Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK, my networking options

Options
  • 09-04-2005 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to link 2 computers, 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs, here are my options:

A) I get a 50ft LAN cable and connect the downstairs comp to a router upstairs or vice versa. Only problem is, can you get 50ft cable, and will it work?

OR

B) I get a wireless hub and 2 USB dongles. Only thing is, they cost tonnes.

And with both, I want to be able to use my broadband on either computer whether the other computer is on or not. It is a USB ADSL modem.

Which would be the best one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well with a USB ADSL modem u will need the machine its plugged into to be on for the internet to work for either one, are u sure its not a usb/ethernet modem/router jobbie that they are handing out mostly now?

you can use a 50ft cable, cat5 is good up to 100m or so.

and u can use 2 usb dongles without the hub in ad-hoc mode

if you have the router with an ethernet connection i'd suggest a switch and plug all 3 devices into it (using the 50ft cable to connect the 3rd machine)

though failing that maybe buying a wireless router/adsl modem might be the best option, u'll need the 2 usb dongles but then u've freedom about where u can connect in the dsl/where the pc's are in the house

Advertisement