Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell?

• 09-04-2005 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

I was just in tesco`s , not my usual tesco now buying drink get to the counter bla bla , have you got id , yea sure heres a passport , no we cant serve you , they aparently only accent National age card , ?
    What the hell is that about , passports are valid id in pubs , clubs and even leaving the country but not to buy some drink down in tesco`s , damn my teenage looks :) but why cant they accept drivers licence or passport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

should have just looked for the manager.
    national id card, passport and drivers licence are all offical forms of id. should be no problem.
    just unlucky enough to have moran behind the till

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

same with dunnes....

its dunnes and presumably's tesco's policy not too accept driving liscenses/passports as I.D'S, from what ive heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I was in tesco last week in poleberry waterford and this annoying woman asked me for i.d. When I asked her what the age was she said 25. I laughed for a few minutes and asked her did they have that in writing somewhere. She told me not to get smart with her. I'm 24, I caught this woman in what must be a lie so she served me in the end without even looking at the id when i took it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yea it was tescos Ardkeen, I normally get served in poleberry with a little oh i shouldnt really take a drivers license comment , yea it was a supervisor that came over in Ardkeen , it kinda drove me mad , I had valid id like but no go , age card or nothing .Is this a scam to force peolpe into applying for and waiting 6 weeks to get one .Ah fade to black 25 is illegal she was bulling ya , did you get the drink in the end ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Superquinn have a minimum age of 21. I distinctly remember seeing a sign that cited "If you're lucky enough to look under 21, please provide some ID when purchasing alcohol" or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

Yea but i am 21 , I have valid id , whats the story like ??There a friggin supermarket not the CIA all i wanted was some drink.

That was in response to:
    "Ah fade to black 25 is illegal she was bulling ya , did you get the drink in the end ??"

I know the feeling. I'm 17 (got served no ID in the Olympia bar pre performance anyways!)

I think SuperQ insist on 21, because some underagers are capable of looking 18 or 19, but what underager looks 21?

ou sorry snapscan , yea its ridiculous though because i thought you could buy drink as soon as you hit 18 so long as you had some valid id , are superquinn allowed to have that rule ?Its sort of ridiculous 18 means bring on the drink like , it just makes me mad.

I really don't know if they can legally do it.

Remember though, they are making an invitation to treat, not an offer. You cannot insist on them selling it to you.

Then again that kind of goes against the whole "yer a traveller, get outta my pub" backlash.

oh my god do you do business studies snapscan ?I remember doing that and then again in law in college that whole invitation to treat thing.

but no my real trouble is that i have valid id and tescos would`nt give me drink its sort of stupid that they claim to only accept age card you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Oh i got served alright. My girlfriend is 25 but looks quite young and that's probably why she asked. It was obvious that she was just trying to lie herself out of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Superquinn have a minimum age of 21. I distinctly remember seeing a sign that cited "If you're lucky enough to look under 21, please provide some ID when purchasing alcohol" or something along those lines.

Eh what? :D read it again... the min age is NOT 21, that never even crossed my mind when i read that sign. It simply says that if you LOOK younger, be prepared to be asked for ID.

I dont think i look old for 25 as such but i never get asked for ID buying drink. Have been getting in to some places as its policy most places these days.

But legally how do tesco`s stand on this rule does anybody know ??
    Like i had to get a form for my passport and drivers license signed by the guards , theres a photo of me on it and im 21 , so why wont they give me drink unless i have an age card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I had a similar experience in Tesco (Douglas, Cork) about a year ago. The muppet didn't want to take a drivers licence saying that only the National ID Card would be acceptable but she grudgingly accepted the drivers licence after I pointed out that it was government issued ID. Bloody muppets. I was 22 at the time and its not liked I even looked under 20.

It is so frustrating , is there anybody i could contact to get a legal status on this , any ombudsman or anything >Im still confused and annoyed and want an official answer on why the id which is accepted in every pub and club and airport in ireland is not good enough for tescos to serve me drink.

I suppose the office of the director of consumer affairs would handle this sort of messing.

@Saruman - It was something along those lines, but it meant that you had to be 21

And yes, I do business studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Burn down the store, free the checkout girls and store-boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I had a problem like this in supervalu in the town my parents lived in. I was 20 and was told it was 21's (I was about 3 weeks off 21).

I was buying a bottle of wine and the girl was having none of it.

That night she came into the bar I worked in with her boyfriend (who I knew as a regular) and a group of her work friends. I told the other staff not to serve her and initially refused her service, eventually just makingher wait til last everytime she came to the bar. In the end she came up and apologised (saying she had had a bad day) and offered to buy me a drink. I was pretty sure the only reason she did this is because she knew she wouldn't be able to drink in the bar as long as I was a shift manager there.

I reckon half the time its just people being obnoxious and power tripping. Sure thats what motivated me to give her hassle in the bar, but to be fair, publicans tend to much more accountable than off licence staff, yest publicans, for the most part are far more civil and resonable about it.

Its all just poor training at the end of the day.

I am going to send a letter to the office od the director of consumer affairs , I`ll look up there address in the afternoon , because its absolutely ridiculous and the only valid reason they give is we only accept age cards .And if it turns out they are in the wrong im going straight down there with the letter andhaving it out with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Same thing happened to me in a Tesco a few months back, Old Yeller. I'm sure I ranted about it on AH at the time! I had a passport stating I'm 24, I protested etc but no luck. I was buying a whole load of groceries at the same time as the drink and I refused to buy them at all then and just left them on the counter and left. I still bear a little grudge towards Tesco that surfaces every time I see one of their ads or stores. Just as well they're one of the worst supermarket chains as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Before you go writing a letter just ring the consumer hotline number and get advice on where you stand. Don't have it on me. Try the government's oasis site.

I just emailed the office of the director of consumer affairs to see what the craic is .

Best of luck OLDYELLAR. Lets sell the story to The Sun also, and buy a vodka factory

probably give me some oh its shop policy bullsh*t.

Got my email back from the director of consimer affairs , this matter is outside their power as shops are entitled to their own policies , further advice can be sought from a solicitor , how helpful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Went though this as well.....It was extremely embarrassing.

Always getting asked for ID going in to Pubs also.
    Getting sick of bringing out my driving licence / passport so applied for a garda card....The Guard started laughing at me for getting a card at "my age"

I’m only 24 for Christ sake....

Applied for it 6 weeks ago and still waiting!

Oh my god thats the exact same as me
    went into a pub one night an the guy goes have you 18 I was like yea an he goes id say im not far wrong here , Im 21 like so i take it out an hes like oh right I am wrong 21 jesus.

Bloody annoying and so embaressing getting refused in tescos , !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

On top of thick dunnes, p*ssy tescos and every pub along the South asking for two kinds iID when I want drink, Stupid b*stard Spar in Rosslare Strand wouldn't sell me a lotto ticket. A LOTTO ticket. For f*cks sake, I was 21 at the time!! Back in the good old days when it was lamberts they'd give ya anything. Stupid chain stores.
    :mad:
    It really angried my blood after me walking the length of the village for a bloody lotto ticket, I mean if I had been underage, and had picked the winning numbers I wouldn't have been able to claim it so what the f*ck was the problem ARG! Never shopped there since, they can go f*ck themselves.

By the way Old Yellar I think tesco can get away with only takin age card if they have a sign up on the door.

The sign says garda id I checked today , I do remember getting the garda to sign for my passport , so tesco are bol*x!!

Oh my god they refused a lotto ticket what the hell!!Thats so bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I know bullsh*t! Yer wan just mustn't've liked the head on me. But sure ah well.

Advertisement