Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eyes Wide Shut

• 10-04-2005 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Ok this may have been brought up plenty of times before, but the forum search feature is broken (!)

Eyes Wide Shut was on TV3 tonight; first time I got to see it. I had been led to believe it was utter drivel...but I actually thought it was grand. Ok so it's a tad perverted but hey! The storyline was wayyy off what I had been led to believe, and Nicole featured a lot less than expected too. I'm not a fan of Mr. Cruise playing different roles because he always come across as the same kid-faced actor...with his repetitive big grin and sorta exhale sound he's in 'a tight spot'...ie He's the same in this and Jerry Maguire!

Also the dialogue was painfully slow - is that some sorta metaphor or just there to annoy?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Bri wrote:
    Ok this may have been brought up plenty of times before, but the forum search feature is broken (!)

Eyes Wide Shut was on TV3 tonight; first time I got to see it. I had been led to believe it was utter drivel...but I actually thought it was grand. Ok so it's a tad perverted but hey!

Any thoughts?

Ah come on it's pure nonsense. Basically Kubrick getting horny and old, and an opporunity for Tom and Nicole to show us how the **** in front of us.

And flick the channel, and hey hey it's Tom and Penelope, same ****.

Self indulgent drivel IMHO. A shockingly poor movie from the mind that created Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove. It's a thoughtless excuse to pay the stars lots of cash without any *content* except nudity. Titillation for the conservative viewer.

Man I hated that movie. I will never get that 2 hrs of my life back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I'm no more claiming it's a Full Metal Jacket...just that it wasn't what I'd expected and I didn't get up with that feeling of robbed hours :D

Sorry about the edit I just thought about it a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Thought it was a good movie from what i can remember of it.Like the Russian fella who rented him his costume and his sexy daughter :D .He was in Vanilla sky also tonight,"hopefully when we meet again when we're cats" :D or something like that

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It was one of those films I wasn't too keen on while watching it, but afterwards thought it had quite a lot of merit. Then I watched it again and realised i was right the first time.

Heheh. pickarooney your Simpsons avatar reminds me of the Russian guy. What part does he play in VS?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was scratching my head there for a minute wondering when Krusty's dad had made a feature film appearance :D

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, nowhere near the pure genius of 2001 but it was fairly enjoyable to watch. I'd love to have one of those parties but with handsome nekkid men instead of the wrinkled old guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I liked it, a lot actually - I enjoyed the Masonic themes, the perversion, the decent suspense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Couldnt understand why they choose that chiller music and played about 30 times thoughtout the movie, Always made me think something was going to happen then... nothing :confused:

Ok film i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

that ritual ceremony type thingy really redeemed the film for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Bri wrote:
    Heheh. pickarooney your Simpsons avatar reminds me of the Russian guy. What part does he play in VS?

Hehe,sorry I meant Tom cruise not the russian guy... :D

Oh right I was v.impressed you'd spotted him in VS.

So what is the story behind the rituals in the house? Pure fantasy or got some grounding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Bri wrote:

So what is the story behind the rituals in the house? Pure fantasy or got some grounding?

The usual sekkrit society, lets-make-some-spoofy-ritual-to-create-bonds-between-our-members-and-make-them-feel-leet stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

There ARE many weird rituals in said 'sekrit' societies.

Trial trial of Fire and Water anyone?
    Burial in triple coffin perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Ah come on it's pure nonsense. Basically Kubrick getting horny and old, and an opporunity for Tom and Nicole to show us how the **** in front of us.

And flick the channel, and hey hey it's Tom and Penelope, same ****.

Self indulgent drivel IMHO. A shockingly poor movie from the mind that created Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove. It's a thoughtless excuse to pay the stars lots of cash without any *content* except nudity. Titillation for the conservative viewer.

Man I hated that movie. I will never get that 2 hrs of my life back.

Alright moron, listen up:
    - Tom and Nicole's characters never have sex on screen
    - The film is two and a half hours long
    Calling the film 'thoughtless' whether you like it or not shows you haven't a notion, as do nonsense phrases like 'titillation for the conservative viewer'. Care to explain that one, Ebert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Eyes Wide ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It thought it was weird after teh first time I watched it
    I knew I missed something.
    the 2nd time I noticed a few things

notice all the small hints in the film - hookers apartment has the word lottery (and later tom would have lost if he played)

The two models saying meet me at the end of the rainbow, - name of the costume shop.

Also the theme of 'a dream really just a dream' - The thought of his wife with the army guy, drives him to seek sex.

also I read up on Kubrick and his various society plots - a nice theory is found at
    http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0096.html

Thanks for the link (and the observations!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Eyes Shut is a great movie. Its a chillingly honest look at a couples relationship .. so chilling in fact that it is rumoured to have had a part to play in Tom and Nicoles break up.

• Advertisement

You should read the sociology article above. Really interesting insights and confirms a few things I spotted (if I do say so myself!).

Advertisement