Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Toyota Supra

Options
  • 10-04-2005 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a Toyota Supra. It looks like I'll need to import as there are very few for sale here in Ireland. There are huge numbers available in the UK.

I need some advice regarding choice between Turbo and Non-turbo, availability of parts as most Supras on sale are Jap imports, and anything else anyone has to offer.

Thanks

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I know there are three types, a 2.5 auto, a 3.0 non turbo and a 3.0 twin turbo.

I think the 3.0 twin turbo was the only one officially sold in Ireland and the UK.

From what I heard the 2.5 and non turbo 3.0 are not that quick especially combined with the auto gear box but some of the grey imports from Japan have been modified and chipped. The twin turbo was offically limited to 155mph.

My choice would obviously be the 3.0 twin turbo in red or silver.

Here is one for sale but unfortunately it is an auto.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=189523

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agh! Medallion man syndrome strikes!!*

Mike.

*Me guesses DubTony is 45 putting on weight and balding...! ;)

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

if you are going to buy a supra it has to be the 3.0TT and definitely manual the others are seriously underpowered when you take the weight of the car into acount, from waht i have seen parts for these are a problem here as the official toyota parts that can be got here will cost an arm and a leg, the others should be available from the uk from breakersa as id say there are a fair few crashed ones around, the interior in the supra is extremely cheap and nasty, virtually identical to the ssII & III celica, they are also a demon to get out of shape, i have been caught a few times with it just deciding that the only way forwards is sideways, and its not a very nice feeling to be looking out the side window as slide along the nass road, they reckoned the old 911's were widowmakers but i tell ya they have nothing on a supra, the supra only starts to handle well after some mods, would you consider a 3000GT (GTO) the 6 speed manual twin turbo is a blast to drive and the 4WD will keep you going in the direction intended, always prefered them to the supra, or if you could stretch to it a NSX cos its a Supercar ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Thanks for the help fellas.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

hmmm .... I think I'll need to consider my response to this very carefully. But for f***s sake Mike
    45 ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I better ban myself for a week! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Oh man... a Supra!! Along with the Skyline, EVO and MR2, that is one of my top dream cars for sure. I will definitely get one at some stage... probably a 2.5 manual, 3.0 is just too much petrol, unless I have serious wealth at that stage of my life.

There is a 95 Manual 3.0L here:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=217452

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Contact these guys: http://www.madcars.com/

They're based in Kilkenny, I've been out to their showrooms a few times, they usually have a couple of skylines and supras in stock. Stock list on the website is usually far out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I have a 300zx TT, and a gto non turbo, defo get the Supra TT, and if you are lazylike me, get the auto, the supra autobox is way more reliable than the equivalent gto/zx one. If you spend most of your time in a line crawling down the M50, then get the auto. Neither the zx nor the gto are a patch on the 911 for fun on a twisty road....careful now.

Surely an auto could never be as much fun as a manual, especially considering that 90% of the roads in Ireland are bendy and bumpy??

• Advertisement

.. and humpy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Dagon wrote:
    Surely an auto could never be as much fun as a manual, especially considering that 90% of the roads in Ireland are bendy and bumpy??
    that's why auto box has HOLD button which will allow you drop the gear -1 and lock it , keeps the rpm right and allows you to catapult the car out of the bend with nice momentum.

also i can see auto box version winning traffic lights race, where manual version has great chance to spin the wheels or even stall.

gear changes in new auto boxes are nearly instant

Tbh I get a pain in my h*** driving the 911 around Dublin, what with the clutch and all- Bear this in mind ---
    2 cars flying down a straight road in 4th gear say, , one auto TT, one manual TT. They want a 'race', automan floors the throttle and in 1 sec has flicked down 2 gears and the car takes off like a rocket - turbos spooled up all the time as it shifts back up to 3rd and on to 4th, meanwhile manual man has to clutch, change down once, do it again, and wait for boost as he goes back up the gears, ..........
    As for windy roads, you can put an auto 300zx in either 1st, 2nd , 3rd by hold it in O/D, or 4th, so I can pick gears for corners, I know cos I work at Mondello, and have taken it around doing exactly this.
    And I get to sit crawling down the m50, and I dont get a pain clutching all the time. :):)

Ratchet wrote:
    that's why auto box has HOLD button which will allow you drop the gear -1 and lock it , keeps the rpm right and allows you to catapult the car out of the bend with nice momentum.

also i can see auto box version winning traffic lights race, where manual version has great chance to spin the wheels or even stall.

gear changes in new auto boxes are nearly instant

Yes but the Supra was designed in the early 1990s so the auto box would not have been anywhere near as advanced as the ones today.

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes but the Supra was designed in the early 1990s so the auto box would not have been anywhere near as advanced as the ones today.

i was under the impression that we were talking about mk4 93-98model

Yes but that still puts the car at 12 years old. Auto boxes were not as advanced then as they are these days plus the fact that 4 out of 5 cars sold like this were probably manuals so they probably could not justify the investment in an advanced auto shifter.

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes but that still puts the car at 12 years old. Auto boxes were not as advanced then as they are these days plus the fact that 4 out of 5 cars sold like this were probably manuals so they probably could not justify the investment in an advanced auto shifter.

sorry i am lost, not sure what you mean by advanced auto shifter

If its ajap Supra/300zx/gto then 80% chance its an auto, market forces in Japan dictated that. The auto change in my Z is fairly quick, certainly quicker than a 01 merc e240.

Advertisement