Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Question about sharing BB for 2 PC's

• 09-04-2005 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Okay,

The Modem that you get with the Eircom Home Starter pack is being sent out to me this week (my line has been activated unknown to me since January) and I should have it by next week.

Now once I get it I want to be able to use it straightaway so I just want to clear up a few uncertainties I have...

Im planning on sharing the broaband between 2 PC's. But beause I havent much time of my hand I just want to network the two using the most half arsed way possible... therefore I ask, is it possible to network the two PC's via the single Eircom Modem? (i.e: 1 PC connected by USB, other connected by 50ft CAT5e). If that won't network the two PC's will I at least be able to utilise the Broadband on both PC's using that set-up?

It mightnt be an ideal set-up, especially considering Im a gamer and the other PC's internet usage will affect the ingame performance but I suppose I could always install NetLimiter on one or both of the machines...

Also I havent been given any username or password to use, I've heard that eircom dont use usernames and passwords but I would like to know, because I had one on IOLBB.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

By far the easiest way to do this is to setup a computer network.

This depends on what sort of equipment Eircom give you. Some modems are actually routers that have 4 ports. Just put a network card in both computers and connect them stright to the modem, using ethernet and setup DHCP on each computer. It shouldn't take more then 10 minutes.

If the Eircom modem has only one ethernet connection, then just buy a switch (I recently bought a 8 port switch from Komplett for €18) and connect the modem and your 2 computers to the switch.

Either of the above options are much easier then what you described and would perform better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

(i.e: 1 PC connected by USB, other connected by 50ft CAT5e).

Simply, yes. I have mine working like that and have had for numerous months now.

Advertisement