Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Mania on UTV

Options
  • 09-04-2005 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Just finished watching that Queen Mania program that was broadcasted tonight on UTV. Basically, a load of "celebrities" got together and acted out Queen songs for an hour an a bit in an attempt to pay tribute to the band, and I have to say, it was one of the WORST things i have ever seen :mad:

First and foremost, the performances were disasterous. There was one performance, the song being "Too Much Love Can Kill You" (which isnt even an original Queen song anyway) and the piano was just brutal, the words were mimed or really badly timed and at one stage it was quite obvious the girl was f**kin up big style when she couldnt remember the words!

Queen was referred to as a current stadium act, despite the fact that the band hadnt been on tour since 1986 (I know that they've started their tour this week with Paul Rogers, please dont bother pointing that out, because we are talking here in the past tense about Queen with Freddie Mercury and John Deacon as well as Brian May and Roger Taylor) and when describing Freddies death, there was a certain comical approach taken.

It is quite obvious that the recent May/Taylor/Rogers tour has sold out the UK and some bright spark at the television company got the idea and figured he'd plug it and see how many people would buy it, and its great to see Queens music inspiring anyone and everyone, but the real performers of that music should be the talented musicians who grew up listening to it, like Axl Rose, Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie, Annie Lennox, Slash, Joe Elliot, Metallica and so forth - basically the contingent of bands present at his 92 tribute concert, NOT a bunch of Pop stars who couldnt sing his owns to save their life.

As Vivian Campell of Def Leppard once said, there are two ways of doing a cover version. You either totally re-model the song to fit your style and present a fresh and original idea, while at the same time keeping the original vocals and tune, or you just re-copy the original note and beat perfect. They did neither, quite frankly, they f**ked up! And as a Queen fan, I think its a disgrace!

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

It was a nice idea that didnt work out to well.

Toyah Wilcox was absolutley terrible and I didnt think much of G4 either.
    Queen are/were a fantastic band, if they wanted to pay tribute to them they should have just shown Queen in concert or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

G4 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

G4 should be shot for attempting bohemian rhapsody , bloody tossers !!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Arabel wrote:
    Toyah Wilcox was absolutely terrible and I didnt think much of G4 either.

Frankly, Toyah is (and always has been) bereft of any talent whatsoever. Her "performance" was embarrassing, she just can't carry a note at all.

I didn't see the entire show, but from what I did see, it came across as totally cringeworthy.

Freddie is dead (and by extension so are Queen), and should be left in the ground. But, of course when there is a few more quid left to be squeezed out of the corpse, no-one seems too bothered about digging up those bones and giving them another rattle.

Advertisement