Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banjos

Options
  • 10-04-2005 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I want to start learning the banjo, but am confused as to whether buy a 4 or 5 string variant.

I want to play both Irish trad & bluegrass/blues. Now, I know 4 strings are suited to the former whilst 5 strings are used in the latter, and I was wondering what my best bet would be.

If I were to buy a 5 string, are the 4 strings tuned the same as the regular tuning on a 4 string? Can I play 4 string trad just using 4 of the 5 strings?

If I had to pick I'd obviously choose trad over bluegrass, so am I looking up the wrong avenue and should I just buy a 4 string and learn that first?

Thank you,

Confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

hmmm best bet is to buy both, it would save you hastle.

As for tuning a 5 string banjo to give the sound of a 4 string one I suppose it could be done. i've seen it done with a guitar. but it would be a bit awkward tuning it back to five string configuration and i imagine it wouldnt be good for either the tuning pegs or the strings.

Im not very familiar with tuning a five string banjo so i had to google, there are 125 acceptable ways to tune a five string. the internet said so, so it must be true

http://zeppmusic.com/banjo/

A four string banjo is tuned the same way as a fiddle is G,D,A,E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh, I'm leaning towards buying a 4 string tenor first and progressing from there

EDIT: Actually you've got me thinking, how do I tune my guitar strings to a banjo tuning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just tune the four lowenst strings to that of a banjo. G, D, A,E it doesnt sound right at all but it will get a tune out of it.

Advertisement