Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators

Options
  • 09-04-2005 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    As a newbie [going on 4 days now] i think the way in which modarators ban members is some what unfair. Why is one person allowed to be soley resonsible for this and not have to justifey it to anyone. I was banned on my first day. I wont name the forum i dont play tit for tat. For asking a question about a topic on a closed tread. I personlly feel this to be grossley unfair and was for all intents and purpose told i could like it or lump it for all the moderator cares. I can understand if the post had been deflametery or melicous but it wasnt. It all reminds me a bit of the village shop in the leaugue of gentlemen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Things will be different when I'm a moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭fibbo

I Sincerley hope so. Its seems some boards here are just a cosey cartel for THE SUPERFRIENDS

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Fibbo banned from Stargate, Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual, and Film Awards. Because.

Fibbo - did you break charter rules? Did you spam? Did you not post in the appropriate forum? Launching an all out attack on moderators is hardly the best approach at this point is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Maybe you're suffering from a bit of culture shock. A good tip is to read a few of the biki (www.boards.ie/wiki) articles, read all the stickies in the newbies/FAQ section, and generally just hover about quietly to see how things go before posting.

Accusing boards of being a big clique doesn't go down well, irrespective of whether or not it is true.

It isn't kosher to start a new thread asking questions about what has transpired on a closed thread, either. Generally, the threads were closed for a good reason, and if you have a pertinent question you should PM the mod.

Spamming is a cardinal sin.

No. It wasnt a all out attack. Altough it may apper like that just certain Moderators. I would prefer not to name the forum because as i said i dont like tit for tat

• Advertisement

I didnt questrion why the tread was locked or even comment on it. I asked about a Individual who the Modertor brought up and spoke glowingly about. I know iam new and perhaps dont know all the etiguitte but as i said i find it grossley unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Naming the forum isn't 'tit for tat'. It enables other users to examine said posts and offer their opinion as to whether it was deserved. I really don't think the mod is going to mind, in fact I'm pretty sure they'd post and give their reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

tit for tat doesn't really matter. you got banned for breaking some rule or another, nobody here hates you (yet anyway) and it's not the end of the world. Learn from your mistakes and don't do it again.

If you really want to find the intricate reasons for your banning, try searching this forum for posts made by pretty much every other newbie who has ever been banned. Most people are just sick of explaining it at this stage.

Okay it was on Outdoor pursuits. My Tread has been deleted i merely asked had anyone ever gone on a expidition with Pat Flavin. If anyone can explain to me how this justifies a Ban id love to now. Id also like to pont out that I dont belive that everyone hates my. I just found the banning unfair and the moerator rude and unjustfied. But out of fairness the did give me the link to this tread for all the good posting here will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Its seems some boards here are just a cosey cartel for THE SUPERFRIENDS

Loving the attitude...that's the way to make friends and influence people..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I hate you... you and your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You are allowed name the forum/s. Nowt wrong with that here. Just expect to have your laundry shown to public.

Also seeing as you are new I recommend reading the newbies forum but here are some pointers.

- Read the charter in the forum.
    - Some forums have stupid rules (to the reader) but you have to abide by them. They are there for a reason.
    - Some forums are communities and some are public forums. There are differences in these and how the rules work.
    - Moderators answer to admins. If you think you were treated unfairly contact an admin or post your actual grievance here.
    - If an admin banned you, your SOOL.

Now if you excuse me I have to get back to my superfriends.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Loving the attitude...that's the way to make friends and influence people..

It just the impression i got, and hobbes i got nothing to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Never said you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

stfu u n00b.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Coming on here and posting stuff like this.......
    would Solidarty666, whos moinker pretty much sums up the mentality of boarders[ were a bit mad arnt we adolesents] like to rebuke and explain how skate boarding in more extreme then say Formation sky diving

about other members is not a good way to make a good first impression. Niether is starting God knows how many threads.

Winters wrote:
    stfu u n00b.

;)

Cheers, Dont think i want to have anymore to do with this site. Not the friendlist of places. As for the Skate boaring stuff. I must apologise i was just a little irate about this whole mod thing. Sorry hobbs if i seemed aggrasive. I only ment that i dont mind disscusing the issue in the open as i feel i have little to hide. But thats preety much irrelevent now. You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It's pointless to fight da power! :p

Thought id post the tread that got me barred just to show how ridiculas my banning from Outdoor puursits is

fibbo

Friends | FOAF Pat Flavin

Saw in one ofhe treads down below about Pat Flaven has anyone evergone away with him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Infini wrote:
    It's pointless to fight da power! :p
    but quite funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Could you not have just asked in the thread already about Pat Flavin? Maybe the question had already been answerd.

As a matter of interest did you PM the mod before you started the thread here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If you come here and get a thread locked, you have done something wrong. Remember you are new here, we're not. We know the rules inside out, you do not.

Having an attitude and complaining about how things are run after only being here 4 days isn't the way to go around things.

Nobody forced you to sign up. If you don't like it, leave.

The site has survived and grown for long enough to know that the system works.

To answer your question, your thread was locked because you decided to make a duplicate thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yeah!!! moderaters suck! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

AlcoholicA wrote:
    yeah!!! moderaters suck! :rolleyes:

BANNED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Giblet wrote:
    BANNED!

but.....but......its my first day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome Cheers

You might have missed the smiley in Winters post.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Someone ban fibbo from the Feedback forum.. now that would be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Moderators generally do justify their bannings to their peers. Any abuses of power are generally questioned, especially if the poster in question protests in a responsible manner. However, calling Boards a haven for moderators and their superfriends isn't an example of this, and the people who give their hard-earned money and free time to support this project generally wont invest any time in helping people who throw their toys out of the pram after 20 posts.

Accept Boards for what it is - a place on the net where all sorts of sh*t goes on. Deal with it.

Arabel wrote:
    Could you not have just asked in the thread already about Pat Flavin? Maybe the question had already been answerd.

As a matter of interest did you PM the mod before you started the thread here?

There was a small reference to pat Flavin in a locked tread regading the actic. I simply posted the tread asking about him and got the banned first post first day. The mod pm me and informed me that this was my only recouse. I dont know what rule i ve broken. Giblet since you are so exsperianceed and know the rules so well maybe you could point out to me which one i have broken. How was it a duplicate tread. I may be new but i dont like being Patronised have you actullly read tread iam referring to.

Mr Angrey
    Moderators generally do justify their bannings to their peers. Any abuses of power are generally questioned, especially if the poster in question protests in a responsible manner. However, calling Boards a haven for moderators and their superfriends isn't an example of this, and the people who give their hard-earned money and free time to support this project generally wont invest any time in helping people who throw their toys out of the pram after 20 posts.

Accept Boards for what it is - a place on the net where all sorts of sh*t goes on. Deal with it.

Your right Mr Angrey I was wrong to say that im just P****ed in the way ive been treated thus far. But in all honsty before i do go can you resonable Justify mt banning from the tread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, there are plenty of Boards users out there who have had more than one banning in their time. Hell, even some of the moderators are regularly banned from other forums. Your best bet is to keep a low profile for a while, and play nice.

If you're really good, you may one day go on to become the next Bubbles.

Advertisement