Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Episode 3 DW

Options
  • 09-04-2005 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Looks like it gonnta be a good one, maybe a bit like "Ghostlight". Anyone planning to watch it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

foxybrowne wrote:
    Looks like it gonnta be a good one, maybe a bit like "Ghostlight". Anyone planning to watch it?

Some of the TV Critics have been raving about it so far. I'm going to be glued...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed it and displayed how the show can adapt to different styles succesfully. Gattiss wrote with less tongue-in-cheek humour but more attention to plot (IMHO) and created a reasonably scary monster. Nice poignant ending too and the Doc meeting his historical figures again :)

Interesting - more stuff on the Time War that destroyed the Time Lords. I'm still assuming it's the Daleks but hoping for the EDA's Enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Wasn't too bad all in all, good story, well paced - few little niggles, but nothing major. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭fibbo

Thought it was great. The Time War looks like its gonna be a pretty major part of the new series. Cant wait to see how it plays out. Its obiousley were the McGann Doc bit the bullet. But how is the Doc the only time lord to survive and waht if this is actually his 13 regeneration as aposed to his ninth. Has it actually been stated anywhere in the new series that its his ninth regeneration. He mentions in the epiosde tonight aswell when rose and the doc are in the celler that he is going to die here in Cardiff. Has the regeneration from McGann to Ellecston been broched in any of the books, and does anyone know why they still havent relesed the titile for one episode . I think its the ninth episode

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Excellent programme. Can't wait for next week's episode. TBH can't wait for the series to be out on DVD!

• Advertisement

Episode 12 is the untitled one. Wonder whats gonna happen in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Very good episode, the atmosphere was very well done, and the conflict of rose and doctor as she comes to terms with his occassionaly cold-heartedness is cool. It's good too that they're getting in competant actors to play the other parts, like that of Dickens. And yeah, notice the Doc's expression when the Time WArs are mentioned - it HAS to be the daleks, if they're plotting this series with newcomers in mind, they're hardly gonna alienate them by introducing some fan fiction elements...

next week's looks even better - can't wait to see Big Ben getting thrashed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Has it actually been stated anywhere in the new series that its his ninth regeneration.

No, but it's been said outside the series that he's the 9th Doctor, so I'd imagine he's the direct successor to McGann.
    Has the regeneration from McGann to Ellecston been broched in any of the books

I don't think so - especially with the series just having begun, any novelist would have had a hard time guessing what the TV writers had in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Interestingly, on BBC 3 later on Saturday night was 'The Mystery of Charles Dickens' starring Simon Callow as Charles Dickens. The Dr Who episode marks the third time Simon Callow has played the same character in different productions.

The teaser was interesting. I wonder if it marks the return of UNIT?

It could all be just some and shadows. But i can't wait to see more of the Time War. I'am not to happy about the quality of some of the special effects though

• Advertisement

fibbo wrote:
    It could all be just some and shadows. But i can't wait to see more of the Time War. I'am not to happy about the quality of some of the special effects though
    That mysterious unnamed 12th episode shouldbe interesting, I suspect it is part of a 2 parter with the last episode, which will run for an hour.

I think the special effects are actually very good, and superior to most american sci-fi effects. They do the job quite nicely.

I think you could be on to some thing there. Id like to see a return to the 3 - 4 episode story arcs. I find it a bit hard to belive that they film for 9 months and only end up with half a seasons worth of episodes.

BuffyBot wrote:
    I don't think so - especially with the series just having begun, any novelist would have had a hard time guessing what the TV writers had in mind.
    Hmm they'd have word in advance. When the 7th-8th Doctor transition came about, Marc Platt's "Lungbarrow" was written to show the 7th Doctor as very old/weary ready to move to his next incarnation. The novelists could easily apply the same ideas to mark the transition from Eccleston to McGann.
    The teaser was interesting. I wonder if it marks the return of UNIT?
    Well I immediately yelled "UNIT is back!" when I saw it. I'm not sure that is UNIT though, given other online sources say they'll be back for Season 2/28. It certainly looks like they should be back. Since it's gonna be set in '05 I'd love to see Brigadier Winifred Bambera from "Battlefield".

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

That mysterious unnamed 12th episode shouldbe interesting, I suspect it is part of a 2 parter with the last episode, which will run for an hour.

Yes it is a two-parter with episode 13, "The Parting Of The Ways", but I think both will be just the regular 45 minutes.

