Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whose seen Carl Cox and are you going to g see him?

• 10-04-2005 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

All my friends know this guy except for me, and said he was good/really good.
    Have any of you seen him live etc... and are you going to red box to go see him?

thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭zafa

ive seen him 9 or 10 times at this stage, he has a tendancy to be poor in the redbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I watched him at Sonar for 30 minutes a couple of years back and thought he was pretty boring.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Saw him only once back in '96 when he played alongside Orbital in the Point. He was brilliant that night but thats nine years ago!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

saw him in the redbox about 2 years ago and was very dissapointed. he has this legendary status and I thought he was average at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I seen him many moons ago in the sfx and he was awful.Thank god pressure came on after him and outshone him or it would have been a bad night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

well he still in 6th position, means something no?

http://www.thedjlist.com/

Hope it'll be a good night there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭zafa

Subc wrote:
    well he still in 6th position, means something no?

http://www.thedjlist.com/

Hope it'll be a good night there

no

means absolutely nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

carl cox is a deadly mixer, but the music he plays lacks depth in my opinion. seen him in ibiza last summer and was quite disappointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

yeh seen him at the opening of space last summer, he was good but very housey :( hes good at mixing but used to play so much better stuff!!
    Dont know if ill go to see him, probably end up goin in the end tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

He is still the don daddy of DJ`s though worldwide..ive seen Coxy probably 15 to 20 times since 1993 where he played old skool hardcore :D to Techno sets to funky house sets the lot and honestly in all those times maybe just once he might have been slightly off (or maybe i was too off my head :D ) Coxy deserves his legendary status,i havent seen him in a number of years as i dont bother to go go raving thesedays but by all accounts he`s still rocking it worldwide......... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hoori

No doubt that Carl cox is Skilled but the fact is he has not progressed. there was a point in time where he was probably the best but as mentioned in previous posts that was around the early/mid 90's(who will ever forget "fact"). I'd say a large part of the crowd that will be there to see him will be there for the nostalga buzz
    a bit of a risk, not 100% quality night guaranteed but if you havent seen him then you should go and make your own mind up. Is that on the fence enough for you

hoori wrote:
    No doubt that Carl cox is Skilled but the fact is he has not progressed. there was a point in time where he was probably the best but as mentioned in previous posts that was around the early/mid 90's(who will ever forget "fact"). I'd say a large part of the crowd that will be there to see him will be there for the nostalga buzz
    a bit of a risk, not 100% quality night guaranteed but if you havent seen him then you should go and make your own mind up. Is that on the fence enough for you

I would dispute that he hasnt progreessed as you put it,he`s probably progressed as much if not more than any other top DJ on the scene,he has his own fully fledged studio,has a couple of albums to his credit,has played in just about every country on earth and is in reality the DJ everybody still wants,i heard before his agent had to stop taking bookings cos they were over a year ahead..he`s still at the top of his game but there will come a time when he`ll retire and just play the odd gig...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hoori

Just not true, listen to modern techno, Adam beyer, Anthony Rother,vitalic,speedy j, sven vath, even dave the drummer. Techno does not sound like carl cox any more
    listen to his recent stuff like "give me your love" and listen to his stuff from the early 90's, "the latin theme" sounds very alike. Of coarse Carl cox is booked out for the next year. he's a big name, that means nothing.
    As for doing stuff, look at DJ hell, he has his own label with so many good acts signed, club nights and he is still out there doing new stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 smirno

Subc wrote:
    All my friends know this guy except for me, and said he was good/really good.
    Have any of you seen him live etc... and are you going to red box to go see him?

thanx

Carl is really good, Seen him at creamfields & dance valley 2004 and he was great! Go see him if you can!

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Why r u all so suprised that he is ****e.

All he is - is a guy playing some cds/records. Not talent in that. Go see a live gig. That's where all the magic happens. Even a ****e band is better than a good dj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

Drummer wrote:

All he is - is a guy playing some cds/records. Not talent in that. Go see a live gig. That's where all the magic happens. Even a ****e band is better than a good dj.

makes no sense, don't come in here if you don't like techno/trance, djs etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Haha You Should Go To Eamonn Dorans Or Tbmc Some Night & Back That Up!!
    The Amount Of ****e Bands Ive Seen In There.....
    A Good Dj Does The Trick Every Time & Im Not Even Into Techno/trance But I'd Take My Chances With Coxy Rather Than Some Brutal Out Of Tune Rage Against Me Ma Type Band

hoori wrote:
    Just not true, listen to modern techno, Adam beyer, Anthony Rother,vitalic,speedy j, sven vath, even dave the drummer. Techno does not sound like carl cox any more
    listen to his recent stuff like "give me your love" and listen to his stuff from the early 90's, "the latin theme" sounds very alike. Of coarse Carl cox is booked out for the next year. he's a big name, that means nothing.
    As for doing stuff, look at DJ hell, he has his own label with so many good acts signed, club nights and he is still out there doing new stuff.

I have no interest in modern techno as i find it to be rubbish,however a guy i know is still into this scene and he seen Coxy play in the UK a few months back and said he played a blistering techno set,said he didnt recognise a lot of the stuff played leading me to believe it was all mosty new material,so therefore Carl Cox would still be at the top of the game.....

Drummer wrote:

In case you havent noticed this forum is for all forms of dance music if you want to discuss live bands there`s other forums you can do that......... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Drummer wrote:

bit of advice, dont comment on something you know nothing about cos you end up looking look a complete gob****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭motrocco

I've seen him loads of times since the 90's. Once say him 3 times in one month. He recognised my bro in Spain. Hung out with him and his misses for a bit that night. Great dj, great man.

Yeah he is housey these days but he does still do the odd techno set I believe. Redbox can be a bad venue for him. No idea why.

All in all he's one of the superstar dj's and is the one who switched a lot of us on to dance. Sir Henry's in Cork being one to remember.

Big up to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

I've never seen Carl Cox but have heard of him he's notorious for drugs sex and dance.

I wonder can any of you dance heads help me out here, i was wondering bout getting this Cd or not, the artist is Felix Da Housecat, i saw him at oxegen but was that out of it i would have danced to the banging of a gate in a winter storm.

I remember having fun but was that the booze and chemicals or the music???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I remember having fun but was that the booze and chemicals or the music???

eh, how are we supposed to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

eh, how are we supposed to know?

I'm cool i'm not a cynic

BE NICE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I haven't seen Carl Cox since I lived in Germany, left there in 97 so it was probably 96 when I saw him last and he was not all that good, I'd go as far as to say he was bad.
    It might just be because he seemed to be way behind what we were listening to in Germany at the time. I found that he ramped it up and never went anywhere with it, always full power with no chance to chill a bit and enjoy the happy haze.

Advertisement