Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orals!

Options
  • 09-04-2005 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Ok so the orals are coming up really soon, my french one is on Monday :( , is anyone really starting to freak out? Any advice to calm the nerves or useful phrases?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Can't help with French specifically Im afraid, as I do Spanish, but the most important thing to do in the orals is to KEEP TALKING. Don't do any onesentence answers - if they ask "Do you have any brothers", for example, you shouldn't just say "Yes", you should say "Yes, I have a brother whose name is Rory, he's 22 years old and is studying Science in college. Next year he is going to move to England and I'll miss him loads because we get on really well. We do fight occassionally over things like me borrowing his CDs, but uually he's just like one of my friends. I have a sister as well called Aisling, she's 24 and lives in England with her boyfriend Tom, she's doing a nursing degree. I only see her every few months because she doesn't get much time off, but I will be visiting her in the summer..." etc etc (obviously you wouldn't say exactly that because that's my family, but you get what I mean) The more you talk the less likely it is that they'll ask you an awkward question about something that you haven't prepared. However, they'll probably interrupt you after a time and ask you a related question - for example, if I was saying in the exam what I just typed out, the examiner might interrupt and ask "What else will you be doing this summer" so look out for that. Be aware of things that they could lead on to. During my mock Spanish oral, the examiner asked me about what I'd done at the weekend - I stupidly mentioned that I'd gone to the gym, and she began asking me about that. I had absolutely no idea what to say because I didn't know any of the vocabulary - but it means I sure have an answer prepared now!
    Don't stress too much about the orals. The examiner is trying to give you as good marks as possible, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Just remember to keep talking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I could give u hundreds of phrases but your probably better off sticking to learning and practicing what you know now. Don't be nervous. I've done 2 mock orals and I was extremely nervous in both of them and unfortunately it shows in your results so just calm down. The fact that your on Monday is a good thing, the examiner will be fresh and genuinely interested in what your saying and won't be sick to death of listening to a hundred idiots repeat the smae phrases and make the same mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Simi wrote:
    The fact that your on Monday is a good thing, the examiner will be fresh and genuinely interested in what your saying and won't be sick to death of listening to a hundred idiots repeat the smae phrases and make the same mistakes.

Well mine is at 2:45 so she might be fed up by then, I get so nervous though I nearly ran out the door before my french one only some stopped me. I also ended up crying in my Irish one, it was so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Don't worry i'll be just as nervous as you!!I'm really bad at public speaking, even speaking in class is a trouble for me, feeling the heat rise in my face!!!
    I'm gonna totally blank, im fairly ok for french i know my stuff now but ive a fear that when she asks me a question that i know i'll blank or else mutter on bout something i dnt know and back myself into a corner!!
    Out of interest for french do we have to know about drugs, alcohol, terrorism, vandalism and subjects like that, or is it is more concerned about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 CoffeeFreak

Out of interest for french do we have to know about drugs, alcohol, terrorism, vandalism and subjects like that, or is it is more concerned about yourself?

They are mostly interested about yourself and your interests, they're not gonna ask you a question on something like social problems unless you're doing really well, and even if you tell them you have no info on that topic they can't take any marks off you. It's not like Irish where they could ask you anything...

• Advertisement

Well I think it kinda depends on what you say, I'm covering aswell (a little bit) things like the Luas, the new Dundrum shopping centre and the Pope, just in case I get myself into talking about current affairs or something, but I'm not learning any politics (I'm just gonna say 'Je ne m'intéresse pas à
    la politique') that's if I understand the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

i'm FIRST on monday with irish!! i get really freaked out and nervy in orals for some reason and just clam up normally i cant stop chatting! i'm very scared about going first but at least i'll be able to watch the oc mon night guilt free!!
    i plan to take a lot of bachs rescue remedy before it and keep chatting as much as i can even if i sound like a weirdo coz i'll never see them again right? i have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Scraggs wrote:
    the oc mon night

Yay another OC fan!!Its the only thing that makes me look forward to Mondays!!
    Im on Thurs or Friday i think. im gonna totally mess it up.
    Thats a relief about the french cos our teacher wasn't saying anything to us all along.I'll prob learn drugs and alcohol......to be on the safe side!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

When I did my LC oral last year (French), I tried to make a good impression from the start.

