Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hmm - Rename?!!

• 10-04-2005 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Ought it be renamed?
    Philosophy - :Love of Wisdom
    (How a person should aspire to live?...blah, blah?)
    Epistemology. - : The science of knowledge
    (If a tree falls in a the forest and no-one is there ....blah, blah ?)

From reading some of the posts a lot of the posts confuse
    the two different aspects - I think...

///Propocus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Philosophy is an umbrella term. Epistomology is one of the five branches of philosophy, joined by logic, ontology, metaphysics, ethics and aesthetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Ought it be renamed?
    You can't just drop the word "ought" casually into a sentence and expect to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,192 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

DadaKopf wrote:
    Philosophy is an umbrella term. Epistemology is one of the five branches of philosophy, joined by logic, ontology, metaphysics, ethics and aesthetics.

That makes six!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This place isn't quite busy enough to warrant 6 subforums!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

simu wrote:
    This place isn't quite busy enough to warrant 6 subforums!
    Thank bod for that.
    I get a headache from just reading the one forum!

LOL at Slow coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Maybe aesthetics isn't technically a branch of philosophy - not one of the classical branches anyway. But personally I think it's the most important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

aesthetics
    personally I think it's the most important

interesting

why?

me thinks things are arranged as they are for a reason[the concept of memes evolution of ideas could explain things well as well as the social and historical processes of acedemia uncovering the major areas of concern over the many years and developing them each and the system as a coherent whole],

it all fits well. if you just look at the treads on this small forum, all sort of aspects of philosophy crop up relating to different threads, talking about God for instance where epistomology,logic and infact all six subdivisions[even aesthetics a little] arise naturally in discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement