect to one of the 40 Esat Business exchanges around the country you can get Business broadband and when you make the order choose the option to get the line UNBUNDLED

When DSL is placed on the line, the line will be converted to data ONLY and you will no longer pay anything to Eircom as they will not be providing any voice services over your phone line

Then get your VoIP service and your flying :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

FYI, there's a parallel discussion about this sort of stuff here. Dunno if it'll be of any use, but what the hell...

adam

Cabaal wrote:
    Ok you'll have to get a Eircom line installed and that to start with BUT

- If your able to connect to one of the 40 Esat Business exchanges around the country you can get Business broadband and when you make the order choose the option to get the line UNBUNDLED

When DSL is placed on the line, the line will be converted to data ONLY and you will no longer pay anything to Eircom as they will not be providing any voice services over your phone line

Then get your VoIP service and your flying :D
    Thats exactly what I want to do.
    There's already an Eircom line at the place.

Adam- The voip thread is what prompted my question - someone on that thread mentioned they had business broadband.

Cabaal - do you have Esat Business broadband? How much does it cost you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Kind of a work around but could you go with smart and get out of the line rental that way?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Adam- The voip thread is what prompted my question - someone on that thread mentioned they had business broadband.

Cabaal - do you have Esat Business broadband? How much does it cost you?

Yep that was me and yes I have Business BB,
    They've changed the prices recently, I was paying 125e per month for 1MB/256K but now I'm paying 45e per month.

Their's a section of the order form that allows you to unbundle your phone line (see screenshot)

esatunbundle4pa.th.png
    Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

As before you must be connected to a Esat Business enabled exchange to do this & generally speaking they only allow business to get the product but this varys depending on who you ask when you phone them ;)

• Advertisement

MarVeL wrote:
    Kind of a work around but could you go with smart and get out of the line rental that way?
    Smart didnt have the Swords exchange on their rollout list last time I checked. :( Otherwise I would have leapt at their offer!!!

Cabaal - thats exactly what I was looking for- cheers!! Now to find out if the Swords exchange is one of the Esat Business Exchanges.

Cabaal - thats exactly what I was looking for- cheers!! Now to find out if the Swords exchange is one of the Esat Business Exchanges.

There's a list of exchanges somewhere but I can never find it,
    Ring Esat on 1800 942 942 and get them to check your line...their opened Mon - Friday, 9am - 5.30pm

Advertisement