I'm more intrigued by the mysterious episode 11, "Boomtown", about which virtually nothing is known apart from the Doctor supposedly meeting someone he thought long-dead - which could mean it's someone from the old series, someone who dies during this series, or something else entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Saw episode three tonight on BBC3, its dead handy isn't it, and it was decent allright. I don't think the Doctor said he'd die in Caerdyff (Cathair Dubh I think), but rather that he's shocked that its in Caerdyff he might die.
    Young Billie lookin good as usual. The two young girl types she's met so far have died, which is a bit sad, and even worse for her, her thicko fella is making a comeback next week.
    Indeed it looks like UNIT's making a comeback aswell. (anyone else spot Brigadiar Lethbridge-Steward aka Nicholas Courtney in some bank ad recently?)

foxybrowne wrote:
    (anyone else spot Brigadiar Lethbridge-Steward aka Nicholas Courtney in some bank ad recently?)

Well times are hard since I retired....

Well judging by the ad, sandy beaches and cocktails and all, it doesn't seem that you're doing too badly.

Well when one retired from UNIT and went into/didn't go into teaching things were looking a bit grim. I can't remember when I retired due to some confusion as to when I actually worker but ho hum.

Things are looking well now however!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Gavin W wrote:
    Yes it is a two-parter with episode 13, "The Parting Of The Ways", but I think both will be just the regular 45 minutes.

I'm more intrigued by the mysterious episode 11, "Boomtown", about which virtually nothing is known apart from the Doctor supposedly meeting someone he thought long-dead - which could mean it's someone from the old series, someone who dies during this series, or something else entirely.

My guess is its the Master or Davros :)

Venom wrote:
    My guess is its the Master or Davros :)
    I'm assuming the Master but given it's a Dalek 2-parter right after, it would be a good time to reintroduce Davros for the finale...

• Advertisement

I'd love to hear how they explain davros managing to reappear after getting disintegrated in the books...

The books have no relation to the tv series. They are not considered "canon" and won't be referenced in the TV Show at all.

The books have no relation to the tv series. They are not considered "canon" and won't be referenced in the TV Show at all.
    well he's already talked about being the last of the time lords, so sounds to me like they already have...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

well he's already talked about being the last of the time lords, so sounds to me like they already have...

He is the last of the time lords due to them all being dead in the TV series storyline but that dosent mean it has anything to do with the books storyline. Take the books with a pinch of salt like the Star Wars novels on Boba Fett in that while they brough him back from the dead and filled in his past, it is not canon as Lucas says that Boba is dead and the whole AoTC story shows Fetts true past.

I'd generally agree with the books being non-canonical. The only reason I think it could differ this time is that the writers of the new series also wrote some of these books, as would their friends. For that reason I reckon we might get some nods to them. But I suspect they'll be willing to contradict them for the case of the main story.

Exactly, the main thing for Doctor Who should be to write entertaining, educating and challenging television, not to try and get every single fact right.

Well i guess - I must admit i stopped reading the fan fiction cos the amount of backstory that needed reading up on was fairly scary

Well i guess - I must admit i stopped reading the fan fiction cos the amount of backstory that needed reading up on was fairly scary
    I'm seriously struggling. I've a few Past Doctor Adventures to read before I can return to the Eight Doctor Adventures which I've about 20 or so of. I'm going to stop at "The Gallifrey Chronicles" which is the last of the "new" storyline series because it's too difficult to keep up with (and i wanna see what they do with Gallifrey).

Very good episode, the atmosphere was very well done, and the conflict of rose and doctor as she comes to terms with his occassionaly cold-heartedness is cool. It's good too that they're getting in competant actors to play the other parts, like that of Dickens. And yeah, notice the Doc's expression when the Time WArs are mentioned - it HAS to be the daleks, if they're plotting this series with newcomers in mind, they're hardly gonna alienate them by introducing some fan fiction elements...

next week's looks even better - can't wait to see Big Ben getting thrashed :D
    Havent seen next weeks yet which sky plus has actually recorded-thanks cousins for the episode I've just watched.
    Bloody great as usual-thoses zombies did remind me of the return of the living dead part 2-the bit where they get on the radio after eating the brains of the ambulance guys and ask contol to send more paramedics :D
    (I'm drunk)

• Advertisement
Advertisement