Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mama's Boys? Pat Mcmanus?

Options
  • 09-04-2005 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Anyone here like the Mama's Boys? I got their best of, it is very very good!

Pat Mcmanus was playing in our local there last night, probably the 5th or 6th time ive seen him, he is the best guitarist i have ever seen and the nicest person ive ever met in the music scene.

Was talking to him after the show, the have played with Motley Crue, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake...list goes on! PANTERA opened for them! :o

Anyone know where i can get a few Mama's Boys t shirts? Preferably Online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I used to have their debut album on vinyl many years ago.
    It had a great instrumental version of "Summertime" on it.

I saw them live in Lisdoonvarna.I think it was around 1983.

Didnt one of them suffer with cancer,the drummer I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

superconor wrote:
    Anyone here like the Mama's Boys? I got their best of, it is very very good!

Pat Mcmanus was playing in our local there last night, probably the 5th or 6th time ive seen him, he is the best guitarist i have ever seen and the nicest person ive ever met in the music scene.

Was talking to him after the show, the have played with Motley Crue, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake...list goes on! PANTERA opened for them! :o

Anyone know where i can get a few Mama's Boys t shirts? Preferably Online?

er when did Pantera open for them?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pat McManus kicks arse. Great guitarist. Saw his old band the Painkillers here in town not so long ago and they were nothing without him in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Pat didnt say, lol it might have been in the glam days!

He is a legend. A shining example of how you can be from Ireland and still rock hard!

Any leads on the t shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

pat mcmanus is a ****in legend on guitar and he can play the fiddle even better,but enough bout that!he is unbelieveable, a man dat can play music and hav a huge smile on his face puts a smile on everyones face in the venue.last seen him playing with sligo band "Indian" ,dont know if its a permanent move or not, i didnt get to chat to him afterwards.a true gentleman though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Legend indeed.

Was that Pats new band 'Hi-Voltage' that played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

superconor wrote:
    Pat didnt say, lol it might have been in the glam days!

He is a legend. A shining example of how you can be from Ireland and still rock hard!

Any leads on the t shirts?

Just asking because as far as I am aware - Pantera were first brought over to Ireland by Megadeth in 1991/2 and then they headlined in the SFX the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

http://www.indiantheband.com/

pat mcmanus has joined the band according to this....the singer is also very good in this band they could go far....watch this space i guess?!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

If I remember right Pat and John had an outfit called Celtus on the go a few years ago. Celtic rock but not as hard as Mama's Boys. They showed one of their live gigs on Net 2 a few years ago, I think it was in Galway IIRC.

I saw Mama's Boys so may times in the 80's and they never disappointed. Great things were always predicted for them but alas it just didn't happen. Maybe the Horslips influences were just a tad too strong...?

I still have a few vinyls - Plug It In, Turn It On and Growing Up The Hard Way. The latter saw them going for a more commercial sound than they had previously released.

Have to agree though you'd never meet a nicer chap than Pat and boy can he play that axe!!! Absolutely class act. If he's gigging again I'm definitely gonna make a effort to go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

No pantera opened for them in Texas. (But god almighty, pantera and megadeth...sex...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I have to say I was dissapointed the last time I saw Pat McManus. Granted, he is incredible on the guitar and is a super nice person, but the guitar solos and tricks he did were exactly the same as the last time I saw him, about 10 years ago. I was just a bit let down that he's still playing the same stuff, but I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it etc!

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paulmartin

Yeah I seen Pat McManus New Year's Eve and he was incredible. I've been looking for some Mama's Boys stuff but I can't find it. Anyone know any music shops selling the greatest hits?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Saw Pat McManus and "Hi Voltage" in McPhails on Friday night, and as ususal he blew everyone away, with a mind blowing display of guitar. From a beautiful version of Parisienne Walkways, to some stomping Mama's boys stuff, to some instrumental (and experimental) pieces of his own, Pat is a must-see. He must be Ireland's finest guitarist.

Here are some dates, if anyone's interested.

Pat + Hi-Voltage play :-

Frid 29th April - Johnstown Inn - Kildare
    Sat 30th April - Arthurs Bar - Keady
    Sun 1st May - Sibin Inn - Dunshauglin
    Sat 7th May - 7 horse shoes - Belturbet
    Sun 15th May - Dowlings - Nenagh
    Sat 21st May - O'neills - Duleek
    Frid 27th May - Bush Bar - Enniskillen
    Frid 3rd June - Punshestown Inn - Cork
    Sat 4th June - Kilbeggan Arms - Carrigallen
    Sun 5th June - Rory Gallagher Festival - Ballyshannon
    Sat 18th June - Leighinmohr - Ballymena