Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS2 troubles

• 09-04-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭

My sister inlaw asked me to have a look at her boyfriends PS2,it just comes up read error when any disk i put into it.Its a normal PS2(non-modded).Would a lense cleaner get it going again? Or are new lazers needed.Any help or information id appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well I'd certainly try a lens cleaner first.
    Is it making any strange noises? i.e. clicking noise from lens while trying to read the disc.
    How old is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

This happens to loads of PS2's. Normally its only a certain type of disc it wont read, theres loads of different stories sayin lens cleaners will work and others sayin you'll need a new lens. Search google and no doubt you'll find all the info you need. Would be cheaper to buy a whole new ps2 than a lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Well I'd certainly try a lens cleaner first.
    Is it making any strange noises? i.e. clicking noise from lens while trying to read the disc.
    How old is it?

No clicking noise i can hear,put in original games when browser screen comes up and almost very quickly it says read error.Right ill try a cleaner first.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

This is most likely a failed laser, if the model number of your PS2 starts with 5000xxx, these models had very poor lasers fitted, also the chip that controls the laser (la chip) is most likely also fried, i have had mine fail, and they aint cheap to repair, if its under warranty well then its not too bad!!

cramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I had this on two systems different errors each time

try www.modchipsireland.com he may be able to help also
    try i think this is correct kannection.co.uk for parts to be honest sony will replace the console for 100 euro if you call them they give you a refurb model so unless its chipped it may not be worth the hassle
    I messsed with the laser settings and nearly had it sorted on one of them then the tiny screw fell off whitch was a b*(ch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

The same thing happened to me, i dont reccomend this if istill under guarntee, but, i opened mine and cleaned the lens with a wet cotton but the dried it, my cousin had the same problem and did the same thing and it worked, my uncle also used his air compressor to clean the whole thing, they get FULL of dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

I've been told that a lot of the earlier playstations had a fault that caused this to happen and Sony were replacing them all for free. If its an old playstation then this might be worth checking out, although I've never heard of anyone in Ireland getting this (someone in N. Ireland got a replacement off sony I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

People , people - lets not through the consoles out the window over this . Disk read error is 99.99% fixable without any skills or parts required.
    Just open you ps2 and take the cover off the cd tray . You will see a white cog just north of the laser carriage. Turn it clockwise 5 or 10 clicks. You can also gentle wipe the laser lanse but be careful. If that doesnt do it , turn the whell another few clicks but be careful because if you set it too high the laser lense can come up and hit the disk. It isnt hard to find more info on this - just google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

get lens cleaner kit in pound shops 2 euro ,cheaper than peats or hifi store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

if its the older ie not slim ps2 your best bet is a hammer... then buy a slim 1 hell they're piss cheap now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

www.llama.com has replacement parts for ps2 or they will trade in a banjaxed ps2 for a working one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

My laser is still on but it won't read discs. It makes clickly laser noises. I tried every setting on the control that adjusts laser height. Some seem to be an improvement in that the laser struggles less but it still won't read anything. I also wiped it.

Any ideas what else might be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

u may need to clean it a few times ,with lens cleaning kit,theres shop in talbot st .they fix ps2.consoles, bookexchange on left,up past easons,400 yards toward station.do search,google, ps2 lens cleaning ,adjusting etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

theres a guide on ign how to clean your laser lens...

i was gona buy a new one and get it fitted(expensive) but decided to give this a go(i have no technical skills)

i followed it step by step and it now works like a dream and its a series 3 laser in a modded ps2 lol so it definetly is a good thing to try!!!

Advertisement