Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm away with the faeries!

Options
  • 10-04-2005 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

My house alarm is gone a bit nuts lately. I know usually these things are fairly good at letting you know what's wrong with them, but not mine.

Problem 1: Trying to set the alarm one night, keypad showing "ready to arm", no odd lights on, short code would not work (0#5). Display looked like it was waiting for more numbers. It did register the three characters, just didn't do anything with them! Tried the long code and the other short code (0#4) but to no avail. Played around like this until the alarm decided I'd pressed enough buttons and it was time to wake everybody up! I had to disconnect the power and the battery to shut it up as entering the code to stop it didn't work.
    When I powered it back up the next day the keypad worked normally and the log showed nothing other than what I did.

Problem 2: A few days later with the alarm working normally we went to unset it in the morning. Guess what? Same problem with the keypad. Enter all the codes you want but nothing would happen. Had to disconnect it again. When it was powered up again all was well and again nothing unusual in the log.

Would I be right in assuming that the keypad is just that, an interface and nothing more? And all the brains are in the main box? In other words is the problem more likely to be in the panel than the keypad? And how would I trace the problem?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How old is the system and what type is it?

It sounds like the buttons on the keypad are dirty in behind and aren't making proper contact with the rear plate.

The keypad is only a communicator and the main "brains" of the system is the panel.

Write back and tell me what system it is and ill tell you how to clean the buttons properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Clean it??? If your still using those short codes I rekon the system is at least 10 yrs old.. Spend a few bob & get a complete new system it will save you in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Alarm system is four years old. Problem was defo not dirty keypad contacts as it was making the right noises and the display was recognising that keys had been pressed.

Problem has been solved by fitting a new panel. Thanks for replies lads.

Shouldn't have had to if its only 4 years old... What make is it .. I didn't think newer systems still used those short codes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Alarm is Securewatch. I would have expected any circuit board with no moving parts to last more than four years. It is in the immersion cupboard but even through the winter the ambient temp in there should be well within the operating range of any electronic device.

Mate sorted it for a few pints with a spare board he had so all's well that ends well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

milltown wrote:
    It is in the immersion cupboard
    It could have been loose wiring....

Ah HKC! they do still use those codes. Installed 4 years ago ? then it shouldn't really be in the hot press. Standards re that changed a few years back.. Anyway that shouldn't cause any probs. Your mate got a few pints, he will probobly wangle a new one from his supplier & they get credit from manufacturer.. Everyones happy,, Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

beller b wrote:
    Ah HKC! they do still use those codes. Installed 4 years ago ? then it shouldn't really be in the hot press. Standards re that changed a few years back.. Anyway that shouldn't cause any probs. Your mate got a few pints, he will probobly wangle a new one from his supplier & they get credit from manufacturer.. Everyones happy,, Good!
    Thats if its up to standard, Most alarms aren't installed to the full standards anyway so it makes no difference to your average joe where the panel is.

Glade its sorted anyway!

Advertisement