Go in and shake their hand and say 'Comment allez-vous?' They will probably ask you how you are. I wouldnt recommend saying your nervous or anything like that, just say 'Je vais bien, merci' or 'Tres bien, merci'.

They'll probably ask you your name, so I recommend making up a nickname(un sobriquet) if you dont have one already. eg 'Comment vous appelez-vous/Comment tu t'appelles?' answer eg. 'Je m'appelle Steven mais j'ai un sobriquet, c'est Steve.'

This little routine should break the ice a bit.
    I wouldnt advise using an abstract nickname as they might ask you how you got it.

Also you have to steer the conversation in the direction you want. I would recommend learning some phrases about the pope. They are sure to ask you what you are going to do for the summer or what plans you have after the LC. say something like 'J'irai à Rome pendant deux semaines pour aller à la cité du Vatican . Je voudrais prier(pray) pour le pape(the pope).' then *stop* and literally wait for a question on the pope. ie 'Que-ce que tu a pensais du pape/Vous avez aimais le pape?' answer something like 'Oui, il etait un homme magnifique. Il a beaucoup fait pour aider les pauvres(the poor) et il etait contre(against) le communisme en Pologne(poland). .....then finish off with a sentence like....Je l'ai beaucoup admirais.(i admired him a lot)

hope this helps....remember...1st impressions.... ;)

I had my French oral today, it went better than I expected but not too good. First of all the examiner was nice, but stared so much. I ended up getting asked about babysitting cos I had mentioned it and I thought this is good so I was talking away and then she asked me this question that I didn't understand at all about the kids and I was like wtf so I said 'pardon madame' she said the same sentence again, I said 'pardon' again and she still said the same thing so I just said 'Je ne sais pas'. I didn't get asked about terrorism, the pope, the tsunami or those kind of topics (all though others did), instead she liked going into topics in detail.

I mentioned that I wanted to be an engineer and I was talking away about why and so on, then she asked me what do I think of the architecture in Dublin, something I hadn't prepared but I managed to get something out.

I have three brothers and she asked me what the benefit was of being the only girl. (something I hadn't prepared)

The hardest thing I found from the whole oral was understanding the questions. Also trying to think of an answer in English let alone in French.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Isabella

Does anybody have anything on (French) terrorism, the environement, the tsunami, vandalism or unemployment that they'd like to share? I'm looking at you in particular, Intel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭badrobot

Skoool.ie has a guide on most of the abstract topics that could come up, but nothing on the pope or tsunami.

Skoool.ie French Oral Guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 the vivster

have ye done yer irish yet? i went to bruce college for 5 years and had the same teacher all the wat up so i have some excellent notes hear if ye still need them ... just let me no k and ye'll be fine as was said just DONT go blank and dont give them the chance to ask u stuff if u go in give them as much info as u can but he trick is not to seem like u have it learnt of its ment to be a nomal conforsation ok the examiner is only human to and if he/she thinks your nervous they WILL NOT ask u any abstract questions they'll stick to the basic wat age are u , wat u want to do after school how many points do u need ect. ye'll be fine they make u feel so relaxed and comfortable k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya you`l have a blast trust me peace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Isabella

Oh yeah if you have notes, vivster they would be much appreciated. Please do share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Check out this http://www.skool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=464
    Pretty much everything you will need to know for the orals i think. Just once you're pretty good at coming up with stuff that you havn't learnt off but these notes cover practically everything i find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 the vivster

ISABELLA ... which do u need french r irish pass or honours?

Advertisement